I want to buy a proper digital camera

JohnGalway

Hi folks,

Hope I'm putting this in the right section ;) For a while now (OK like two years...) I've been wanting to buy a digital camera. I asked elsewhere in '06 and I think Lumix and Canon came out with thumbs up. The advice I was getting then was about lens quality and optical zoom rather than digital zoom (that one I actually understand!) :yes: What else do I need to know?

I'll be taking my usual photos of what I shoot, some close up photos of guns and equipment and also some landscape shots to show where I hunt etc.

It'll need to be reasonably user friendly :D

I'll have it out and about with me so size matters :o

My budget is around the £300 mark, can go a little over that but don't really want to if I don't have to, basically picked a number but I don't need the best camera ever produced nor do I want some cheap crappy thing I will take joy from when I shoot it with my shotgun out of frustration...

Thanks for any and all replies,

John :)

My choice would be the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 at less than £210 now.

I have one, it has an 18X zoom lense which equals 28 to 504mm on an ordinary 35mm film camera.

It has a LEICA lense and optical image stabilising.

It uses the common SD card , this camera is small and light.

I have a Nikon D80 with 170-500mm lense also but I always pick up the tiny Lumix.

Feed Lumix DMC-FZ18 into Google search for details.

Picture below taken with the Lumix tonight. Program mode set at ISO400 ,auto exposure F3.6 at 1/200 of a second.a>

John in my experience the panasonic lumix is pretty good but I have at the minute a samsung digimax l60, its a bit older but photo quality is exceptional especially in low light, compared to the lumix its in another leauge, in my personal opinion of course.

Heres a pic from the lumix in low light

DigitalCamera117.jpg

heres a pic from the digimax in low light

STP60843.jpg

The digimax is also great for close up detail pics when you macros, look at the detail in this photo, you can see everything

STP60869.jpg

it also takes some pretty good video as well, this is my mate videoing me last year, even he could work the camera ;)

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/cr...alCamera262.flv

I am sure with the digmax you could fiddle around and get it too work very well but the samsung is just brilliant from the start, always leave the flash on as it adjusts acordingly and if you are taking some close ups detail pics just push the macros button which is like a little flower, cant get much simpler than that.

John

I can second Stags info I too bought the Lumix FZ18 and it is a very good and light to carry. I also have a Canon series 3 which is even better but cost more money.

You want optical zoom which is a function of the lens makeup and magnifies the image before it gets to the ccd screen in the camera and so does not really degrade the image.

The digital zoom takes the picture you took and enlarges it digitally and so the image quality deteriorates rapidly as you are magnifying the same number of pixcels by moving them further apart not increasing the actual number of them, digital zoom is for the bin ;) .

Taken at night with Lumix ( craigy yours needs setting up)

P7290001.jpg

Hope this helps you.

Redfox

CB,

That Samsung takes very good pictures indeed ;) Am very impressed with them actually!

RF,

Have you any close up shots with the Lumix by chance? Just that I'll definately be doing some should anything, God forbid, go wrong with my rifle or if I'm trying to show someone something.

Cheers for all the replies guys, this is very helpful stuff for me, thanks again :D

Bleary eyed this morning so I'll come back on this evening and fully digest all the info!

John

John

most if not all the pics I have posted on here have been taken with a Nikon Coolpix P5000, it is within your budget.

Its good up close

DSCN0799.jpg

Has decent lens

DSCN0483.jpg

and is great for fun snaps

DSCN0851.jpg

I do find it a bit wanting when doing close ups with flash, but maybe I expect too much of the camera?

Shiny surfaces and flash never was a good combination.

strippedbolt.jpg

Ive had it a couple of years maybe it is updated now, but here is a link to a review of it:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-came...oolPix-P5000/p1

I like Nikon cameras, solid, reliable and very high quality, the digital compact saves me lugging the 35mm F4 around which is a monster in comparision.

John, many will do the job.This pic I took with an old Sony 2 meg camera, it

is just very difficult to get a good picture. We do a lot of close up photos in

our quality control, when they wanted to buy a new camera I told them to

take a few parts along into the shop and try and see if the camera can focus

well on close up pieces. I have a Nikon coolpix with 5 megs which is quite good

but our new little sony with zeiss lens is better. It will focus better with less light needed.

edi

DSCN0571.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. I went for a Samsung L830, in a very nice red :) It arrived this morning and i've been out, without reading the destructions, and had a play. Got one photo I am happy with lol. Once I figure out how to get it from the camera to the computer I'll post it, I know ye all just can't wait lol.

Still getting used to it but happy so far, just done close ups for now.

I liked the colours.

SL380006.jpg

I wanted to see how I'd fare with some equiptment shots, should I run into problems (inevitably) and need a handy thousand words in one shot.

SL380013.jpg

SL380014.jpg

Again, thanks very much to everyone who posted :)

Guest wireviz

Thanks stag i was very chuffed the way it came out .Not a patch on your ones but every now and then like the pro golfers we get a birdie and all the double boggies seem to fade in to the distance.

That was through a glass window out to 20 mtrs the lieca glass pays off at times like that.

P1000795.jpg

THIS PICTURE WAS TAKEN OVER TWO HUNDRED YARDS OFF

Guest wireviz

I have the DMC- FZ8 COST 179 WITH A 2 GB CARD IT AINT THAT BIG JUST POPS IN MY ROE BAG. OR IN MY POCKET I DONT PUT THE BIG DUST COVERS ON JUST THE CAMERA

From the bridge on 2 x zoom

P1000716.jpg

from the same spot on 12x zoom

P1000720.jpg

I have the DMC- FZ8 COST 179 WITH A 2 GB CARD IT AINT THAT BIG JUST POPS IN MY ROE BAG. OR IN MY POCKET I DONT PUT THE BIG DUST COVERS ON JUST THE CAMERA

From the bridge on 2 x zoom

P1000716.jpg

from the same spot on 12x zoom

P1000720.jpg

mmmmm an early Birthday pressie may be on the cards,

Thanks Wireviz

Guest wireviz

[When we take photos will it put us off shooting the animals and birds i mean how could you shoot one of Britain's most beautiful birds.

mapie4.jpg

Archived