Sako Quad replacement under warranty

geek

I purchased my Sako Quad at the end of last year and recently had a problem inserting the bolt (no funny comments needed!), the RFD where it was purchased fixed the issue the first time it happened and a couple of week ago it happened again at the range (spoiled a day out): returned to the RFD and it has now been replaced under warranty (i.e. a complete new rifle).

Other than the pain of a variation to allow me to receive the new rifle (exactly same type) from the RFD - the joys of UK firearms legislation!! As anyone else had any similar issues / problems with new rifles.

I purchased a Sako in the belief that it was a quality product - this has soured the experience.

have heard of a few issues with the old sako quad with regard to feed and extraction of some brand of rounds but not of something as fundamental as not being able to get the bolt in

The extraction issue is only on some and easily fixed

I have two in .22lr

can you describe the bolt issue?

The bolt just couldn't be inserted, it was catching on the left hand side (when viewed from the shooting position), the left hand corner of the bolt was burred and rough.

It was used once after the first fix, then the problem returned.

Not sure if I would buy another Sako now?

In Sako's favour it has been a no quibble replacement.

• 2 months later...

Hi, just read this. I bought a Sako Quad about 8 yrs ago. I pushed the boat out, specing the heavy varmint barrel in 22LR, 17HMR, and 22WMR in a very nice Walnut stock.

I was always disappointed with the accuracy in the 22LR and the 17HMR. The 22magnum was acceptable to me with the ammo it liked, but the other two were poor. It was so unpredictable I wouldn't take bunnies beyond 80m.

The other main issue I had, was when using 22subs. I had purchased 1000 Eley subs only to find it would not extract a live round from the chamber. The extractor just slipped over the rim of the case, leaving it in the chamber. I wasn't going to bin them or give them away so my unload was the last shot I fired.

I eventually moved the 17 and 22LR barrels on replacing them with a Savage and a Cz but that's another story.

In my view the Quad just didn't step up. It was beautiful to look at but not a viable shooter.

My other Sakos all step up.

Hi, just read this. I bought a Sako Quad about 8 yrs ago. I pushed the boat out, specing the heavy varmint barrel in 22LR, 17HMR, and 22WMR in a very nice Walnut stock.

I was always disappointed with the accuracy in the 22LR and the 17HMR. The 22magnum was acceptable to me with the ammo it liked, but the other two were poor. It was so unpredictable I wouldn't take bunnies beyond 80m.

The other main issue I had, was when using 22subs. I had purchased 1000 Eley subs only to find it would not extract a live round from the chamber. The extractor just slipped over the rim of the case, leaving it in the chamber. I wasn't going to bin them or give them away so my unload was the last shot I fired.

I eventually moved the 17 and 22LR barrels on replacing them with a Savage and a Cz but that's another story.

In my view the Quad just didn't step up. It was beautiful to look at but not a viable shooter.

My other Sakos all step up.

Thanks for the response, I did consider a CZ, but purchased a Sako Quad on my understanding that it was a quality product, maybe I was just unlucky.

My biggest moan is that the POI is massive between the two barrels (I have .22LR and .22WMR), which means re-zeroing every time barrels are changed: didn't expect them to be perfect but not as far apart as they are (so don't switch barrels much, which defeats the objective of a switch barrel firearm). Have been wondering if I could get a Sako Quad action and make them two separate rifles: but that then gets even more expensive (two scopes etc.).

Never had a problem with the quad varmint in WMR excellent well made very accurate rifle

Got it in LR , two returns to GMK. Still not workable, sent it back as not fit for purpose, sold off the WMR as well now

Have now three. Weihrauch HW60J's in 22 LR, 22 WMR and 222. Well made, superb trigger and very very very accurate

I am happy that you have got it sorted . But I have to admit I had the sako quad synthetic in 17 and 22 and both where dead on for the money, I was going to get them both cut down to 16" but as they both shot that well as they where I left them,as is,

They are now,with my brother up north and he has had no issues with them at all,

Good news you got it,sorted and I wish you well.

RSC.

I am happy that you have got it sorted . But I have to admit I had the sako quad synthetic in 17 and 22 and both where dead on for the money, I was going to get them both cut down to 16" but as they both shot that well as they where I left them,as is,

They are now,with my brother up north and he has had no issues with them at all,

Good news you got it,sorted and I wish you well.

RSC.

Thanks for the response, I did consider a CZ, but purchased a Sako Quad on my understanding that it was a quality product, maybe I was just unlucky.

My biggest moan is that the POI is massive between the two barrels (I have .22LR and .22WMR), which means re-zeroing every time barrels are changed: didn't expect them to be perfect but not as far apart as they are (so don't switch barrels much, which defeats the objective of a switch barrel firearm). Have been wondering if I could get a Sako Quad action and make them two separate rifles: but that then gets even more expensive (two scopes etc.).

I have 5 barrels and two frames

I initially had scope data for each barrel but quickly realised the best way forward was a QR scope mount and a dedicated scope for each barrel

As for accuracy i am surprised as my .22 will eat most things and be sub MOA

with RWS and WIn subs I will happily shoot out to 100yds plus

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/17218-Quick-Release-Mounts-for-rimfire-air-rifle-9-11mm-(Sako-Quad-etc)?highlight=quick+release+sako+quad

shot 5 types recently to see if there was much different, quick wizz through off the top of the car rather than bench and bags

IMG_1670_zpsd45e5025.jpg

the extraction issue with live and stick rounds (short leade jams some round into the rifling compounding the issue) is a direct consequence of one claw and two rim sizes

easily fixed and I wrote a DIY for it

10 secs with a needle file or some fine grit paper

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/40822-Sako-Quad-Extractor-claw-modification?highlight=sako+quad+extractor

Archived