Laminated Wind Aid Memoires (French MoA/Yardage System)

With Special thanks to RN Submariner for his help in putting me in contact with his French opposite at NATO headquarters in Brussels.

Who I might add has kindly given me access to the French Military MoA/Yardage system as used by the French Navy.

The French competitors who shoot alongside us are very often at a disadvantage due to being taught to shoot using the French system of MoA, and the marginal difference of the French yard. (Worth .067 MoA per English yard

The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that I have not put any corrections in for the Mistral.

This is simply because of the lack of suitable ranges in the Provence and Languedoc regions. However if one is lucky enough to shoot in the Camargue and the Mistral is blowing (usually around 50Km/h or 31 mph). Then take the reading for, Trés fort and add Fr 2 MoA at all ranges up to Fr 300. After that add Fr 1 MoA for every increase in Fr 100.

Those of you familiar with the French system will know that at Fr 400X the French MoA corresponds roughly with the English MoA. But at the shorter distances one has to multiply the distance by 00378 (Fr MoA) and then divide by the English MoA to achieve parity with those who are using Scopes in the French MoA system.

I believe Schmidt & Bender won the contract for the French naval sniper scope and then refused to deliver when it was apparent that they had to be manufactured in the Fr MoA system!

To that end I have had the English windage cards translated and converted to the French system for our Gallic competitors.

The Fr Yard/ Fr MoA conversion was fairly straightforward and done by me. However the cost of translating the rest of document into French was far more costly than anticipated, so sadly the price of all 4 cards has risen from £10 (13·75) to £15 (20.62).

Peter Cottrell has told me that there will be at least 27 French competitors at this years CSR Imperial match.

Because of the high number of French speakers Peter has told me that he has obtained the services of a French military RCO who will be in complete charge of one of the butts. However, it is entirely possible that some of us may have to shoot on the same butt as our French chums.

Because of this I have printed on the back of the French Fr600X card the French Military equivalent of our own STOP, STOP, STOP.

Which is: Lapin Blanc, Lapin Blanc, Lapin Blanc.

standard.jpgstandard.jpg

Stop stop stop = white rabbit white rabbit white rabbit ?

Dates back to an event at Agincourt. The French king had ordered the Drap d'Or raised; but the signal was cancelled due to an apparition that emerged before the flag bearer.

Yep,Agincourt clinches it-obviously these French were not using the older Roman Julian Calendar,but Pope Gregoire X11's new 1582 Gregorian Calendar,which moved the new year forward three months-the Academie Francois say backward 9 months-and the Michelin guide replaced the traditional meal of roast turkey with Poisson D'Avril.

Bon apetit.

Archived