Anschutz 1416 D-HB Ge

I've had an Anschütz 1416, albeit not the thumbhole version, for 28 years. It originally had a 22" barrel which I had shortened/re-crowned/screw-cut to 16" about 20 years ago.

The 1416 is a very accurate rifle - probably better still since it was shortened. For much of its life I've shot RWS ammo through it which has always been good, but I've recently discovered Lapua Club in tins of 500 rounds, and this is considerably mre accurate than the RWS. It'll easily shoot one-hole groups at 25 yds and performance out to 100 yds is very good indeed.

To be honest, if I were to change the rifle it would be for the Thumbhole you mention - buy it ... ... ... I would.

I've had an Anschütz 1416, albeit not the thumbhole version, for 28 years. It originally had a 22" barrel which I had shortened/re-crowned/screw-cut to 16" about 20 years ago.

The 1416 is a very accurate rifle - probably better still since it was shortened. For much of its life I've shot RWS ammo through it which has always been good, but I've recently discovered Lapua Club in tins of 500 rounds, and this is considerably mre accurate than the RWS. It'll easily shoot one-hole groups at 25 yds and performance out to 100 yds is very good indeed.

To be honest, if I were to change the rifle it would be for the Thumbhole you mention - buy it ... ... ... I would.

Interesting point about the ammo DW58, I use RWS Semi Auto at the moment in the 1022 and fellow range plinkers have dabbled with the Lapua stuff through their thumbhole CZ's with good results at 100yds too.

Anschutz reputation is leading me down the forbidden path....(so the missus says... lol) :)

It's a lovely little rifle, and the Thumbhole stock is much nicer than my late-80s piece of plank. To be honest, apart from the stock and a rather spindly bolt handle I can't come up with anything negative anbout the 1416, except it costs a lot more these days - I seem to remember paying around £150 new for mine in 1986 or 1987-ish.

I own a 1417 thumb hole stock .22 14" barrel ...

I have shot this oth in the field. & on the range ,

I have had great success with quarry, & I have competed in competitions to great success.

I always shoot off hand, and I can honestly say I don't think I have shot a better .22 bolt action in my life ( I have owned lots , Ruger, CZ, Remington, Voire, BSA, ect ) ... The trigger is 2nd to none ... Fact ! The action is smooth, the feel is great & The balance of this length is perfect for me.

In competition the top 20 shooters in the NSRA legues shoot 2 types of rifle - Anschutz & 10/22 ( although tere is nothing Ruger left on them ) ..

Ammo choice - anything that groups well over the distance you wih to shoot -

Mine loved T22 ( Winchester ) & Fedral .... More due to my style of shooting ,

But would group well with cci subs, Gecco, Remington as well as all of the Eley range.

My advice.... Go and hold it, shoulder it, get a feel ... You will know straight away !

Good luck

Silver surfer,

Another vote here for the Annie, though I went for the MPR when upgrading to an accurate 22.

Finding the ammunition your particular rifle likes is the 'trick', then start shooting at 100 plus yards really makes you start looking at you technique, reading wind etc. - much fun :)

Here's mine noe, the wood was 'shite' so recieved a coat of paint :

22rfMPR_zpsba81c9b6.jpg

Just starting to play with the barrel tuner 'thing'

Here are some results folks are getting the other side of the pond, interesting reference and reading:

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-rimfire-section/207953-snipershide-rimfire-6-groups-5-30-rounds-challenge-thread.html

Our club has a 108yard shoot for score comp, must be mag fed 22rf comp, the MPR's win (but a sorted CZ is pretty close !)

Terry

Hi,

An Anschutz 1710 HB is superb but so is a Tony Kidd Supergrade.

What do you want to use it for?

Phil :-)

Thanks for replies so far. I guess a great deal of use use will be 100m range work and occasional bunnies that's why I prefer the longer barrel for a .22lr plus i'm bored of the 1022 and its unpredictability with ammo.

Hi,

What about a target rifle if's mostly range. Or a Finnfire Range or Quad Range. They are very good :-)

Phil

That particular Anschutz rifle is quoted as having the same action/barrel as their match rifles... I like and have sako rifles but didn't like the quad when i fired one....felt cheap for a Sako!!! ps sorry if this upsets people who have them, but its only my opinion from my perspective..

I've not had the thumbhole version but IMHO and experience, the action and accuracy of the Anschutz is superb.

My personal preference is the Weihrauch HW66 Jagd-Match however. Go see !!

Have to agree with this. The Weihrauch HW66 is a fantastic 22. I had one for a few years and loved. There's a really nice 2 stage match trigger on the that works really well. The only reason I sold it was because I fancied a semi auto. The Weihrauch was capable of 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards with winchester subs on a calm day.I bought a waltzer gsp carbine rifle to replace it which can group almost as tight with rws r50. The waltzer is a serious tool for hitting rabbits,when they are out in big numbers. Very handy with 10 shot magazines.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived