Brass cleaning

Triumph045

I like ultrasonic for the cases with smaller .264 and below and steel pins for the bigger - reason beeing I find it really annoying when the steel pins get stuck / wedged into the case necks especially on 6.5 cal. Prefer the finish from the pin media too

Regards

0000 wire wool on the necks to remove any fouling - reload and shoot them - who cares if they shine or not?

Mike

Spot on, anything else is a waste of time and money, unless you're picking up brass that has been trodden in mud.

Ultrasonic here - just a few drops of washing-up liquid and hot water does the trick on lightly-fouled brass for us.

Thanks for the responses fellas.

Can't say I'm overly bothered about shiny (Aesthetically clean) brass, but do want it clean enough so that crud doesn't affect accuracy. With regard to the wire wool method, how do you deal with the inside of the case and the primer pocket?

Gunnery

Love it no messing just give them a quick scrub and get f******* shooting

Reminds me of a Rick Mayall character in Blackadder

that's because I have tried all types of ways and really no machine or device gets them any cleaner than the old wire wool just my view

All I do with mine is spin them in a drill with 0000 wire wool on the outside of the necks, nylon brush on the inside of the neck don't usually bother with primer pockets but if I do I use a primer pocket uniformer set so it just scrapes the crap out.

If I've been FL resizing then I'll chuck them in a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media just to get the lube off.

The Stainless pins does get the brass very clean however you have to be carefull to rinse the brass well and dry them as it will leave unsightly marks on the case. The other problem that this system has is that you will need to chamfer your necks again both inside and out as the pins cause damage to the edges on the case mouth. Its a good thing to use once a year on a batch of brass but other than that wire wool and a tumbler with walnut media to remove lube if used.

I have tried Ultrasonically cleaning cases and yes it works, however life is too short to f*nny about, so I just use very fine wire wool on the external of the cases. As for the inside of the case mouth, I just give a quick in and out with a nylon brush. This leaves some carbon on the inside of the case mouth which apparently is beneficial to bullet seating and leaves 'lubrication' in the neck. If you remove all of the burnt carbon by ultrasonically cleaning, you will need to put some graphite in the case mouth as butt naked metal on metal is not desirable. Pick whatever system floats your boat.

Archived