NEW TOY semi custom .223 and results

finally got out to play properly with the new toy today ,i recently did a deal with james clark A.K.A jaeger SA on this semi custom howa based .223 with a bergara 1/9" barrel,boyds stock , mag conversion and ceracoated ,all put together VERY NICELY ,i was looking for a longer range fox tool at an affordable price ! and i certainly got it ,i ran the barrel in a couple of weeks back with some reloads from AN other

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/gjc_album/guns/PA020502_zpsf7ddb8f4.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/gjc_album/guns/PA040508_zpsc68aa51f.jpg

after a bit of advice and a cracking deal at the speed of light from mark "spud 1967" i settled on some hornady dies and this is the result of both ! first load workings !

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/gjc_album/guns/PA220555_zpse5caeb9d.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/gjc_album/guns/PA220554_zps020958b3.jpg

CHUFFED ! given the conditions today ,wind 15-18mph and gusts to 27/28mph and a wobbly landy bonnet "YOU COULD SAY THAT !"

thanks to both guys for a really fast efficient service at an excellent price ,i am quite certain that given a little work on the loads i can improve it a tadge more

If you copy & paste the IMG code (one at the bottom) directly into your post it will show the pictures in the thread and save us loading them in photo bucket.

ScreenShot2014-10-11at225119.png

Makes for a much faster viewing experience. :)

PA020502_zpsf7ddb8f4.jpg

PA040508_zpsc68aa51f.jpg

PA220555_zpse5caeb9d.jpg

PA220554_zps020958b3.jpg

Nice looking rifle and group! ;)

thanks al ,technology is not one of my strong points lol do i need to re size the pics if i use THAT code and if so what do i size them to ?,thanks wee john im very pleased with it so far theres now way i could have afforded a full custom build but it goes to show that you dont always need to spend to get decent results ,it will be interesting to get out and try it off decent bags on a calm day rather than across the landy ,though in all fairness thats the way it will be used 95% of the time so thats what really matters ,now i would like to get a decent heavier load worked up as thats just some 50g vmax i had ,

Use the code as it is, I just copied yours from your Photobucket account that your link took me to. If you ever need to resize then 800x600 is a good size for forums in general.

Its so much easier for everyone of you paste the IMG code and we can see the pictures here on the forum within the post. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If your after tight groups get a better rest, it's good practice off landy bonnet or roof ect but for testing a rifle not the best ;)

Nice rifle

Gaz

Shouldnt you be using Pythagoras theorem to calc your group size if the spread is on the diagonal? Or just measure across the widest point. Its about 0.8" according to my maths (which is very rusty).

Still not bad.

thanks al ,technology is not one of my strong points lol do i need to re size the pics if i use THAT code and if so what do i size them to ?,thanks wee john im very pleased with it so far theres now way i could have afforded a full custom build but it goes to show that you dont always need to spend to get decent results ,it will be interesting to get out and try it off decent bags on a calm day rather than across the landy ,though in all fairness thats the way it will be used 95% of the time so thats what really matters ,now i would like to get a decent heavier load worked up as thats just some 50g vmax i had ,

Well mate that's some shooting!! if you can do that with 50grainers at 200 yards in a 15/18 mph wind with up to 30 mph! gusts off a landy bonnet I.d leave it at that as there are not much in the offerings for expanding heads to suit 1/9 twist save the 60 vmax ??maybe...O

Shouldnt you be using Pythagoras theorem to calc your group size if the spread is on the diagonal? Or just measure across the widest point. Its about 0.8" according to my maths (which is very rusty).

Still not bad.

That's some tricky offroad trigonometry,Garry!

Widest edge to edge,minus calibre is the 'standard way" (which is 'widest centre to centre holes",but that's slightly harder to measure with callipers).But it derives from the rather neat but very small groups in Bench Rest,where .3 indicates a loose bonnet...

Way back,string measure was used-essentially distances of each shot from the centre,and added - "how long is a piece of string"?

Maybe for field groups,a simple widest diameter is best -eg on Gary's measure,a .8 circle would be the smallest to cover all the shots,and then any dispersal in the 'group'-largely chance,anyhow-is 'covered'.

Conclusion stands whichever way,pretty decent 200y shooting.

Well mate that's some shooting!! if you can do that with 50grainers at 200 yards in a 15/18 mph wind with up to 30 mph! gusts off a landy bonnet I.d leave it at that as there are not much in the offerings for expanding heads to suit 1/9 twist save the 60 vmax ??maybe...O

Thanks ,got to say i am please with the groups but yesterday WAS calm! when i bought the rifle i bought it specifically for heavy er heads but looking at the balistics i can push 55g a lot faster than 60's and in my head anyway that seems to be the way to go up to 350 ish yards ! (which is probably about 90% of my shooting) the amax are tight and at a reasonable velocity so will probably stick with them for a while !though i have got some 60g vmax to try ,

OFF ROAD pythagerus is way beyond me lol your probably right though ! i just took an average of the diameter and took off the bullet diameter and charlie will have to accept that ! :D

dev,quite right-so long as you say how you measure group,it's ok,and crucially way beyond Charlie's ken

(to be fair,he'll be dead anyhow!)

To a first approximation you are right ballistically-out to 300y or so (depends on cartridge),velocity has the edge,beyond that BC( advantage heavier bullets in calibre) takes over (esp for wind) as the light bullets shed velocity faster.By the same reckoning,"flat' is pretty relative too,in sensible choices, and out to 300+/- it's not a big deal-inch or so.

gbal

gbal ive been reading your posts for some time now and its slowly starting to sink in about balistics because of these !and this is what caused me to stop and be honest with myself over what ranges im going to be shooting at and work a load to suit rather aiming for the holly grail !i do like a bit of long range plinking (im no target shooter)and it would be good to get a long range load worked up for this gun for the future ! i chopped a 25-06 in for this which i used to shoot out to 6-700 yards with and thoroughly enjoy! though now i have moved im more limited to where i can do this .

• 2 weeks later...

gbal ive been reading your posts for some time now and its slowly starting to sink in about balistics because of these !and this is what caused me to stop and be honest with myself over what ranges im going to be shooting at and work a load to suit rather aiming for the holly grail !i do like a bit of long range plinking (im no target shooter)and it would be good to get a long range load worked up for this gun for the future ! i chopped a 25-06 in for this which i used to shoot out to 6-700 yards with and thoroughly enjoy! though now i have moved im more limited to where i can do this .

The hornady 75 bthp are a good long range bullet with a 1-9 twist barrel. They also hit a hell of a lot harder than the 53vmax I also use for the shorter ranges out to 400 yards. You might get lucky and be able to stabilise the 75 grain amax. These were terrible in my rifle. At 600 yards they were about a 2 foot group!. The bthps stabilised no problem but I run them fairly hard- about 2900 fps using h4895.

Nosler 60 G ballistic tips too . ;)

thanks for the encouragement ,advice and compliments guys ,ive just got some 60g vmax to try, as its for quarry they need to be expanding ! it would be good if i can get the velocity up with a decent group size and a heavier bullet as that was the original plan when i bought the gun.

Archived