Advice re powder

Doonered

Hi all. I'm hoping to start reloading for my .357 marlin 1894. And a bit later a no4 .303. Can anyone recommend some powders to start with for either. They are only going to be used for range shooting and nothing to serious at the mo. Also any decent places to buy the same in or around south yorks/ notts area. Many thanks in advance.

IMHO for the .303 British you'll find the 174 grain bullet is a good choice. In my experience, the best powders were BL-C(2)H4831 and H4895. The manual also recommends H 4350.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Brillo I've copied those details down and will try em when I get my gear. Gooner. Use the magtec cowboy loads myself. Very good value for money. Have saved all my brass to use again.

IMHO for the .303 British you'll find the 174 grain bullet is a good choice. In my experience, the best powders were BL-C(2)H4831 and H4895. The manual also recommends H 4350.

If you struggle to get any of these powders i know theres 9 tubs of H4895 at dauntsey guns - Wiltshire . Not sure about the others , and can someone tell me what IMHO means i still dont know and are wondering lol - cheers .

If you struggle to get any of these powders i know theres 9 tubs of H4895 at dauntsey guns - Wiltshire . Not sure about the others , and can someone tell me what IMHO means i still dont know and are wondering lol - cheers .

IMHO, In my humble opinion. We fall into the trap of using acronyms without thinking that others might not know the meaning. It took me several post before realising what PM stood for <_<

A classic and easy load for the .357 is 5gn Alliant Unique, behind a 158gn projectile, loaded at 1.585' OAL.

Others use the Viht equivalent (is it N120? Not sure....)

Good luck

Finman

We use hp 38 behind 158gr lead rnfp to good effect but we down load quite a lot as it all at 20. -25 yds . The other one that worked well was bullseye . I

Only prob with unique is that we found availability very limited and the news from the importers Edgar's I was told , is that next major shipment could be as late as 2016 , !! Edgar's did just have some powders in and my local RFD was on an April 2013 back order for some powders and he missed out because supposedly he wasn't high enuf up the list ! Fun fun fun :-)

I love Bullseye for my Rossi. You have to be careful though as it has a very small tolerance between minimum and maximum load.

For the .303 I use N140 behind a Sellier & Bellot 180gn. It gives the same point of impact as the military rounds that the sights on my Enfield were set for. Also the S&B have been the only bullets in stock anywhere recently.

Archived