We've had a few discussions regarding the SEB Joy-pod - some love it, some don't.

But, there's an interesting article on 6mmBR.com at the moment - James Croft, USA FTR Champ, has just shot a max. score at 1000 yards with a Joy-pod. Not only that, the 308 was built on a Savage action!

Thanks Vince - a good read. I've just bought a joy-pod off a shooting friend because it wasn't his style, but I have to say I really like it. It's a bit fiddly getting the initial rough elevation right but after that it's brilliant.

We've had a few discussions regarding the SEB Joy-pod - some love it, some don't.

But, there's an interesting article on 6mmBR.com at the moment - James Croft, USA FTR Champ, has just shot a max. score at 1000 yards with a Joy-pod. Not only that, the 308 was built on a Savage action!

I don't find that a surprise at all Vince, for what its worth I don't think it will be long before the idea of custom actions being the only way to success at long range shooting is well and truly quashed. I have had 2x full custom rifles, one was built on a stiller predator and the other was a Borden action, both had cut barrels and both were fully devcon pillar bedded and neither of them could consistently shoot small groups as well as any of the "Out of the box" Tikka T3's that i've had.

I know the gunsmiths on here will argue the point tooth and nail that custom actions will always out shoot out of the box rifles but I suspect they have a huge financial incentive to keep spinning this yarn. I certainly will not argue that a custom rifle will look better, feel better, last longer and have a much higher pose factor attached to it but group tighter.......Not from what I have seen, I suspect if you had 2x rifles built to exactly the same spec apart from one being a Borden and the other being a Tikka 595/T3, Savage, Sako with the same exacting load development undertaken I suspect the group sizes would be comparable.

I was over at Garlands a few weeks ago and whilst there I watched a guy shooting his "Out of the box" 6mmbr Savage, at 100m in 10mph crosswinds, I watched him generate 5 successive 5 shot groups ranging from 0.15" - 0.25" during load development on the rifles FIRST outing after run in. To say I was impressed doesn't really cut it and the cost of the rifle would have been 1/3 of fully custom prices :D

Personally, I think that the barrel contributes 95% to accuracy but, to a comp shooter, it's all about that last 5%!

Also, build a custom gun on a factory action and the gunsmith's charge will be exactly the same for his work - actually, it's often harder to work with a factory action. All you will save is the difference in cost between a factory action and the custom action.

As a few shooters have found out, when you come to sell, the rifle built round a factory action won't hold its value half as well.

Having said all that, the factory Savage target action c/w trigger is amazing value - because they do shoot very well with a good barrel fitted.

Archived