Bins and Butler creeks

Hi folks,

Got myself a Pair of Opticron bins there not so long back. I love them :rolleyes: One complaint I have is the lens caps on the objective side (scope terms) fall off easily. I could use some insulating tape inside them but don't want to. Has anyone ever used Butler Creek scope covers on their bins? I'm concerned about scratching the glass.

ATB,

John

Has anyone ever used Butler Creek scope covers on their bins?

Yes, I've got a pair of Butler Creeks on my ELs (the swarovski lens covers are crap). Very effective and I thoroughly recommend the solution!

Guest wireviz

I have never used lens covers on the objective end of my bins and have never found a reason to do so .Can any see a reason for this ?????

I have never used lens covers on the objective end of my bins and have never found a reason to do so .Can any see a reason for this ?????

DQ , Are you on drugs again? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course theres a bloody reason for them, it stops your lens getting wet and dirty...is that stating the obvious? ;);)

[Don't be a football kal it don't rain up the way do it and leica don't supply objective covers swartz supply to separate bits of really crap flappy rubber that are no use so for me after 30 years of quite successful stalking i really cant see a reason for it .PS smart ass i have never see a deerstalker (real deal ) with objective flaps its the pretenders that use them .By the time you flip flop flip all your ####### gadgets the deer have spiral staircaseed off :rolleyes: .Anyway what the #### are you doing on here you should be out training with Mr tight pants ;)

Now why do you always have to take that tone...can nobody else have wind up... :rolleyes:

You didnt get your lens covers mate because they hadnt invented them when you got your bins. ;)

Never heard of a pretender stalker have you?

Mr tight pants? Am I missing something?

Guest wireviz

JG I SEE YOUR PICTURE QUITE CLEARLY :rolleyes: for THE TIGHT PANTS GAG YOU WILL NEED TO LOOK AT THE PICTURE YOUR MATE Bambi put up ;) WITH REGARDS MY POST ILL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT DONT HAVE OBJECTIVE LENS COVERS WHO HAVE BOUGHT THERE BINS RECENT. So fact they are crap and get in the way of the real deer stalker i have seen the odd bird watcher using them but hey they are not be be confused with stalker now are they. :rolleyes:

I can certainly see the benefits of having covers on the lenses Dave at both ends.

I dont use bino's just the Swaro Laser Guide and even though they are small, when its raining the objectives do get water on them - easily done when crawling in the wet undergrowth.

My LRF's are waterproof and have the lens coatings youve mentioned, but there are still "water spots" on them, had I lens covers, I am sure there wouldnt be.

How many stalkers do you see with a flap of leather covering the ocular side of their bins - loads around my way mate, why do you think that is - to protect the lenses because the manufacturers own caps are not well designed.

Its very easy to criticise others who you say are "pretenders" - after all, you are well known within the deer community as an expert.

What do you use to protect your bino's or dont you bother, buying a new pair for every outing perhaps?

John,

In the unlikely event that you choose to ignore such well-presented 'expert' advice to the contrary :rolleyes: and continue to pursue your farcical notions of using bino lens caps:

To enlarge on my answer to your original question: This is how Butler Creeks look on my ELs; as you can see, had to take a sharp knife to them to make fit (the chipped look is just flaked olive paint).

You can open the caps with the little finger on each hand...and, contrary to 'expert opinion', they'll be open long before you have the binos up to your face.

P1010158.jpg

John,

In the unlikely event that you choose to ignore such well-presented 'expert' advice to the contrary :rolleyes: and continue to pursue your farcical notions of using bino lens caps:

To enlarge on my answer to your original question: This is how Butler Creeks look on my ELs; as you can see, had to take a sharp knife to them to make fit (the chipped look is just flaked olive paint).

You can open the caps with the little finger on each hand...and, contrary to 'expert opinion', they'll be open long before you have the binos up to your face.

