scopes from USA in suitcase?

mike82

Good afternoon,

I'm looking to buy a new scope and after much searching on the internet I have decided that I would like to buy a scope that isn't available in Europe. The model in question being Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 this is a North American product only(can be had for about $1100)I understand that importing a scope is a no-no these days (was fine a few years ago!) I have some friends visiting the states for a holiday would they be able to buy one and bring back on suitcase legally?

Regards,

Mike

Not legally if it's on the ITAR list unless they apply for a licence and wait several months for it to be granted.

Otherwise it's orange jumpsuit territory.

It may not be on the ITAR list though as it tends to be ones with mildot/milrad reticles.

If its not then you just need to declare it at customs and pay 20% to be legal.

Ha, just as well I'm checking! One I was looking at had Z600 reticle (ballistic drop type) they do a plex ret with target turrets, that would have been a second choice. How do you check if it's not on the list? Is there a website to search??

Items not generally listed by make and model... the whole thing is a nightmare I get the opinion that they are making it up as they go along, my initial understanding was that stuff for sporting purposes was exempt..... not that certain now.

Scopes designated for military use and those with enhancements like built in night vision etc. are on the ITAR list. Unfortunately the "list" doesn't seem to be available to look at.

Normal hunting and target shooting scopes are perfectly OK to bring back, of course if someone is bringing it back for you be aware there's a £390 limit before being liable for the usual import duty and any VAT etc.

Also, do not put it in a suitcase as it could easily get damaged due to the rough handling. Best bet is to take it on in hand luggage, this is the advice I was given by the TSA when I brought my Sightron SIII back with me.

The only specification in ITAR is "Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications, and specifically designed or modified components therefor". It seems to be a self imposed thing, so if a company calls a scope 'milspec' it's restricted even if it doesn't actually have anything to do with a specific military design requirement.

The only real way to know is to talk to the relevant US department. It may just be easier to chose a different scope though.

Yes, I'm aware of duty and vat. Even with those applied it is a cheap scope (plus you can't get it over here). If that's the case it's only mil-spec will larger shops export via mail? Gonna be paying duty/vat regardless??

• 3 weeks later...

Its funny as this scope id tried to get 3-4 month back . Tried last night thru brownalls but even signed in it wont let you highlight this perticular conquest HD5 range , the others will highlight ! After chatting with spud and William evans ( a few month back William evans! ) in London i couldn't get one . Some reason i dont want to remember , i spoke to mike82 yesterday and low and behold iv got one on the way . Happy days. Thanks mike for the pointer .

Archived