US Rifle Stocks

Looking around at rifle stocks the other day and came across this site www.rifle-stocks.com. I know they are in the US but with the UK costs of hardwood it may well be worth importing. Any comments or experiences?

Hi Teach

Haven't bought a stock from Richard, but recently purchased his " Stress free pillar bedding " DVD, Great guy to deal with, but doesn't take credit cards, had to send him cash, but also takes money orders.

Cheers Steve

Hi Teach

Haven't bought a stock from Richard, but recently purchased his " Stress free pillar bedding " DVD, Great guy to deal with, but doesn't take credit cards, had to send him cash, but also takes money orders.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve

I think that Vermincinerator is right as they are taking credit cards now. My sister has moved to the states so I was thinking about getting one shipped to her and then she can send it BFPO to me. I will let you know how I get on. I have emailled them today to see what the score.

Hi Steve

I think that Vermincinerator is right as they are taking credit cards now. My sister has moved to the states so I was thinking about getting one shipped to her and then she can send it BFPO to me. I will let you know how I get on. I have emailled them today to see what the score.

DOH !! :huh::(

Apologies guys, your right, what does BFPO stand for ??

Cheers Steve

Guys, you are confusing two different set ups here.The Richard , Vermincinerator is on about, is richards custom rifles, who recently sold on the stockmaking side of his buisness, and this website, [www.rifle-stocks.com] is richards microfit stocks. Their stocks are great if you can finish them yourselves, but their waiting time makes mcmillan look quick. Here,s one i had a few years back.

DSCF0031.jpg

this is a wildcat thumbhole in electric blue laminate, and it was very pretty indeed.

Guys, you are confusing two different set ups here.The Richard , Vermincinerator is on about, is richards custom rifles, who recently sold on the stockmaking side of his buisness, and this website, [www.rifle-stocks.com] is richards microfit stocks. Their stocks are great if you can finish them yourselves, but their waiting time makes mcmillan look quick. Here,s one i had a few years back.

DSCF0031.jpg

this is a wildcat thumbhole in electric blue laminate, and it was very pretty indeed.

Hi Baldie

WOW! Not quite to my taste but very impressive. Did you finish it yourself and was it a major job. I am hoping that a couple of very experienced friends will give me a hand setting it up. The main reason for looking is the cost difference between uk and US. Also having a relative their makes things a little easier. I know that they are quoting 16weeks + probably 4 for postage but might make a nice winter project.

Hi Teach

Cheers Steve

Steve

How did you send your cash over? Thinkin of a similar thing and was worried about it goiung missing if you know what I mean ;)

Teach,

Its difficult to say how hard really.I have done a lot of stock work over the last 25 years, including a lot of stocks completely from scratch, so, no, i personally did not find it at all difficult. You will have some minor inletting to do, so a skill with a set of sharp chisels would help, then the patience to sand it down correctly, to remove every last scratch, because believe me, laminate will show it. However, i would say they are easy enough for any chap who is half useful with his hands....patience is whats needed mostly.

Also check out the ones from joel russo, that Col48 gets on here, a similar type of laminate, but in the macmillan A5 style.

Teach,

Its difficult to say how hard really.I have done a lot of stock work over the last 25 years, including a lot of stocks completely from scratch, so, no, i personally did not find it at all difficult. You will have some minor inletting to do, so a skill with a set of sharp chisels would help, then the patience to sand it down correctly, to remove every last scratch, because believe me, laminate will show it. However, i would say they are easy enough for any chap who is half useful with his hands....patience is whats needed mostly.

Also check out the ones from joel russo, that Col48 gets on here, a similar type of laminate, but in the macmillan A5 style.

Cheers Baldie

I have patience as I am a teacher by trade so thats not a problem. I am also good friends with Charlie Hunter who is the dogs with a chisel so I am sure he will give a hand if asked. I was just really impressed with the website so I thought as my sister was out there I would give it a go. It will stop me drinking in front of the TV this winter anyway. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how I get on.

If you want a tip buddy, finish it with birchwood casey Tru-oil. Its very easy to use, and gives a high gloss finish in as little as three coats.It can be dulled off slightly, for a more satin look, with their stock sheen and conditioner preparation, and can be very easily repaired and touched up, if scratched.

If you want a tip buddy, finish it with birchwood casey Tru-oil. Its very easy to use, and gives a high gloss finish in as little as three coats.It can be dulled off slightly, for a more satin look, with their stock sheen and conditioner preparation, and can be very easily repaired and touched up, if scratched.

Thanks Baldie

I will keep you in mind when I have a few sleepless nights in the Autumn when its all going pear shaped!

Steve

How did you send your cash over? Thinkin of a similar thing and was worried about it goiung missing if you know what I mean :lol:

Hi Orka Akinse

Just sent $30.00 in an envelope inside another envelope, and sent it registered post. To send the $30.00 by money order would have almost cost me the same again, just thought i'd take the risk. :lol: Probably not advisable for more expensive items ;)

Cheers Steve

Archived