Long Range Varminting

Guest varmartin

Guest varmartin

I got in contact with Jamie..AKA Silentsoles308kin-great-holes to do some varminting on some land we have nick named

` Little Africa ` as I have said before because it holds such a wealth of game and varmints.

Sunday morning and it was getting very hot.....would you believe 28`c in the shade according to Silents thermometer.

We spent some time at our usual 200 yard range and tested a few rounds .

I did not have much success with the 7.62 Musgrave on this occasion , the barrel was getting very hot after 4-5 rounds and noticed a wandering zero. I had also given the barrel a good clean as I had fired over 70 rounds.

I had previously noticed that it shoots its best after 20 or so, so I think I will just pull a bore snake through from now and carry out further test latter.

So off to little Africa and get set up to Snipe some Varmints.

Silent and myself set up good to go...just a bit of posing fun B)

dsc00072yg1.jpg

dsc00068ud9.jpg

We laid up in an elevated location as we have done here before, so all ranges out to 570 yards are well known and we both take a click off when dialing up because its slightly down hill all the way out to max range here.

Silent started off with a Vapourising 81 yard bunny with his .223 cz.......no pics of that one as there not much to photo :huh:

We both stepped out to 240 yards and nailed a few to get our eyes `in`.

now for a few long shots...I was using my 6MM BR / 75 Vmax combo and whacked a few bunny`s at 300+ yards.

I think the bunny`s were practising for the Olympics if the aerial acrobats were anything to go by !!

we had some fun testing our loads and ranging techniques on small stones and clumps of earth in the quiet sections of the day, waiting for early evening and the wind to drop off....and it did.

Now for the long ones....

Silent spotted a couple of bunny`s out at 518 and 520 yards....I dialed in and less a click again and nailed the first of two with the 6mm BR. The second bunny burst with the impact of the 75 grain pill connecting in its middle.

I was spotting for Silent now and pinged a few running around at 570 yards, a slight breeze had got up so said to Silent to allow for about a MOA out there , He sent a 155 scenar from his trusty Parker Hale but his round missed by a nats chuff.....just skimming its fur, possibly a bad wind call by his spotter !!

We zapped a few more at `local` range and then decided to go for a walk and stretch our legs and check the carnage...

Me and my 518 yarder..you can see the bullet trail in the grass. !!

dsc00067ue7.jpg

We continued our walk and still spotting for Silent I spied a couple of half grown grass munchers out in the field back at our first location...so pinged them and they were both bang on 300 yards.

The first dropped to a body shot with his 7.62 when the second bunny dropped down into the grass at the report of his rifle.

I spotted again for Silent when he said "all I can see is its head....." " how much do you want to see " I replied and with that .....boom and all I saw was vapour and a black hole appear in the ground where the rabbit was :o .

Awesome...and I think that was the `shot of the day` from our very own Silent one` :lol:

The view back to our vantage point.

dsc00073yw2.jpg

300 yard head shot bunny. :D Silent and the whole in the dirt !!

dsc00074nq5.jpg

All I can say is WOW what a days fun we had .... :lol:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice shooting.

You certainly do get some long range practicing in, I'd be doing the same if I had the distance without travelling miles.

Annoying thing is I have the acreage but theres no bloody hills :lol:

Guest varmartin
do you two really shoot anthing or just enjoy dressing up!!,personally i think its all staged managed!! :lol::lol: hey varminter i thought you were across the pond?

Why dont you come out with us and find out :o:huh:

Why dont you come out with us and find out :D:o

not likeley youll have me dressing up!! :lol::lol::huh: still nice shooting anyway ,i missed a downhill one at 498 yds on bank holidat monday by a knats do dah!! charly hunter and shrek could not belive their mince pies awsome! had a couple at 290 odd so good fun anyway!oh and the ssg tore a ragged hole at 100 with 5 rnds 43.5 varget!!!!!!!!!!!! so bang on!!

Guest varmartin
I love the pseudo-tac-sniper-guy outfits boys, the next thing you know you will be trading up all your hardware for AI's and S&B's :lol::P

Ian

You cant beat getting in your ` bubble` ...Look like one , think like one...shoot like one...

Next thing you know ..we will be eating like one....aye we were ...mine was a ` 1/2 pounder/Bacon with cheese :o:P

Hi guys ,

A very nice writeup and pictures!!! :o:P

Some very nice shooting too - well done on those long ones boys!!! :lol::P

See you guys soon................

