Complacent reloading

Offroad Gary

Are the flash holes on these case larger than the Norma's you were doing load development they just look big on your picture

They look big because the whole head of the case has expanded.

Cases were all trimmed to 2.039" and spotlessly clean inside, no media stuck inside. Ammo seems to check out 100% ok.

Think it is a phenomenom!

Oh well, this summers experiment of chest shooting deer with copper bullets will have to go on hold, back to the purple tips and neck shots it is!

Well mate that seems to have covered everything we talked about. I'm out of idea's at the moment on this one. It's a shame you couldn't run them over your chrony when you did the quick work-up. I must admit that's one bit of kit I always use during testing. TBH, so far I've never had a surprise, but it might have caught something in this case.

In your place I would start again. Only this time at minimum book load and run it over a chrony. At least you will have a better idea of what your rifle is giving you in the load envelope with these mono bullets.

Atb

Gary,there are a couple of bits of data that might shed some light on this otherwise puzzling/alarming event.

You test fired three Norma cases loaded 38.8,39.1 and 39.4 and they were ok.

But the same load (bullet,primer) with 38.8 g in Federal cases gave the three blown firings .

OK,if you can pull a few of the Federal loads,and check the powder type and weight (if not already done),then weigh them,weigh again full of water and get the capacity/volume average.That we don't have,and might be an explanation if it differs from the Norma cases (check them likewise).It's at best a maybe,since your blown ones are .6g less anyhow....Weight of empty cases isn't nearly so informative,it's capacity (therefore pressure) that is likely to be critical.And of course in the cases actually used/loaded in the batch (pulled bullets).The known clear difference was the change in cases,so that has to be carefully checked,perhaps eliminated-though the rest are long shots indeed.

It's unlikely it's large pistol primers,but you will know if you have any-a deprimed Federal case will give its primer and large pistol are somewhat different in thickness,from large rifle,so that is also checkable. You may have looked at the powder already. As other posts,there is enough on case volume effects to make it well worth checking that ...if possible....a twitch therapy ,if it gives an answer!

g

There could be a serious mechanical problem there somewhere.

Your pics look as though it might have fired with the breech not fully closed.

The case has come back hard against the bolt head.

I'd strongly advise getting it checked out by Robert Sajitz at Blaser before using it again. Send him the pics. robert.sajitz@blaser-sporting.com

Hauptman

Hornady make a nice press mounted bullet puller.......

As MJR said the Hornady puller is a nice item to have when needed.

I loaded 280 rounds of neck sized 308 for my Remy only to remember when shooting it that these cases were from a different rifle............... bugger; bloody fuming so pulled them all when I got in, in bed for 1.00 am no sweat lol

At least it was nice to know I have a tighter chamber than some!

Weight of water in sako case 49.6gn, weight of water in federal 53.3gn

Swiss cheese effect is the only possible explanation!

Given all of the above, any chance you used a different powder? Just a thought.

I suppose that will be checkable when the bullets are pulled.

Bullets pulled, definately the correct powder, only thing different is the brass. Flash hole does look bigger on the federal brass, even the un-buggered stuff.

I have some others to try, 55 noslers over n135, another load worked up originally in sako brass

Curiouser and curiouser!

....thought Alice (in Wonderland)

....."Welcome to my nightmare" sang Alice (Cooper)

it is odd,though!

Was Robert Sajitz 'Blase' about it?

gbal

an intrigued

why change brass at all?

did you bin the norma or run out?

I use norma exclusively.

excellent lifespan and lower pressures

Because i had 100 once fired federals that i'd prepped for someone else and i decided to use them instead. Still got the sako/norma, just need to prep it.

Just so little time, as i load for too many rifles.

Out this afternoon working a lower pressure load for one of my 47's, and swapping the scope on my r93 (going old school with a swaro tds 4-16x50, think im going to start stalking deer again for leisure, rather than sniping them)

Just had the R93 out for the first time since the "incident". Had to have the ejector replaced. She still shoots typical blaser groups, ready for mopping up some more dopey cubs! Flinch aint too bad...

E2E781B6-50CB-42B1-8E27-268F6178FD5B_zps

Archived