Anyone using one of these for annealing brass?

Jamie

Hi folks,

I was reading an article on 6mmbr about annealing. I have tried annealing, but it wasn't exactly consistent, and I think I may have made my accuracy worse with my poor attempts. More a case of under annealing. Or in simple terms not making any difference to some cases and very little to others.

A good job it was old cheap brass! But I came across some marker pens/crayons that are used to mark your brass, then when you've rotated them quick enough in the gas torch to avoid the head heating up, the material you've drawn on melts, indicating it's reached the right temperature. Then you can drop them into water to quench, or just allow to cool as some people prefer......

Anyhow, has anyone out there used the Tempil° Tempilstik® Temperature Indicator "pen", and how did you get on?

Going on the annealing link info, I'll be going for the 750c red pens.

Tempildeg%20Tempilstikreg%20Temperature%

Yes I have tried one early on however I could never get on with it and it ended up in a draw, instead I use normal Tempilaq when setting up the annealer timing and after that it is good to go.

if do go for Tempilaq order some thinners at the same time...

I use the 750 degree Tempilaq, which works a treat.

My annealing "machine' is rather basic, it consists of a MAP gas burner and a cordless drill with appropriate socket to turn the case - usually 5-6 seconds per case for what I use it with.

My annealing "machine' is rather basic, it consists of a MAP gas burner and a cordless drill with appropriate socket to turn the case - usually 5-6 seconds per case for what I use it with.

Yip same here

As is mine. All annealing done in the shed in the dark so as to best see the colour change in the brass.

Cheers folks.

Not got one of those posh machines yet, but use the same as Ronin and Camo. Was thinking I could get better or at least more consistent results. What temp are you folks using, I was thinking of 750f going on the 6mmbr site. Just a thought, as i'll be marking and annealing each one, I presume the best and quickest method would be the pen type variety as apposed to a brush?

Also, i've been to all the plumbers merchants in my town to get some (as suggested), and they've never even heard of it, let alone the principle of using it/one! Anyone any ideas on where I could get it from now, as apposed to wait for Spuds delivery?

Cheers

Jamie

the 750 is here this week if you still need any here is a link

http://www.1967spud.com/product/tempilaq/

Mark, your sites showing 2 prices. I presume it's for different size bottles?

Also, do you have, or will you be getting some thinners in as well?

click on the options

let me know when you have 2 oz of 750f and thinners in stock please

Ordered mine, and some other goodies from these http://waltersandwalters.co.uk/

Never heard of them before, but they make some good stuff.

There was rumers of somebody working on a cheap machine that was in development and it was all hush hush but that was 2 years ago and nothing happened

:ph34r:

Archived