All the best.......................

RAY............................................. :D;)

Good shooting guy's but i got too say that after what i seen on the weekend you got alot of practising to do because i went out with ray or the toyminator and he has now put you guys to shame by shooting crows after they have left the floor 6/12 inches in the air, taking off . unreal!!!!!!!!! :o

Good shooting guy's but i got too say that after what i seen on the weekend you got alot of practising to do because i went out with ray or the toyminator and he has now put you guys to shame by shooting crows after they have left the floor 6/12 inches in the air, taking off . unreal!!!!!!!!! ;)

i thought varminter had retired ,now why would i think that? :o:P:lol::P

Next thing you know ..we will be eating like one....aye we were ...mine was a ` 1/2 pounder/Bacon with cheese :P:lol:

Typical,

shoot a 1/4lb rabbit then eat a 1/2lb burger. :o

nice one silent

edi

Good to see you pair having some fun and good shooting too!!!me and Franko went out for some serious bunny culling in some small infested fields near Camelford and out to 400 ish down at St Winnow and literally shot ourselves out of ammo!!Come Saturday my son James and I went out to another small holding over just 5 fields ,again infested with the little buggers.Lost count but there were about 95 17 cases on the landy floor at the end of a 4 hour shoot up.In the final half hour James spotted a fox cub munching on one of our bunnies about 80 yds away and I considered a head shot would be a humane kill and it went down instantly!and then to our surprise over the hedge came four more cubs each squabbling over this rabbit,well you can guess the rest we took all of them,two to the 17 and three to my 223 just for effect!!!!A good day but ruined later when James went out for a bike ride later that evening and took out a telegraph pole,his R6 and broke his left knee and hand in the process!!!James is ok and will mend but here goes the 60 mile round trip to hospital every day so wont catch up with you local guys for a while I guess.Cheers fer now,Onehole.

Yes Give James our best wishes and hope he mends soon!! ;) ;)

All the best..............

RAY.............................. :D;)

Good to see you pair having some fun and good shooting too!!!me and Franko went out for some serious bunny culling in some small infested fields near Camelford and out to 400 ish down at St Winnow and literally shot ourselves out of ammo!!Come Saturday my son James and I went out to another small holding over just 5 fields ,again infested with the little buggers.Lost count but there were about 95 17 cases on the landy floor at the end of a 4 hour shoot up.In the final half hour James spotted a fox cub munching on one of our bunnies about 80 yds away and I considered a head shot would be a humane kill and it went down instantly!and then to our surprise over the hedge came four more cubs each squabbling over this rabbit,well you can guess the rest we took all of them,two to the 17 and three to my 223 just for effect!!!!A good day but ruined later when James went out for a bike ride later that evening and took out a telegraph pole,his R6 and broke his left knee and hand in the process!!!James is ok and will mend but here goes the 60 mile round trip to hospital every day so wont catch up with you local guys for a while I guess.Cheers fer now,Onehole.

sorry to hear that onehole ,hpe the young tacker gets well soon!

Sorry to hear about you son pard, I feel real sorry for him, he will be suffering for a while from that one, sure hope his knee mends wouldn't want the lad to end up with the same trouble I have with my knees, I think they call it kneemonia ;)

Good shooting guy's but i got too say that after what i seen on the weekend you got alot of practising to do because i went out with ray or the toyminator and he has now put you guys to shame by shooting crows after they have left the floor 6/12 inches in the air, taking off . unreal!!!!!!!!! ;)

We have all shot then in the air some of them where metres up not just inches, christ if I have a good day I can hit clays at 40m with my 20 bore, nothing specail about that ;);)

SUITS YOU SIR, great shooting lads,but do you realy need all that cammo at the distances you lads blast them varmints,lets face it you could probably wear blaze orange,great read and some good pics as well,

We have all shot then in the air some of them where metres up not just inches, christ if I have a good day I can hit clays at 40m with my 20 bore, nothing specail about that ;);)

More luck than judgement in your case i've seen you shoot clays and the rifle. ;):D;)

He'll be back on both feet in no time onehole, and it will be a distant memory for all involved .kids hey!!!!!! and as an owner of a 1200 suzuki bandit and a shooting man i can certainly understand where you are coming from good luck to you and your young fella. ;);)

Archived