New Rifle Choice .308 or 6.5x55

Hi Guys,

I would appreciate a bit of input, I currently have 2 stalking rifles a .243 and a .300 win mag, I am looking to replace both with one do it all calibre? I want to take everything from Roe to Reds. I will be reloading so any input would be much appreciated.

By the way, I am selling

1 x .243 Sako 75 III synthetic stainless in mint condition, screw cut less than 250 rounds at £750

1 x .300 Tikka T3 Laminated Stainless, in mint condition, screw cut less than 350 rounds fired at £450

Picture on for sale forum tonight.

[wITHOUT DOUBT THE 6.5 Is the best alround calibre in your selection i have shot both and the 308 is a diver when using the normal weights for the calibre. Also after using the 243 and the 300 you will expect some degree of flatness.ps dont confuse the .308 with the one that shot the tiny group at 600 yards i think a nice 8 foot hold over would have been needed with a factory round for that shot ;);)

Just because the 308 drops off quick dont mean it wont cut the mustard Dave. Add 60 (16.5 MOA) odd clicks and she will be spot on at 600 yards, there no need to hold over 8ft. ;)

Chuck Hawks doesnt know his arse from his elbow, just who pays him to sing!

Both good calibres but the 6.5 has the edge, best accuracy ( although the 308 is very good) and wide range of bullet weights to do anything you want.

I have had two 308 and like them, but now have the 6.5x55 and wonder why I didnt buy one years ago, plus a 300Wm if I need more clout ;)

Redfox

Hi

any of them will do the job, its just a case of what you like.

Dave run some drop charts and you will see your 6.5 x 55 is not Lazar like, and you would have to hold over or adjust your scope as well.

all so take a look here and compair the 2 http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

ATB

Colin

Out at the same distance (300 yards) the 6.5x55 is around .75 MOA less than the .308, hardly worth worrying about. ;)

[Well it was only an opinion on the best alround calibre not the best calibre. With regards clicking in dialing out i will leave that to the none hunting paper punchers .

I feel 17 rem suggesting he wouldn't have a 6.5 as a negative reply may i ask why ;)

My opinion is based on fact the 6.5 x 47 x 55 x 284 etc will give better results than the .308 shooting its chosen ammo also the accuracy of the 6.5 with its full range of bullets has to be seen to be believed. I have shot the 85 grn and the 168 grn through my off the shelf rifle both shot less than one inch groups at 100 paces all factory rounds .

None Hunting paper punchers, yeah right Dave in ya funking dreams! ;) Its only because your too tight to buy the right set up...! ;)

Many will be very dissapointed when they buy ammo for their flat shooting 6.5 and

read on the federal box 2650fps. Next to it lies the 308 box with 10grs more and almost 200fps more.

BC out to 300yds won't make much diff anyway.

If of course one hot loads a little 120 grainer into a 6.5 it'll go flatter.

If one wants flat and oomph a 270 would be better.

308 has other advantages, like cheap ammo combined with good barrel life means

one can get much more practice in. One can pot a piggy if needed.

Why does a animal die?? because it has hole through it, the bigger the hole the quicker the die.

edi

Greenbear

Simply put if you think there`ll ever be the chance to shoot pigs choose the 308 (min cal restriction 270)

If its just a deer/fox rifle theres a lot of folks happy with their 55`s ;)

Chuck Hawks doesnt know his arse from his elbow, just who pays him to sing!

Both good calibres but the 6.5 has the edge, best accuracy ( although the 308 is very good) and wide range of bullet weights to do anything you want.

I have had two 308 and like them, but now have the 6.5x55 and wonder why I didnt buy one years ago, plus a 300Wm if I need more clout :lol:

Redfox

so sorry i should have run my post by you the great reloading expert world renowned. :P i saw your post/website right under chuck hawks :P my mistake. :D

all so i think we have lost sight of the original subject. the best ALL ROUND CALIBER.

I would first ask your FEO what would be your chances of getting one rifle passed to do everything.and what caliber rifle would be acceptable.

i can use my 270 WSM for anything but i have heard other forces will not do this.so best check first.

ATB

Colin :D

[James i don't think spending money on something makes you a better shooter. What i ill say is my set up suits me perfectly for its use and thats deerstalking and shooting vermin so just keep back :lol: .In my spiral staircaseING DREAMS :D My rifle is about 6 lbs weight and IMHO The best looking off the shelf rifle money can buy it has moulded chequering on the pistel grip and the same on the fore end it also has a none slip surface on the rest. There is not one sign of lumps snoters and runs with a obvious over spray on the stock to be seen :P Match grade fluted barrel topped with a nice variable swartz scope and when i bought it it was the most expencive scope cash could buy it was the all singging all dancing model so why would i swap it :D

PS IT SITS ON MY CHOSEN CALIBRE AFTER OVER 29 YEARS STALKING AND VERMIN SHOOTING 6.5 X 55 I have tried the rest and while some were good and some not so good this is the cal i shall stick with. :o

Roebucks.jpg The sauer and her gold medal buck

2007BIGLADS.jpg

The hole i am sure will put the doubters at ease no dog needed for this one. :P

Blah, blah,blah... :D

Like ive said Dave there are no runs, if you can find one run or overspray on any of my work I will refund the money, every little helps!

Like I said, non hunting paper punchers in ya funking dreams! I like to hit the Deer and kill it rather than let the dog chase it all over gods creation... :P

Thanks Guys,

as always a great response, I think I am favouring a .308 at the moment purely because of its choice of bullet. However I may try Keith's (Deerstalker) 6.5 and see how I like it.

To be honest between the two it seem neither are a bad calibre and either or will be just as good.

Thanks for your help

GB

[i HOPE YOUR NOT SAYING I AM DILIBERATLY BADLY SHOOTING DEER SO THE DOG GETS A CHASE :lol: I was also told that the 6.5 was the rifle you pick up when going out deer watching .PS I your dog deer trained or do you let the Bambi's dog chase all you runners :D

Now would I accuse you of such a thing... :D It is your right, its a 6.5 megapixel Nikon! :P

Runners? Dont have runners me, drop them dead after ive dialed in the range and wind...8 ft hold over who you kidding! :P My dog can find beasties no probs but I dont rely on her solely, unlike some!!! :o

30-06 will do the lot and more :lol:

Wireviz,

of course you can ask why I wouldn't have a 6.5x55. I don't like them.

I think they're underpowered for a cartridge requiring a long action and I know three stalkers who had them and sold them on because they weren't impressed with the terminal performance of a variety of bullets.

Although I don't currently have a 308, I've owned several and they have performed faultlessly for me.

Guest varmartin

Just to add my bit...

I have a 6MM BR and a 7.62/.308 and took both out with me and Silent today for some long range shooting.

The 6mmBR was absolutely mustard on Rabbits out to 420 yards with 75 vmax@3250 fps.

Had a couple at 220 yards, 325 yards, 420 yards.

Then got the 7.62 out and took a bunny at 245 yards another at 440 yards and the longest shot of the day was

a bunny at 518 yards.....large ice cream awesome calibre ....dont know why I did not get one sooner.

The 518 yarder ( and others ) were shot using 155grain Lapua scenars @2700 I dialed 11.25 MOA less a click for the down hill shot.

It has proved to me just how accurate this combination can be.....

I did miss a `bird` at 585 yards....my fault as I failed to give it enough `lead` it was moving L to R at 2 mph. :lol:

Archived