Inside Border Barrels

Today I paid a visit to Border Barrels (currently being hosted by Sassen Engineering( in Birmingham.

As a wise man once said, "rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated"

I was welcomed through the door by Adam and Lewis, who then gave me a guided tour and explained their barrel manufacturing processes and detailed their experience in barrel making.

I will say now that I have no hesitation in recommending them to all of you, and any concerns about the transition should be put to rest.

If in doubt, go and see for yourself.

Some of the machinery

7F05F9C3-25D1-4B7E-BE8C-14D3A8EF771E_zps

The sine bar rifler

FAFF264E-2970-4130-A6BB-2DC423EDC82F_zps

The Pratt & Whitney cut rifling machine

E43670CF-2E22-4663-81D3-AA51B41443A9_zps

EF347006-C203-4D1F-ADEA-B68A8314B7CB_zps

I don't have the experience or 'mileage' of lots of folk in this forum, but, the only barrels I'd gladly put in my rifles again are either Borders or PacNor...and Borders are closer to me ;)

Thank you for the informative post,

Best wishes

Finman

Some of their stock

CC53A128-4C9D-4997-855B-5EC55C835192_zps

They also do fluting

0FB18CAF-EA70-44B2-A396-B61E429EE53A_zps

So there it is folks, excellent stuff from two knowledgeable and enthusiastic lads

A shortage of skill if any, can always be overcome but you have to have the will to succeed...Adam and Lewis are certainly showing that they have that in abundance. I'm also pleased to see that there is no shortage of machines and the possibility of Cut barrels in the future can only be further good news...again for the UK barrel industry....

Thanks Bradders for an informative post which should show that this is not a cobbled together operation....Good Luck, Adam & Lewis

Ok,

So I'm really confused now, border barrels still have the rifling machines that I was told that GB barrels had, so what machines DO GB barrels have?

Redshift

The last rumour I heard was that GB are building their own machines, but another company has been spreading whispers that they had the Pratt & Whitney plant and we're going to be making cut barrels.

As you can see, the camera on my iPhone doesn't lie, and anyone can go and see for themselves.

I don't know but I think the only thing stopping the lads from making cut barrels is sheer time in the day and manpower, as they proved to me today that the machinery is fully up and running.

Good news for all of us I say :-)

Ps, the big grey cabinet in the background in some of the pics is the buttoning machine.

I heard another interesting rumour about barrels at the Shooting Show. One of the reps on the Accuracy International stand said that the company would be opening a barrel making plant in Bootle this year, in order to provide a second source to Lothar Walther. These would be button rifled.

Archived