New Barrel fitted to the Steyr.

Guest northernchris

Guest northernchris

I have just got in from testing my Steyr i re-barreled on Thursday,it was originally in .22-250 but as i was going to re-barrel it i thought i may aswell chamber it in .22-250 AI,not just for performance but also i was getting bored of trimming cases every other firing <_< The finished lenght is 23.5" ,short i know but i wanted that way for shooting from the motor ;)

After fire forming some Sako factory fodder i loaded the newly formed cases with N160 between 39.5-43.5 behind Nosler's 69gr Custom Competition bullets sitting 15thou off the lands.

I fired the first 5 of 39.5gr N160 they printed 0.45" for 5 shots not bad but wanted to work throgh the loads.

Working through the loads i got to this :o:o 5 shots at 42.5 gr of N160 @ 3536FPS i am a happy bunny :D

newbarrel001-1.jpg

A pick of the new tube in place.

newbarrel003-1.jpg

Barrel spec- Lother 1-9 twist , .892" at the muzzle,straight taper profile.

Very nice chris, I have a interest in this one myself, I have a 22-250 on the way and I think before long I will have it re-barreled to 22-250 ai with a 1-9 or 1-8 barrel to run the 75g a-max or similar at around 3400 fps, the 75g a-max bc of .435 would make a great long range tool, to get a similar bc bullet in 6mm you have to go up to around 100g bullets, though it will lack the downrange energy of a 100g 6mm bullet, I dont think the bunnies or crows will notice. All theroy at the minute but it should work out.

Totally agree with you ackley on the barrel thing, my pac-nor barrel will shoot virtually any resonable load under half moa, doesnt seem at all fussy about seating depth and cleans in a couple of minutes, how could you ever want anything else, not lookin forward to cleaning the barrel on the new factory remington, hopefully it wont stay factory for long though <_<

Funky,

Chris did all the work himself, the only input from me was a bit of instuction on chambering and disscusions on the methods of threading the inside of the reciever, Oh and a custom made internal threading tool.

Chris has got good basic machining skills and the aptitude to pick up techniques quick, so the turning threading and chambering was not difficult for him to do.

Ian

Guest northernchris

Craigy

1-8 twist would be spot on for your needs mate,talk to Col48 or Dasherman,both will be able to sort you with a sensible money barrel.

Cheers Pete

your not wrong about proper barrels like chalk and cheese compared to factory stuff.Yep Col supplied the barrel at the right money AND on time which is rare in the guntrade.

Guest wireviz

Nice rifle chris i am also going to get a 22.250 as i have been asked to clear some local areas of deer so need a small moderated rifle. Weldone that col48 getting everything on time still waiting for my bullets now that's been 3 months <_<;):o

Guest northernchris

Elwood

I hate getting people to do work for me that i can do myself,with abit of advice over the phone from Ian ( A REAL " OLD SCHOOL" MACHINIST) it to be honest wasnt the big deal that other people make out it is.

ejg

I wouldnt say it was a huge job,the main reason why people dont like doing then is the barrels are an interferance fit.The hardest bit was making a fixture to run up the race way of the action,the rest was just a matter of boreing and threading the action ,then cutting a matching thread on the tenon then chambering.It should prove to be a stable solution as the tenon length comes in at 55.8mm.

Them Nosler seem to be doing real well so far :huh:

Hi Chris ,

Looks like you done yourself proud buddy and i bet she shoots sweet!!!! :huh::(

All the best..................

RAY....................................... :D;)

Nice rifle chris i am also going to get a 22.250 as i have been asked to clear some local areas of deer so need a small moderated rifle. Weldone that col48 getting everything on time still waiting for my bullets now that's been 3 months :huh::(;)

Dave

i don't know how you dare, :D i have brought them bullets up 2 times now ;) , and you could not be arsed to come and collect them. :D

just get yourself an action and we can put you a very nice 22.250 together, i have the reamer in stock.

its about time you treated yourself to one.(custom rifle that is) and you know no one can get close to the price i will charge you.

ATB

Colin :D

Loevly job Chris

Must have been a bit twitchy when boring out the old stub preparing to internal thread the reciver, not something i'd like to do.

The results speak for themselves mate ;)

Archived