P1010158.jpg

Ive seen this before and it seems to be quite good, well its only ok if your a pretender, experts dont need such gadgets...they just teleport in over the top of the deer and slot them. :blush:

I must admit that although it looks like a good idea I don`t use them in the field.I do leave the caps on when transporting and have in the past mistakenly left them on whilst stalking so I can see Daves point about it being another thing to remember to do

I usually stalk in some kind of smock with the large central pocket on the front (a la Nomad) and the binos slip in there for protection so I personally can`t see the need for myself but each to their own :blush:

Lets keep this insult free eh lads.We are only talking about lens caps after all :rolleyes::blush:

Guest wireviz

Ronin and the rest being an expert is hard work others are always trying to put you down :blush: .But ideas that work are good the ones that don't are bad and will remain in things like stupid photographs :rolleyes: I have got optical lens covers that came with the bins they are in fact very good un like others eg swartz who's lens covers just don't seem to do it. you see i carry my bins round my neck and when it rains i can pop on the rubber cover all lens cover but because it dont rain up the way i don't need to pop up covers on the bottom AND WHILE THEY SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA AFTER USE TO KEEP POPING THEM CLOSED WOULD BE A ####### NIGHT MARE . I have been known to crawl the odd time being the type of chap that likes to get in close and personal and its easier to slip my bins in my jacket stops them bouncing up and down on the grass mud or any other surface i am on. This life is about choices and mine is to leave the front caps were they should be and that's in the box.

http://www.deer-stalking.com/ go to general discussion and then new zealand trip 6-7 posts down this one is for kale but others might want to look and see i have got a sense of humor and more so when i am pissed :blush:

Ronin and the rest being an expert is hard work others are always trying to put you down .But ideas that work are good the ones that don't are bad and will remain in things like stupid photographs I have got optical lens covers that came with the bins they are in fact very good un like others eg swartz who's lens covers just don't seem to do it. you see i carry my bins round my neck and when it rains i can pop on the rubber cover all lens cover but because it dont rain up the way i don't need to pop up covers on the bottom AND WHILE THEY SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA AFTER USE TO KEEP POPING THEM CLOSED WOULD BE A ####### NIGHT MARE . I have been known to crawl the odd time being the type of chap that likes to get in close and personal and its easier to slip my bins in my jacket stops them bouncing up and down on the grass mud or any other surface i am on. This life is about choices and mine is to leave the front caps were they should be and that's in the box.

A well-written and cogent argument.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Guest wireviz

Brown dog your reply was well thought out it is great they way you can remove a small section of a post to try and ridicule some one .But like the harry chap it is you who will look foolish. But like said there are some people how like gadgets and really get off on having pockets full of useless crap. James if you need to get pop up scope covers to stalk deer then whats stopping you but you have been stalking a few years and haven't used them .The reason i would suggest is there no use and you just wanted to be a xxxx again go paint some fools rifle . :rolleyes:

:blush:

Edited to remove insult 12:47hrs 01/06/2008 by Ronin.

Keep it clean David please, you have already been asked by WSM, no need for further warning is there?

hi all

i dislike Butler creaks and don't have them on anything i use for stalking. (i use the Leupold covers and would recommend them over anything that is available.they are silent when you open them)

this can not be said for the Butler creaks,as they make a pop sound when you open them and this in my opinion is a very pore design.

i do use my leica supplied caps, on both ends but i only shut the bottoms if i am crawling along the ground,(this does not happen very often :blush: ) i find the leica covers very good,

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

for THE TIGHT PANTS GAG YOU WILL NEED TO LOOK AT THE PICTURE YOUR MATE Bambi put up :lol:

Hey Dave I would like to see a photo of you in your shorts, or for a even bigger laugh, a photo of you wearing my shorts that would really be "TIGHT PANTS" :lol::lol::lol:

Bin's:- nothing on my objectives len if there was the things would be worn out after a weekend stalking with the amount of time I spent picking the bin's up to look though then back down again. :D

Best rgds

B-b

Guest wireviz

[Good you have a sense of humor Bambi i think you should re think your stalking strategy as them butler creek things look like a top idea :D PS Andy WSM has not warned me this is your baby your the only one on this me thinks. You know how the saying gose wind your neck in a bit. :lol::lol:

200158441-001.jpg

here you go Bambi

Guest wireviz

Your only picking om me because i am black BB :lol: nO I NEVER MISSED THAT wsm it didnt feel like a warning more of a back hander :D

Archived