Failure To launch

hughes.s

Today I had 4 ignition fails, loaded 20 rounds to test 4 different btog, (Win case, Fed G205m primers n120 powder ) the first 2 from a row of 5 failed, move onto row 2, second and third failed, never have I had a failed ignition before, so at this point I"am thinking. The only thing I could think of in the field was The cases were not fully dried inside, I fired 4 rounds from a previous batch with the same formula and they were ok. So I took each case and gave it a couple of taps at the base end and a good shake. The remaining sixteen were ok .

The pics show,

1 the primers struck but no ignition.

2 primer pockets from failures.

3 a cluster of three struck but failed, 1 new, 1 struck and ignited.

4 the reverse of pic 3.

The powder is from a struck but no ignition primer it"s a bit greener than it looks.

I"am hoping it"s damp in the cases.

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

Tar mi duk,

Thank you for the offer, I will certainly discard the tray, it"s so strange after 100s of rounds I get 4 in quick succession, but binning 600 makes a man with ducks bum syndrome like me, sweat and shake, I need to repeat the btog from the limited results, if it happens again then yep 600 are in for a oil bath, Any way I would like to pop round for a chat and 4 cups of tea and a look at your present collection before you chop it in for something bigger and better.

All the best to wife and Ben, and yourself of course.

Hughes.s

I've had an ignition failure due to a poorly dried case. I try to let my cases sit for 48 hours in the airing cupboard before I do anything with them.

Brass%20drying.JPG

Davy at the Shooting Shed took this tray and drilled a hole in each position so that air can circulate through the cases.

Regards

JCS

I put mine in a fan oven and dry at 80 degrees for an hour or two, has no adverse effect on malleability of the brass.

Prevents this issue

I put mine in a fan oven and dry at 80 degrees for an hour or two, has no adverse effect on malleability of the brass.

Prevents this issue

Food dehydrators work too, had much better results than air drying vertically or leaving on a radiator

Thanks for all replies.

I normally do dry them in a low oven, but I think I may have jumped the gun with these. Reloaded 10 with the best group btog and 10 with the worst as a comparison .

An observation from the last lot, there seems to be two very different btog"s, one at 1.901 and another at 1.840.

Hughes.s

How are you getting them wet ?.

Presumably he's wet media tumbling or ultrasonic cleaning.

Can't help thinking , looking at the photo of the struck primers at 3, that the extreme right photo, of the ignited primer, looks different from the photos of the three duds. I presume your primer seating setup is ok and the rifle hasn't got a worn firing pin?

Archived