Lee challenge press

snow white

Are you pressing with differing pressure? Are you sorting your bullets to the same ogive length? Could be many reasons mate.

Sound to be spot on. When I used to do it and measured to the tip there was always a variation. If you measure to the ogive they should be bang on. I use a challenger with a forster micrometer die and it sets the bullets to within a thou no problem. You will get varying lengths between tip to ogive on most bullets.

Hmmm....what are you measuring bullet seating depth with? Have you had such base to ogive variations (20 thou) in seating depth in the past ? Do you get very consistent depths (base -ogive) when you measure the same loaded round several times? (as a last resort,does it actually show on target?)

gbal

Hi onehole checked for split all OK was wondering if the shell holder is to blame it is a lee one should it be a rcbs shell holder tried everything you lads have told me to try made a round up with out powder and primer setted it to required depth pulled head out tried it again different measurement.tried it halve dozen times all different really fed up have less trouble loading 20 bore

?"setted it to required depth"...? how? But it did not repeat seating depth...As before,how are you measuring seating depth-what tools? Cartridge OAL is largely irrelevant,as bullets vary in length,;they vary much less base to ogive -either the die is seating variably,or there is a measurement error....or both...has this happened before with this kit and proceedure?

gbal

Hi the die is not touching shell holder I cannot see how it can.I am using a Lee shell holder is there a difference between shell holders.there must be a gap of 4mm between holder and die.thanks for your help

On all my Lee dies, they touch the shell holder when the ram is all the way up. That's how you know when to stop.

Snowwhite,thanks-a really good micrometer is near essential if you are concerned with a few thousandths-and a good depth guage/comparator like the Davidson or Sinclair attached to the blade of your callipers,with the right bullet insert.And very good ,consistent 'feel' in using it.

So have you had these problems before,and have you actually shot any of the 'variable' depth bullets-some rigs are quite tolerant of variations,and short term,well good enough....and some are not!

Are your primers all seated flush,and not protruding variably from the case-you might get increased bolt closure pressure if they are.

Also,a stray kernel of powder can add 10-15 thou to 'measured seating depth' so keep scrupulously clean.

g

Ive just changed from a lee press to a lyman orange crusher because i was unable to bump shoulders accurately enough in my "precision" rifle. Problem solved in an instant. The lee press was the last part left from my starter kit bought years ago.

Hi I am using a comparator everything is spot less. I am going to strip press down today the reason I am doing this is I have a new rifle coming and want to set up new rounds for it keeping my other 223 for day scope.what started as something simple as turned in to a nightmare I just checked a couple of rounds and the was different using ogive as I was measuring OAL before how many have I made like this in the past.I am the sort that if you are going to do something do it right.which I had not brought the ruddy ogive now with the headache it as given me but THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING SO HELPFUL. Will let you now if something wrong with press.

I had this problem myself using a lee classic press,lee shell holder and dies,thought that poor quality equipment was to blame until i realised that poorly seated primers were the issue.Perhaps seat a bullet without powder or primers and see if you still have the variation.Incidently i never had any issues on target because of this.

Drum.

Archived