270win case what calibres from it?

Get your thinking caps on lads :rolleyes: , I want to have some suggestions on what can be made from the 270win case , got an action sitting here doing nothing and looking for another project to play with :rolleyes: , I am having a 6MMBR done at the Mo by DASHERMAN which I cant wait to get my paws on ;);) .

I would love to know what Wildcat rounds are made from it and also if anyone has done any of them ?

CHEERS Andy.

Andy, joking apart, how extreme do you want to go? Don't discount the 25-06. Mine is incredibly accurate and devastating on varmints with 75 grain Hornady HP's, which it shoots to the same POI as my 100 grain deer load!

Very basically, the parent case for the 270 is I think the 30-06, both the 270 and 25-06 are necked down versions of the larger parent case.

The 25-06 will do anything you want with UK deer species, but bullet choice remains limited, although find one that works and you have a genuine "do all" deer rifle. I wouldnt be without my own 25-06.

The much maligned 270 is also an excellent cartridge, I loved mine.

Wildcats for the 06 case?

There are AI versions of the 25, 27 and 30 cals, but in all honesty, the benefits do not outweigh the hassle of making the cases (200 fps extra at best aint worth it)

Theres the 6mm-06 and 6.5mm-06 wildcats both construed to be "barrel burners" - the 6.5mm-06 has had some success in the States in F Class.

The 6.5mm - 06 is sometimes referred to as the 6.5mm A-Square, a company who makes ammunition for large game hunting - they also make a 338-06 version!

Going bigger there are some other wildcats but i'm not sure you want bigger?

You have a donor long action, that would be suitable to make any calibre rifle that uses the .473" boltface (or consider opening out the bolt face to accomodate a magnum round - WSM perhaps)

Rather than use a long action cartridge, I would consider thinking laterally - maybe a 6.5x284 using 140g bullets (need a long action for reliable mag feed)

Or a 7mm-08 AI using heavy for calibre bullets (seated to maximise powder capacity) also a straight 284 Winchester with the same idea re heavy for calibre bullets?

I'm sure Neil (Dasherman) will be able to advise you, probably better than I on the choices that are open and available to you.

Enjoy!

hi

i would not open the bolt face up to a WSM as it kinda defeats the purpose of a short magnum.

is there a 7mm 06 out there?? i think one of them would be a good choice, no messing with the bolt face and the Superior ballistics of the 7mm bullet.

or as ronin says just make it a 25 06 they are very flat and will deal well with any of the deer over here.

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

Get your thinking caps on lads :lol: , I want to have some suggestions on what can be made from the 270win case , got an action sitting here doing nothing and looking for another project to play with :D ,

Andy

I was in the same position as you and came down to a choice of two calibres 6.5-06 or 280AI In the end I went for 280AI in part because I wanted a calibre that I could us on boar if needed. I looked at 7mmWSM but as Col says this would mean opening up the bolt face, would reduce magazine capacity and possible feeding issues from the mag’. The WSM was not giving me a lot more velocity in the normal bullet weights I would be using.

You can buy from Nosler, custom brass ready sized and head stamped 280AI it is top quality brass according to the yanks up there with Laupa. From last year it is a SAMMI recognised cartridge.

I can’t see why a 6.5-06 should be any more a barrel burner than 25-06, remember that in metric the 25-06 would equal 6.4-06, also you would probably run the 6.5 on heavier bullets 130/140 so this too would lead to less throat erosion.

I was talking to a chap this morning who had a 6-06 ran it on 75/80gns and was getting barrel erosion after 500 rounds, but for most guys that would be a lot of deer/foxes.

Best rgds

B-b

like said above, you have a long action receiver with a pretty standard bolt face. by putting a new barrel on it you can have most anything you want.

If you are saying 270 because you have a bunch of cases, then you have 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, and 35 whelen as standard cartridges. The 6 and 6.5 versions are wildcats, though I think a-square might be making 6.5-06 ammo right now. From your name I'd guess you have a 243 already and you say that you have a 6BR in process. That would make a 25-06 kinda pointless. The 6.5 would be a nice step up from a 6mm if you handload. You must not want a 270 or else you wouldn't be changing it. In that case the 280 and 30-06 are almost duplicates (the 6.5-06 wouldn't be far off either). You could bump up to a 35 whelen (.35-06) if you like to shoot bigger critters.

Alternatively, you can run a short cartridge through a long action. You've got 6mm covered. A 260 rem or 7mm-08 makes for a nice light recoiling gun with some punch. You could go 6.5x284 if you wanted.

If you wanted to go really extreme then stick with your 243 brass and neck it down to 22 cal in any of the configurations. The middlestead makes for some high BC/heavy bullet flinging in 22 cal.

thanks

rick

I vote for the 280. For bad / tough animals just use 175 grain bullets. Nothing like an inch and a quarter long round nose at 2500 fps+ to stop the bad intentions of a maladjusted creature of nature. I once watched a fellow take a very large and angry black bear in the chest with that load and the bear skidded to a stop on it's nose.

I built maybe 10 rifles in this caliber and never heard a complaint. Heavy bullets for elk and light bullets for prairiedogs. Slick cartridge.~Andrew

PS: I am fond of the 6.5/06 as well. I built one of those for myself!

My father bought a custom rifle a few years ago from Callum at PRS, which was a 270 case necked down to a 6mm, Callum was selling this as a 6mm Catbird, more like Tigerhawk, probably has the slight edge velocity wise over my 6mm/284 around 4000-4200 fps, with 68g Barts depending on powders/primers.

When I had my swift rebarrelled to 220 AI, I contemplated the 22/284, but decided I'd probably need to order two barrels at the same time, ;) approximately 10 grains more powder than the AI, read and researched a fair about the 22/284, and should imagine it would be similar to the 22/270, awesome flat shooting round, maybe go for a faster twist to utilize higher bc bullets.

Cheers steve

Archived