Ultrasonic cleaning solution

247sniper

Hi guys,

What ultrasonic cleaning solution do you use and find what works best?

Cheers all

Steve

10% white vinegar 90% water.

Does that tarnish your cases?? What about if you cleaning something other then brass, like rifle/gun parts??

I would only use it on brass and it makes your cases very shiny. The only thing that has tarnished my cases was using just water and having it too hot.

When I do moderators I just use water and a drop of fairy liquid.

My .22 Mod was caked in carbon, would white viniga hell with that as well??

It might, it's just a very mild acid which is why it makes brass shine. I think Laurie or gbal would know the chemistry of burned powder better than I do. Baking soda also works very well for cleaning in ultrasonics, it's an alkaline. One of the two should eat into the carbon but I'm not sure which would be best. Try them both as they won't hurt anything.

I have a pro 2:8 litre ultra sonic stainless cleaner ( non heated)

I use 2:5 litres of tepid water and two caps full of sea clean and a dash of lemon juice, ( teaspoon full).

100 20 tac cases and 2 x 30 minutes cycles and they come out very clean, a quick was under the cold tap shake in a old Culander and dry in a pre heated over for about 10 mins at 150,

Never need to do anything else, I use the same mix for 50 x 6mmbr or 50 x 243 cases,

Same result

RSC

Best to think of the blackish deposits after firing as essentially carbon.Cleaning brass in sonics usually involves a mild acid solution (white vinegar is acetic acid),followed by some alkaline neurtaliser(baking soda,which is sodium bicarbonate) though commercial cleaners might well do it too-or both. Acetic acid reacts with the brass and zinc to leave soluable acetates,the copper ones redeposited on the case- so the surface of the brass may be very slightly altered,as some zinc is replaced by copper-but not a problem-the case won't dissolve away-and it's very unlikely you will notice any functional differences.But do final rinse thoroughly,and dry sensibly.

Jason Baney has done a lot of testing on mixtures and processes-there are write ups/recipies etc of his work in several places but Accurate Shooter-Ultrasonic Case Cleaning Made Easy (Blaney) is readily accessible.

Ultrasonic Cleaning Australia is a similar source.

Blaneys Best " Clean and Shiney " recipe and proceedure should enable you to avoid too much fiddling.

I haven't (yet) ventured into sonics,but as an atheist I have to rate cleanliness fairly high. But as much on function and aesthetics-some of the great accuracy shooters never clean(ed) their primer pockets,some bench rest shooters load the same cases between relays and seem to do ok.

Some of the claims are just hype-the carbon build up reduces case volume and pushes up pressures? be hard to measure that!

A complete colonic irrigation clean though cannot but help consistency,especially in ignition.

Shine on!

gbal

Cheers, thanks for your replies so far guys. ;)

Whats your thoughts on putting a squirt of KG1 Carbon remover in the water also, just a thought, it works a treat to remove the carbon from rifle barrel with ease, whats your thought on this??

I have also use and will use Demon water, my work produces and stores it buy the millions of ltrs so no shortage there! ;)

Archived