22-243 middlestead

Guest Curry

Guest Curry

I have been looking at the 22-243 middlestead and the 22swift as possible candidate calibres for when I get around to replacing my foxing rifle.

I have a tikka m55 .243 action stashed away as a starting point for the middlestead am I right in thinking I'd need a different bolt size etc for the swift?

I know both calibres have a reputation for being barrel burners but as I dont shoot targets any more they should last a good few years.

Thank you

Is it ok to just PM someone you have never spoken with or discussed matters with? Its not regarded as bad forum etiquette or anything?

If its not bad form I'll certainly PM him.

Hi Curry,

OSOK won't mind you PM'ing him .

Guest northernchris

Yep just put together a fast twist 1-9" SSG and a Sako 75 1-14" walk about gun. I have had good results in the past with Speer 70gr soft points more than up to the job for Roe,unless of course the 100 or so i shot with that set up were the softer more delicute scottish type of Roe :blink:

Manufactures figures are around 10% higher than standard .22-250 loadings for the AI version of the case,but as ever case cap,powder/primer/bullet weight/type all have to be taken into account.

Guest northernchris

yes you need an RFD :) 1st attempt ;) It was the 1st SSG i have barrelled!!! There isnt many rifle builders out there that like doing the SSGs as there is a wee bit more work to them than just chucking a barrel up a Remmy!!!!!

I wouldnt say trusting client,engineering is engineering whatever it is rifles or F1!!!!!!! Cutting,welding and machineing metal is all the same.

Guest northernchris

;) Having been involed with both i DO know what counts!!RFD costs more than packet of fags HARRY ;)

Its getting all to easy to spot you old chap. :):D:rolleyes::lol:

Curry

Have you taken Shootingbags advise and PM`d OSOK yet ?

I would have thought that this would be your best course of action and hear it straight from the horses mouth ;)

Just read the thread, I think Northernchris has it right and trollop harry is back. It is a shame and frustrating that good information becomes lost, topics de-railed - or people get tired of being wound up and dont post.

David.

How much is an RFD license these days?

If the cost saving on the barrel replacement in your Steyr were high enough it was probably a sensible option.

I suspect that the +/- tolerances for FI and aeronautical components especially engines and brakes might be some what less than in rifle building. ;)

Hopefully now you have an RFD license you'll get some more trusting "clients" to help off set the cost. Col48 better watch out for his client list. :D

hi curry

i have nothing to worry about, as i don't have to do any jobs at all has it is not my first job. and i think there is more than enough work to go around,anyway the customer choses the person not the other way round.

but thanks for your concern.

ATB

Colin :)

Oh! OK!

I thought your Steyr was your first attempt? If it was you must have had a very trusting "client" to let you loose with their new barrel on only you second attempt.

Judging by your reported results it would appear to be a success anyway. Don't you have to have an RFD license to do that sort of work?

I've shot the Steyr belonging to N.chris in its present form and will be having whichever of my .243's shoots out first rebarrelled in Ackley by the man himself . If this is the standard of amateur gunsmithing we've got a lot to look forward to.

Pete.

Guest northernchris
:lol: Oh well makes a change from you f$$king up other peoples topics,i know whats wrong Harry i heard a whisper you been put on a ban on Deer talking :D Not good when you cant change peoples posts is it :blink::P;):angry::wacko:

I saw the remnants of the old sweated in Steyr barrel Chris machined out when I went to pick up my new rifle - the final piece to come out was a perfectly concentric wafer thin cup, amazing :lol: Of course now he has gone and replaced it with a bloody scaffold tube.....

Chris has built me a Remy/Shilen/McMillan/CG Trigger .223 and having shot it earlier this week it's the mutts - nothing I have seen from him so far could be classed as "amateur". I specifically wanted someone to build me a rifle - not just source parts, sub out the tricky bits, and put their name to it. I have been involved, i've learned from the process and I'm well pleased.

I'll get some pics up when I get a chance.

Tony

I saw the remnants of the old sweated in Steyr barrel Chris machined out when I went to pick up my new rifle - the final piece to come out was a perfectly concentric wafer thin cup, amazing :lol: Of course now he has gone and replaced it with a bloody scaffold tube.....

Chris has built me a Remy/Shilen/McMillan/CG Trigger .223 and having shot it earlier this week it's the mutts - nothing I have seen from him so far could be classed as "amateur". I specifically wanted someone to build me a rifle - not just source parts, sub out the tricky bits, and put their name to it. I have been involved, i've learned from the process and I'm well pleased.

I'll get some pics up when I get a chance.

Tony

Tony

we all get stuff from other people and use others for there service.

or did Chris make his own barrel and stock??????

ATB

Colin ;)

Tony

ATB

Colin :lol:

I listed the components above Colin - Shilen, McMillan, etc so I presume the question is rhetorical ?

My point was that I wanted someone who could actually machine, fit, bed, pin, screwcut etc themselves rather than send it out to mysterious gnomes to do the work. My reason is that I wanted this to be an education process for me as to what really goes in to building a rifle and what it takes to get the level of precision that equals accuracy - i've come away more educated and impressed not just with Chris's skills but also, now I understand what goes in to it, by some or the other work posted on here by Ronin et al.

I'm certain I never picked up enough skills from bolting together mecano to be able to do this myself.

TC

Tony

ATB

Colin :lol:

Col,

I think the point is TC was involved in the gunsmithing process as his rifle was being built. Not just attaching piece A to piece B, but a proper smithing job, machine work an' a. Nothing against putting a ready built barreled action to a custom stock, there is a lot of time taken to get it right there too, but a customer doesn't get the hard-on he would witnessing the rebarreling process if he'd never seen it before, especially a Steyr. I've given a lot of tours thru barrel shops and rifle making companies, I know. I'm sure he'd enjoy a trip thru Border, or a trip thru McMillan just as much.

Curry,

What sort of engineering advantage does F1 and aerospace have over rifles? Hell, I have former NASA engineers working with me, never heard them complain it was a step down or beneath them. It's all rocket science..

JR

Col,

I think the point is TC was involved in the gunsmithing process as his rifle was being built. Not just attaching piece A to piece B, but a proper smithing job, machine work an' a. Nothing against putting a ready built barreled action to a custom stock, there is a lot of time taken to get it right there too, but a customer doesn't get the hard-on he would witnessing the rebarreling process if he'd never seen it before, especially a Steyr. I've given a lot of tours thru barrel shops and rifle making companies, I know. I'm sure he'd enjoy a trip thru Border, or a trip thru McMillan just as much.

Curry,

What sort of engineering advantage does F1 and aerospace have over rifles? Hell, I have former NASA engineers working with me, never heard them complain it was a step down or beneath them. It's all rocket science..

JR

JR,

Seems we were posting at the same time but you got my point exactly, it's all in the swarf !

Cheers

Tony

Archived