Best scope for the bucks (F/TR)

Shootist

OK, here's the situation. Used F/TR .308 rifle acquired (on a budget) and tested using a cheap scope. It seems to show promise so the next thing is a scope. The rifle will have to fit the usual F/TR comp distances and will also be used for shorter range competitions such as the McQueen. Now, for better or worse, the word is 'budget' as in relatively small. I'm not setting out to beat the world, just to try and get the best bang for the bucks. So, what scope will be likely to be well useable on a budget. The overall price is not so important as not wasting money. The rifle has an inclined scope base, so the scope will be required to have enough adjustment to zero at, ideally 100 yards. A used scope of good reputation would be acceptable. I'd like to keep the price below £600.

All advice gratefully received.

Some 6-24 scopes can also be observed in F-Class comps. If a .25 MOA click adjustments is acceptable, a used Leupold 8.5-25 or possibly even a 6.5-20 with a fine duplex or dot reticle could be an alternative. Secondhand German (Zeiss, S+ B ) or Austrian (Kahles, Swarovski) optics in this magnification range will probably not make your budget.

Some 6-24 scopes can also be observed in F-Class comps. If a .25 MOA click adjustments is acceptable, a used Leupold 8.5-25 or possibly even a 6.5-20 with a fine duplex or dot reticle could be an alternative. Secondhand German (Zeiss, S+ B ) or Austrian (Kahles, Swarovski) optics in this magnification range will probably not make your budget.

Yes but this is FTR he will not make the weight limit in that class using s/b etc weight limit is a major factor in FTR so Sightron or March being the lightest scopes on the market

Agree regarding SB and Zeiss scopes. The Swaro 6-24 PV weighs in at just under 750 gm and a Leupold 6.5-20 17.8 oz/ 505 gm. The VX3 8.5-25 weighs in at 581 gm. They should be light enough for FTR.

Thanks for all the advice peeps. It seems settled on the Sightron option. all I have to do now it seems is to start a publicity campaign to persuade owners of these scopes that they are rubbish in the hope of starting a glut on the market. At present, the only ones I've seen are on the shelf next to the Unicorn poo. :lol:

Thanks for all the advice peeps. It seems settled on the Sightron option. all I have to do now it seems is to start a publicity campaign to persuade owners of these scopes that they are rubbish in the hope of starting a glut on the market. At present, the only ones I've seen are on the shelf next to the Unicorn poo. :lol:

Start a new wanted thread it'll be more likely to draw attention.

Alan

i used one yesterday-8-32 for the 1000yd br comp at diggle and only used it at x26 and iv got dodgy mincers.

Archived