Clean dispatch distance for a 12 ft/lb Air Rifle

Jamie

Hi folks.

I'm after some constructive advice/reminder.

A brief explanation to put you in the picture.

I've recently acquired a new permission. Not huge at around 38 acres, but lots of "relaxed" quarry around.

The main reason I gained the permission, was on recommendation. Which is always nice....

The main problem the land owner has is fox and rats. (Fox mainly at lambing time) But he also wants the rabbit population thinned out a bit, and any passing pigeons sorted when I'm there.

I'll need the land looked at by my local FEO as my FAC is closed. Personally, I'll be surprised if it gets cleared for rimfire, let alone centrefire...

So for now I'll be doing a little decoying, and dusting off my Air Arms S410. Which brings me to my point. I'm not a bad shot, but to be honest, it's been a while since I've used a "standard power" air rifle to carry out pest control. Rats won't be an issue as were only talking 15-20 yards maximum, and that's what I've mainly used it for, for some time.

But I'm reluctant to shoot anything over 25-30 yards for fear of the pellet not retaining enough energy/velocity to achieve a clean kill, or at least within a few seconds.

So; with all things being as equal as they could ever be, and safety taken as a given, what sort of distance would be the maximum I should shoot a pigeon or rabbit at?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie.

Edited for clarification.

A post I put up on another, non-shooting, forum:

"Buy a packet of 30mm "fluorescent" stick-on labels from Staples or WH Smith. (30mm is a useful approximation of the size of the "vital zone" of a rabbit)

Zero your sights carefully.

Set up a target at, say, 50 feet. Using the exact kit you will use for hunting, and firing from the position you will use (prone, kneeling etc.), fire a slow, deliberate series of five shots at the target. Did they all hit the centre of the disc? Excellent. Move the target out 10 feet and try again.

As soon as even one pellet fails to hit the disc, you have discovered the maximum range at which you can shoot without taking the chance of maiming a living creature and condemning it to a slow, painful death.

Fire a series of shots at different ranges so that you can master the hold-over/hold-under for your particular rifle/pellet/hold combination.

Never overestimate your abilities: An animal can die a horrible death if you get cocky and think that you can shoot better than you are actually able to.

Remember an ancient Greek saying: "The boys throw stones at the frog in fun, but the frog dies in earnest." "

maximus otter

You've answered your own question. At what range are you reliably confident of hitting the kill zone?

Apologies, I worded it incorrectly. I can headshot a rabbit or body shot a pigeon at 50 yards easy enough. But, will a pellet retain enough kinetic energy or velocity to kill the rabbit or pigeon outright, or within a few seconds at that distance?

I'll edit my post.

Cheers.

There is enough energy even in a 12fl/lbs air rifle pellet to kill rabbits and pigeons well after you cannot hit the kill zone. As has already been suggested, keep your distances to whatever you can shoot a 1" group, if you could reliably do this at 70yds (which you won't be able to do) the pellet would still retain enough energy to humanely dispatch the quarry.

Generally 40-50yds is a very good shot with a 12ft/lbs air rifle and 35yds more the norm.

You've answered your own question. At what range are you reliably confident of hitting the kill zone?

Apologies, I worded it incorrectly. I can headshot a rabbit or body shot a pigeon at 50 yards easy enough. But, will a pellet retain enough kinetic energy or velocity to kill the rabbit or pigeon outright, or within a few seconds at that distance?

I'll edit my post.

Cheers.

A post I put up on another, non-shooting, forum:

"Buy a packet of 30mm "fluorescent" stick-on labels from Staples or WH Smith. (30mm is a useful approximation of the size of the "vital zone" of a rabbit)

Zero your sights carefully.

Set up a target at, say, 50 feet. Using the exact kit you will use for hunting, and firing from the position you will use (prone, kneeling etc.), fire a slow, deliberate series of five shots at the target. Did they all hit the centre of the disc? Excellent. Move the target out 10 feet and try again.

As soon as even one pellet fails to hit the disc, you have discovered the maximum range at which you can shoot without taking the chance of maiming a living creature and condemning it to a slow, painful death.

Fire a series of shots at different ranges so that you can master the hold-over/hold-under for your particular rifle/pellet/hold combination.

Never overestimate your abilities: An animal can die a horrible death if you get cocky and think that you can shoot better than you are actually able to.

Remember an ancient Greek saying: "The boys throw stones at the frog in fun, but the frog dies in earnest." "

maximus otter

I agree with your post totally.

As I said to Shuggy, I worded my post badly. I've edited it to clarify my point.

Jamie

There is enough energy even in a 12fl/lbs air rifle pellet to kill rabbits and pigeons well after you cannot hit the kill zone. As has already been suggested, keep your distances to whatever you can shoot a 1" group, if you could reliably do this at 70yds (which you won't be able to do) the pellet would still retain enough energy to humanely dispatch the quarry.

Generally 40-50yds is a very good shot with a 12ft/lbs air rifle and 35yds more the norm.

Thanks Al,

I had 35-40 yards in my mind, but I didn't want to put it to chance.

Jamie

I find it helpful to think about brains and chests, rather than heads and bodies.

No amount of kinetic energy from an airgun will kill a gut-shot pigeon or a jaw-shot rabbit within a reasonable period of time.

I find it helpful to think about brains and chests, rather than heads and bodies.

No amount of kinetic energy from an airgun will kill a gut-shot pigeon or a jaw-shot rabbit within a reasonable period of time.

Really!? I feel enlightened.... :rolleyes:

I personally think 30mm is too big

That's an inch or near enough, no sets targets up on breezy days in light rain with the added pressure of quarry

20mm is a better margin to allow for some errors

when it comes to accuracy if you want to prove a personal point do it at random undetermined distances and see how good you are

no one has asked about calibre or pellet weight

it may well have 12ftlbs at the muzzle but a heavy for calibre pellet travelling slower will carry more energy down range than a super light MV buster

I use bisley magnums in .177

they will happily kill birds and rabbits out to 40 maybe 50 yds

but in my opinion there are too many that die quickly but not quick enough at those ranges

I want instant drop not skip away down a hole hits

a .22 will hit harder IMO

Archived