Howa 1500

pb86

Hi All,

Looking to purchase a Howa 1500 in .308 calibre when my variation comes back. The prices look reasonable especially for the package options however I wasn't a fan of the hogue stock which had forend flex, but was impressed with the GRS stock. Now the price point of the hogue is much more agreeable but I know in my heart that I wished I had bought the GRS stock. Now with my financial constraints the question is is the GRS stock worth the extra ~£400?

Any views good or bad on the Howa would be welcome and any tips on potential upgrades that can be done over time.

Cheers.

Got one with a GRS and worth every penny

Can I ask what distances you normally shoot from and what sort of accuracy are you obtaining? I know that there are a great deal of variables to consider but will give me a rough idea.

Cheers.

I got and have a 1500 308 with the houge rubber stock and it was shocking, as it was contacting the barrel due to flexing,I'm currently looking for a better stock but second hand as I'm tight,meanwhile I have removed rubber and plastic from the foregrip and barrel channel with a Stanley knife and flapper wheel to resolve the issue,untill I find a better stock.

I got and have a 1500 308 with the houge rubber stock and it was shocking, as it was contacting the barrel due to flexing,I'm currently looking for a better stock but second hand as I'm tight,meanwhile I have removed rubber and plastic from the foregrip and barrel channel with a Stanley knife and flapper wheel to resolve the issue,untill I find a better stock.

I have read in the states of people channeling out then bedding their Hogue stocks with carbon fire arrow shafts which stiffened up the forend; may be an idea if your on a budget?

I have read in the states of people channeling out then bedding their Hogue stocks with carbon fire arrow shafts which stiffened up the forend; may be an idea if your on a budget?

I had also read it before,on here I think. I will buy a better quality stock when i find one. Thanks for the reminder.

Can I ask what distances you normally shoot from and what sort of accuracy are you obtaining? I know that there are a great deal of variables to consider but will give me a rough idea.

Cheers.

Have one on a Howa .308 that shoots out to 1000 yards get 1 moa if I can read the wind. Shoots 1/2 moa at 100. Got one on a 260 Tikka that I'm hoping to get out to a mile

You could alternatively just buy a barrelled a action?

Good suggestion. Buying a Howa barrelled action and dropping it into a decent stock from Joe West, B&C, Boyds, GRS, SSS etc. has to be one of the best value ways of getting a new full bore rifle.

Archived