300 blackout / whisper AR opinions

Hi all,

I'm interested in the 300 blackout / whisper in AR form.

Anybody out there using one? would like to hear pros / cons

I'd use it both super & sub sonically.

Are powders & apprporate bullets for running subs readily available?

Many thanks,

JD

I have a blackout AR. I really like it.

Pros:

Cheap to run. Uses very little powder, range pickup or once fired brass.

Versatile. Can go from sub to supersonic with a mag change.

Quiet. Shooting subsonics with my one less charlie mod, the bolt cycling is louder than the shot.

Cool. Being a bit different to everyone else is cool.

The future. If you get bored of it, a rebarrel to .223 is simple.

Cons:

Accuracy. They are not and never will be as accurate as a 223 AR. I'd describe mine as 22LR accuracy.

Range. If you are Jerry Miculek then you could probably hit targets at 1000m but realistically it's going to be 200m max for subs and 400-500m max for supers.

Powders are readily available. I use H110 as that's what AAC recommend and I can always get it. Bullets are also easy to come by, Spud sold me my last batch of 125gn Sierras which they made for supersonic blackout. I was using 220gn Sierras for subsonic but they are very expensive so I've now got some 175gn PPU to try as they don't need to be heavy in a straight pull.

They are not for everyone and they are very niche but I love mine.

Thanks Mr C, I've looked back at some older threads and you've shot some decent groups!

I'm not finding the time to use my TRG22 as it takes a while to set up targets at 600m +. The noise issue always comes into play during spring / summer as my next door neighbor lets their horses out and our cows & calves are roaming around. I always fear that if one gets spooked I'll have a load more fences to repair so I tend to shoot further afield, nearing the border of our land which brings other issues.

I'd be happy shooting upto 400m Max occasionally and doing more subsonic-ally at 100 - 200m as I could shoot much closer to home. I also fancy a straight pull!

What size groups are you getting at 200m with subs and supers?

200m super groups are around 2.5-4" on average for me but my friend can get sub 2" using my rifle as I'm $&!T in his words. Subs are around 4-5" for me dropping to less than 2" at 100m. That's all elbow resting, If I mag rest or put a bipod on they come down a little more.

It's a great steel plate whacker but no target gun.

Have you tried the lapua 200 grain subsonic bullet mr C ?

Its worked well in every one I,ve built so far.

The problem with the blackout and whisper is that people think its going to be a really accurate round, mainly because of the horse sh!t some people have posted on the net claiming 1/4" groups with subsonic loads.....which as anyone who has ever shot one will know, is absolute crap.

Subsonic rounds are never that accurate.

I too have some of the 125 sierra's but to be honest, can't bring myself to work up a load for them because subsonic is what the gun was designed for.

Have to agree, they are great fun though. :)

Thanks all for your comments. Helpful to know accuracy limitations.

It's still appealing as I'm not too bothered about ultimate precision and want something with fun factor. I enjoy hand loading and experimenting with subsonic loads would be something different.

Another thing I've read is that the .300 AAC works well with short barrels. I'd love a really compact (thinking AR with colapsible stock) rifle with a good punch! Is a 12" barrel sacrificing to much accuracy over 16 - 18" or would it make little odds at 200m Max range with subs?

Ont tinternet...but I don't believe anything on there, that's why I thought I would ask here.

There's afew American websites that state one of the benefits of .300 Blackout is that it works well in short barrels. Just wondered if thats what people are finding?

Archived