Case trimming help .

Tubs

Now i'm just starting to learn the ropes with reloading i've got the Rcbs rockchucker kit and a few little bits and have read a couple reloading books and watched lots on you tube but i started resizing my brass with my FL dies and written lots down as i go. I'm reloading 223, now my FL die resize's my brass to 1.757 most of the time depending on brass and my Hornady manual says i need to case trim to 1.750 ok i thought so i tried using my Lee cutter and lock stud as you would but i'm still not getting to the 1.750 i can only get it down to 1.754, so do i need to get a new case trimmer or will this be ok. I don't want to go any further until i'm on the right path.

1.76 is the maximum and 1.75 is the minimum. The Lee cutter is set right in the middle which is perfectly OK.

Like most things in reloading, consistency is the most important thing. As long as you trim all cases to the same length then it doesn't matter what that length is as long as it's within the specs for the case which your Lee cutter is.

In the future if you get into seriously tweaking your loads benchrest style then a more adjustable cutter may be in order but for now the Lee will serve you well.

1.76 is the maximum and 1.75 is the minimum. The Lee cutter is set right in the middle which is perfectly OK.

Like most things in reloading, consistency is the most important thing. As long as you trim all cases to the same length then it doesn't matter what that length is as long as it's within the specs for the case which your Lee cutter is.

In the future if you get into seriously tweaking your loads benchrest style then a more adjustable cutter may be in order but for now the Lee will serve you well.

That's great thanks for the reply and advice.

Cartridges cases are made to SAAMI specs,and as MrC says,the case length for 223rem is 1.760 max.

1.757 seems just right to me,as it allows a little stretch during several firings,without exceeding 1.760,and I'd take 1.57 quite happily.

Here's Gravatt and Sinclair (Precision Reloading and Shooting Handbook-an excellent advanced guide,the same Sinclair of Sinclair International reloading goodies catalog).

"You should check your cases ...and if longer than the maximium,trim them down to the maximum.Longer cases can result in bullets being crimped in by the start of the throat,and high pressure results."

A few thou' less than max is ok,and means fewer retrims; 1.760 max though....I'd be checking that Hornady figure,(1.50 may be minimum,but I'd not be wanting to go that short....unless you want an inordinately long bullet jump....but you won't.)

All brass stretches on firing-some brands of case,and cartridge design ,more than others ,and of course hot loading increases stretch. You should check your brass every few firings,but don't be surprised if you don't need to trim.G &S suggest 5 to 8 trimmings might indicate new brass needed-all that trimmed off brass has come from somewhere else on the case....worth remembering if you think eg Lapua is expensive-it may well last a bit longer ! Good Shooting

gbal

Archived