Competitions - Why do we do it?

Ok, this is just a discussion, prompted by a thought provoking comment made on another thread:

I'll start with my own reasonings,

I'm a member of a well known organision (BDS) who have bi-annual practice shoots internaly and three or four "interbranch" shoots each year.

The course of fire usually is based on the standard DSC1 shooting test, with some differences (like no score areas or same colour targets) this is designed to focus the mind of the shooter on the kill area of the deer rather than look for a deer in the field with a ten ring painted on its chest when in the field :D

I enjoy these informal gatherings and welcome the friendly rivalry and banter regarding "whos best" (not I, I hasten to add)

In conjunction with my stalking activities and association with the BDS, I am also a member of a large shooting association with excellent facillities in the NW (Diggle Ranges) and another who uses military ranges for "larger weapons"

Both these organisations arrange competitions that I try and enter as often as I am able to, but with family and work commitments, it is often difficult to get on a regular basis to the weekly league shoots that you have to attend to be in with a chance of success.

As and when time allows, I enter the Egg and Fly shoots and also attend the BR and tactical shoots, but the latter two I am unable to commit any serious time to be a key "player"

However, once again, it is most enjoyable, turning up at the range, having craich, taking the pixx and exchanging views on calibres, rifles and serious stuff like women sometimes :o

When I do shoot, I do my best with the equipment iv'e taken, I find it especially satisfying turning up on an infrequent basis and getting similar or better scores than those who attend the range on a weekly basis - one day maybe soon I will have more time to devote to my sport....

A few years ago, I was kindly invited to a military competition in the Czech Republic. Some of you here were also invited to this, others read the report in Target Sports or online here and on other forums.

Now I have to say, this type of competition really, really enthralled me. It was a combination of extreme accuracy shooting in all weathers, mental skill and resilliance - when shooting in stress or timed situations and stalking skills as the last excercise was a stalk into target and extract without being caught by other humans.

This style of competition is (to me) the most exillerating, it is challenging, demanding and stressfull by the nature of the targets being very small (sub minute of angle), it replicates the need to identify, range and hit precisiely the kill area (as one does when stalking deer) with the added bonus that part of the test is a stalk - pitting your wits against other humans to get to a shooting position without being caught -no higher form of quarry.

Now, this latter style of competition will dare I say, never be allowed to take place in the Health and Safety restricted island that is the UK (unless the army were to run an "open comp"?????, so in order to participate one must travel abroad - if I get invited back next year and am able to - there are no prizes for guessing what the answer will be.

The point of the post is this, my main passion is deer stalking and vermin shooting (like many others here), however, I like to practice my rifle shooting skills to prepare for my stalking and in order to see if I pass muster, I enter the odd competition (not because I like pixxing contests) but because I enjoy the whole aspect of them.

I am not a wannabe "Walt" sniper, I dont dress up in military clothing, neither do I only associate with "mil types or ask people not to take my picture as I am "active" as I know some people do :D:D

My point is this, in order to enter the types of competition that really float my boat, I cannot do it here, I have to travel a very long way, but its what I like and enjoy as it is just not available here, I have no delusions of being anywhere near the equal of the guys that do it for a living - yep I can shoot a bit, but thats only cos my field craft makes me have to (only joking) What I do find interesting is that the guys that do it for real, are just regular guys like you and I.

Competitions - why / what do you enter?

Discuss.......

Hi Ronin

Some food for thought and thanks for the edit.

There are some quite challenging "Service" shooting competions in the UK run by civilians with precision, snap and fleeting targets at various distances from 25m to 1000m so you shouldn't have to travel too far to have a go and compete.

I do agree though that there isn't much for the budding wanabee "Walt" sniper and if they turned up at one of the shoots above they would probably begin to realise that they are not as good as they think they are.

I'll be spending a few weeks in July at CENTSAAM hoping to improve my Queen's Medal standing with an L85 A2, gone from 20th to 7th to 4th in the last three years so I might get lucky but as always I'm shooting for the team not myself.

John MH

John

having thought about that comment, i'll remove it - no offence intended to any active TA members here or anywhere else.

As I've mentioned on previous threads, i run two classes of "F" class competitions for my club, F/TR & All comers, these are a year long league. I also run a one day event sporting rifle comp for those in the club who don't want heavy barrelled tac drivers but would like to compete with what they have on a familiar deer target.

I was in the middle of formulating a "sniper" comp as a one day event, using hostage targets etc, when i was told in no uncertain terms that what i was planning was a definite NO NO !! I can't call it a sniping comp and i can't use targets that look like people, faces, torsos etc.

I would have to call it something else and i could only use those shape type targets as are used for centerfire carbines, police and service as it was in the good old days, but these new targets are called disseminated pattern? Though there is a comp called sniping in the NRA calendar, it is a veteran rifle comp and therefore "pc".

My original idea was to entice those members of my club that are transfixed at shooting at 25 meters indoors and give them an idea of how exciting long range shooting could be. Our long range membership amounts to a dedicated dozen whilst there are 90 + members overall.

I'm having to reconfigure everything just because the "sniping" idea would be seen as offensive using modern rifles in the UK. I'm building on some ideas to run a "Varmint" comp instead, using A4 sized animal targets at 200 yards . Not what i envisaged but better than nowt i spose..

Why do i do it? Because i love to compete.. I don't have the money or the time to travel the length and breadth of the uk to compete in the official "F" class comps and certainly not abroad, er indoors would divorce me for sure..lol.. So, i have to bring the comps to me. I feel it's such a waste to see the same old faces "plinking" all the time when they could be honing their skills in competition. That's why i do it... :o

Grant..

Good 1st post Andy.

I've no problem with Walts -as long as they know they're Walts!

The one's who've forgotten are the ones that concern me!

Some...no names no pack drill ;) ...even have military tattoos :o -despite having never taken the Queen's shilling :);)

Not sure I understand this though:

no offence intended to any active TA members here or anywhere else.

Why not?

STABS!

:P

STABS ?

Lost me there bud :P

Second thoughts, I may have got it....

Mil tats eh,, hmm I wonder who may have them ;):)

In the uk I think Mc. Queens is good. I like that comp.

Here we can do different stuff that would be difficult to do in the uk ( not gone down the totaly PC route quite yet).

If the people who have been over here have enjoyed it them I`m happy.

David.

If the people who have been over here have enjoyed it them I`m happy.

Trust me David- were happy :);):P

Hows the new panels by the way?

Archived