New Rifle Choice .308 or 6.5x55

Wireviz,

of course you can ask why I wouldn't have a 6.5x55. I don't like them.

I think they're underpowered for a cartridge requiring a long action and I know three stalkers who had them and sold them on because they weren't impressed with the terminal performance of a variety of bullets.

Although I don't currently have a 308, I've owned several and they have performed faultlessly for me.

+1 anyway Harry/Swede has one enough said.................... :blink::lol::lol:

Don't jam doughnut about, just get something based on a 06 case. 25-06 6.5-06 270 280 30-06 any will do fine.

Best rgds

B-b

I think we`ve all established that both Wireviz and Kal both like the 6.5x55 in their differing ways and that Greenbear has settled for a 308.

Problem solved methinks :blink:

Guest wireviz

Not really tim as i like the .270 and i feel it gets very little mention and is a stand alone calibre for the allrounder. :blink::lol:

Not really tim as i like the .270 and i feel it gets very little mention and is a stand alone calibre for the allrounder. :blink::lol:

Agreed but probably best discussed under another thread :lol:

First post chaps.

I have had 3 different 6.5x55's Sako L691, Steyr Classic half stock and an RPA Interceptor, 2 .308's a Heym SR30 and a Steyr SSG Sport. Both great calibres but I am currently very happy with my 7mm-08 Sako 75 varmint which sits very nicely in between the 6.5x55 and the .308.

Cheers

Simon

Guest wireviz

[Your very welcome 17 rem don't mention it i found it even more bazaar that you would take the time to jump on to a post about a calibre you had never shot and mention that stalkers got rid of it because it didn't have terminal velocity ;) Good post Stove nice to get a rounded reply from some one who has used the calibres ps i shot the .7mm08 many years back and KEPT AWAY FROM IT BECAUSE AT THE TIME I DIDNT KNOW ANY ONE THAT USED it except an old target shooter.

Ps don't take offence at the pm mate you could always prove me wrong or use the block facility :)

[Your very welcome 17 rem don't mention it i found it even more bazaar that you would take the time to jump on to a post about a calibre you had never shot and mention that stalkers got rid of it because it didn't have terminal velocity :) Good post Stove nice to get a rounded reply from some one who has used the calibres ps i shot the .7mm08 many years back and KEPT AWAY FROM IT BECAUSE AT THE TIME I DIDNT KNOW ANY ONE THAT USED it except an old target shooter.

Ps don't take offence at the pm mate you could always prove me wrong or use the block facility :D

Wireviz ,

If you think a PM is going to cause offense, simple , don't send it ;) .

After much advice, from you guys, I have come to a big and brave decision

My .243 has gone - So I am keeping my beloved .300 win mag

It will do what both the 6.5 & .308 does with that much extra and I love my Tikka........... :D

Its currently mated to a Swarovski scope and just feels soooo good when I pick it up - shame I cant hit anything with it ;):)

Good idea greenbear, You can always buy something else later. ;)

Maybe the poor performance or success rate is just lack of practice.

With the new spare funds get some more ammo and enjoy.

Guest wireviz

Best of luck Greenbear and i hope the deer just jump out in front of you. ;)

You pay your money and take your chances all about opinions isn't it some times it better to comment with facts than just comment because your bored :)

ps how do you know if some one is going to take offence to a pm Garry until you get a reaction positive or negative. :D

ps how do you know if some one is going to take offence to a pm Garry until you get a reaction positive or negative. :)

Dave,

having seen the PM I think it fair to say that it would cause offense and you know that ;)

You have read my PM's and therefore know that is the end of the matter.

[Your very welcome 17 rem don't mention it i found it even more bazaar that you would take the time to jump on to a post about a calibre you had never shot and mention that stalkers got rid of it because it didn't have terminal velocity :lol: Good post Stove nice to get a rounded reply from some one who has used the calibres ps i shot the .7mm08 many years back and KEPT AWAY FROM IT BECAUSE AT THE TIME I DIDNT KNOW ANY ONE THAT USED it except an old target shooter.

And where did I say I hadn't shot a 6.5x55, Dave? I've shot a few Red and Muntjac with one, but have a lot more experiece with 308, which I prefer to the 6.5.

This forum is about sharing experience, not about being abusive if someone's opinion differs from yours. I hope you are able to help it to continue to be a rewarding and enjoyable place to be.

Archived