Hornet loading help

Offroad Gary

Im about to start loading for a cz .22 hornet, probably 40gn vmax. Any tips/tricks/loads.

Also, ive seen some posts about rounds too long to fit the cz mags, is this something i need to consider when selecting a bullet for the rifle. Rifle isnt mine but owner and rifle will be present when i load, just want to get my ducks in a row. Quarry will be fox and corvid, i only selected the 40vmax as i have a supply handy.

Thanks

I use the 40 gr vmax and have a really good load using 13 gr lil gun and 7 1/2 primer in a rem case with a light crimp.not sure on length without looking but wont fit into mag , the mag can be made to work but I just got a single shot sled off hear that is spot on

13 of Lil Gun. Small Pistol primer. About any bullet of 40 grains or less. Crimp with a FCD.

There are a lot of prairiedog bones littering the prairies in my locale as mute testimony to this combo's accuracy and effectiveness!~Andrew

I used to use the 50gr Hornady SP in my CZ, I would seat the bullets to mag length which was quite deep. Accuracy was very good with RP brass and IMR4227. I had great results with the 40gr vmax but no way could I get it mag length due to the long shape of the bullet so single feed only. Regret selling mine now tbh....

I never crimped with my hornet but crimping creates a slightly greater pressure spike in the case prior to the bullet entering the rifling - in pistols this helps maximise powder burn especially in magnums. Crimping hunting loads in rifles also aids robustness and reliability of the round. Try it by all means but it'll be fine without.

• 3 weeks later...

bit of a late reply ,but ive reloaded for the hornet for a couple of years now ,at first i didnt crimp and got ok groups and velocity but then took andrews advice re small pistol primers and a crimp and everything tightened up inc the velocity,mines a 465 and i cant alter the magazine so had to single load 40gn vmax and 12gn lill gun(about all i could get in)!ive just made it a dedicated nv rifle and wanted a mag feed now so im trying 40gn sbk and can get them at mag length "just",will see how they go in the next couple of days ive done them up to 12.5 gn lill gun(slightly compressed)

I'd suggest you take Andrew's advice- he's obv shot zillions of Hornet rounds.

It's a very unforgiving chambering in my experience.

Besides, any American who can out-spell a Brit is def worth taking notice of :huh::P :P

Archived