Just love American ranges

Hoot,

Get yourself down to Top Gun and have a few magazines through a Thompson and a few pistols just for &hits and grins while you're in town.

T

Another quiet day on the ranges over in Texas

There for 3 hrs. Alone on 200,300,400 Yards paper punching then 600 yard steel gongs

Soon be back on Bodmin moor ☔️

imagejpg1_zps7f2d469e.jpg

Billy no mates! :P

glad im at work in the wind and rain :mad:

I found that on this range the 100 yard lanes were full to the brim with some folks who should not be withn a 100 yards of a rifle, then you move over onto the 200 yard, only a few shooters. The 300-600 yards are effectivly one range and most of the time you can drive fown to the targets (unless its been raining, the range Is in a detention reservoir). So setting up on the RHS of 300 meant you could shoot all distance out to 600 yards from on spot, with only one or two other shooters.

Although there are a lot of firearms in the US, there are not many folks who can shoot, where as in the UK you have to be a 'shooter' to own a firearm - if that makes sense?

Terry

Narrow minded nonsense, Terry. ~Andrew

"....in Britain you have to jump through more hoops to own firearms" is perhaps true,but ...

...Just owning a violin,or a guitar, does not make you a musician ....... is also true.

gbal

Narrow minded nonsense, Terry. ~Andrew

Andrew, only going on what I experianced living there for 5 years, the range in the OP being the classic example, the 100yard range populated to over flowing every weekend, 75% of the shooters without a clue, yes they can 'fire' a rifle but that is as far as it goes. The 200 thru 600 yards deseted i.e., bit more difficult = no one there, same on the pistol ranges, 8 yards, blase away, go to 25 yards and few folks.

Now I'm not saying that shooters at say Bayou rifles, Pearland or Youpn Creek etc. are the same, they are 'shooters', but these are folks who have looked for a place to soot accurately, not simply bought a gun at Wally-World or the gun shows and turned up at the range with a pile of white box!

I think you will find that in the UK, the proportion of folks owning firearms that can shoot accuratly (or readonably so! ? ) is higher as they are of the same mind set as their US counterparts who have sought out clubs or associations for shooting i.e. who want to be 'good', shoot for score or other quantifiable measure.

Hope that clarifies things?

Brgds Terry

ps been/lived far too many places to be narrow minded, I've found your mind is a bit like a parachute - works best when open ?

Andrew, only going on what I experianced living there for 5 years, the range in the OP being the classic example, the 100yard range populated to over flowing every weekend, 75% of the shooters without a clue, yes they can 'fire' a rifle but that is as far as it goes. The 200 thru 600 yards deseted i.e., bit more difficult = no one there, same on the pistol ranges, 8 yards, blase away, go to 25 yards and few folks.

Now I'm not saying that shooters at say Bayou rifles, Pearland or Youpn Creek etc. are the same, they are 'shooters', but these are folks who have looked for a place to soot accurately, not simply bought a gun at Wally-World or the gun shows and turned up at the range with a pile of white box!

I think you will find that in the UK, the proportion of folks owning firearms that can shoot accuratly (or readonably so! ) is higher as they are of the same mind set as their US counterparts who have sought out clubs or associations for shooting i.e. who want to be 'good', shoot for score or other quantifiable measure.

Hope that clarifies things?

Brgds Terry

ps been/lived far too many places to be narrow minded, I've found your mind is a bit like a parachute - works best when open

Well.Saying "narrow minded" sounded better than "elitist".

Were the people at the 100 yard line shooting each other? Firing at low flying aircraft? Doing hideously dangerous things? Or were they just not shooting firearms in the manner in which you think they should be shot? Didn't shoot well enough for you? Obviously they don't take the sport seriously enough to get out to 600 yards with you.

Hey. Maybe they were having fun?

From my vantage, there is an economic element to shooting in the UK that doesn't play here. In the UK it is not a poor man's sport. It's not an "everyman's" sport. Maybe I'm wrong? I seldom read of people that are in the lower economic classes shooting or hunting. Not so here. Shooting has no such boundaries. A person is free to own a cheap gun and legally make the best of it. Even if it's just making noise at the 100 yard range to the annoyance of the Englishman standing down the way. Being as firearms ownership and use is a Constitutional Right, they are free from the constraints of structured events for their shooting fun and, with the exception of being a law abiding citizen, proving themselves "worthy" to own a firearm. Yes. There are some real clowns that own firearms, but as long as they are not dangerous, they have that right. You come from a mind-set that you must earn the right to own a firearm. It's not the same here and it's not for you to judge their worthiness, nor the worthiness of their shooting endeavors. Those people have the right to (legally, safely) bang off rounds just to watch the brass fall to the ground. If you don't like it, don't watch.

Personally, I think that if you are at a pistol range with no one shooting at the 25 yard line, you are hanging at the wrong range. I can saddle you up to a group of 20-30 people on a Sunday morning shooting handguns at 200M, standing. Are you up for that? Would you want to be labeled a person who couldn't shoot because you don't shoot pistol at 200M? What? You shoot 600 yards lying down? Off of a Bipod??!!?? They might think that a little too easy but they wouldn't' throw stones at you for it. At what passes for a range in our rural county, we regularly have .22 'shoots' where the targets are empty 12 ga hulls 100 yards. Playing cards, edge wise, at 25M standing... it's a new game every week. Tell these boys they can't shoot and you'd get some raised eyebrows. Some of the best marksman in my area don't frequent the club range. One has a 1.5 mile range on is property and he uses every inch of it.

I say that 5 years in Texas doesn't qualify you to judge all American shooters, or even the majority of us. I'll retract the "narrow minded" statement and replace it with a suggestion of inexperience with the total US shooting experience.~Andrew

PS: For the record, I'm not angry. Please don't read that into my posts.

Archived