Am i being thick ?

poacher

Hi Guys can anyone shed some light on a small problem im having with reloading my 6mm ppc

I have purchased a Wilson bullet seating set all my 6mm ppc cases fit lovely my 220 fire formed cases do not fit they go tight approx. 2/3rds of the way down the case, have I got to resize with another set of full length dies ? is there an alternative bullet seater that I require ? My Forster die set resizes F/L & Neck set the bullet seater seats all the cases no problem, am I being thick here have I missed something or is there some thing else I should be doing?

Any help would be much appreciated, the rifle is a remy based S/A with a 1;14 21" medium varmint border barrel used mainly for varmint not bench rest, shooting light weight 6mm Hornady heads, also if needed does anybody have any spare 6mm ppc brass or know where I can obtain some ( not 220 Russian if this is going to cause prob with reloading) ,thanks in anticipation of any help, Steve

PS; also cases feed no probs in rifle its only the 220,s that are tight in the dies,

Sounds like your Chamber may be 6mm PPC USA with a base diameter of .443. Wilson do two PPC dies, the regular for .440 base chambers, and Oversize for .443.

Poacher - completely normal.

There is no such thing as a standard 6PPC chamber - yours is a little oversize - which is common - so is mine.

Full-length size the brass and not only will it go into your Wilson seater, it will also fly in - and out - of your gun. This means you can run your gun quick - without upsetting the bags - essential for benchrest competition.

I've shot PPC's for a few years now only for foxing, and had a similar problem to yours, the best way I found was to forget just neck sizing and like Gun Pimp says just FL resize. All I did to set my FL die was to remove the firing pin and spring (mine just unscrews from the back of the bolt) put the bolt back in the gun (minus firing pin and spring) the bolt should now have no resistance at all when its closed.

Put a fired empty case in the chamber and try to close the bolt if there is any resistance when closing remove the case and keep adjusting your FL die ever so slightly until your case fits the chamber nicely you should just feel very slight resistance when you close the bolt on the case. Basically just keep trying and adjusting the die. I should have said before you start unscrew the FL die so it doesn't do anything to the case this would be your start point.

Once it's a nice fit lock the die ring and it should now be set for your chamber.

This is how I do my cases others may say differently

Cheers Andy

Guys, thanks for all your help sounds like im not alone here, I have redding rcbs & forster F/L dies, will a Wilson sizing die be any better or should I just continue using those that I have ? Andy thanks for the advice I will give it a go & see what happens, I also have a usa sizing die but was assured that mine was not usa. Does any company offer PPC brass ?. Steve

Guys, thanks for all your help sounds like im not alone here, I have redding rcbs & forster F/L dies, will a Wilson sizing die be any better or should I just continue using those that I have ? Andy thanks for the advice I will give it a go & see what happens, I also have a usa sizing die but was assured that mine was not usa. Does any company offer PPC brass ?. Steve

I'd use the Redding die mine is part number 77319 which is a 6mm ppc USA but it does the trick.

Archived