WHAT'S OUT THERE !!!

SteveW

Im fast running out of reasons for them not to be out there :);). one last stab, i live in one of the highest sheep producing areas in the uk, if a lamb or two go missing due to foxes or more likely in recent years there black n white mates the phone will be red hot, so these big cats would need feeding outwith the lambing season which would mean older lambs or adult sheep being taken, this would not go unnoticed and action would need to be taken until the problem was resolved. i know these cats would also prey on rabbits and deer, smaller meals would mean more time hunting therefore more chance for us to bump noses with one, i know leopards carry there prey up trees, anybody seen a sheep up a tree?? B);)

Seeing is believing, knowing my luck ill be the first human casualty :D:lol:

rgs nell

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im pretty sure none of you will believe this but here goes,

Last night as usual on a monday night i headed out with a fellow stalker for a look around the estate. we droped off my vehicle at one side of the ground and headed around the other side to stalk back into the wind. We got to the drop point and jumped out Andys motor. As usual a quick glass up the hill to see whats going about. As Andy turned round to check out the hill behind us he spotted a fox running towards us. I got him in the bins and watched as he ran straight down towards us. With that he shouts what the ****. He had spotted something running away from the fox up the hill. I didnt get time to glass the animal but saw him for maybe 15 secs with the naked eye (250yrds)before he vanished over the hill top. We were hyped at what we just saw but didnt really want to believe it. It was big and black, the size of a lab but longer and smaller legs ide say. The tail was the full lenght of my arm. Compaired to the fox that started off beside the animal it was maybe twice as big.

we went on to stalk into some bucks and i went in for the shot. 100 yrds and laying on a raised mound i went for the neck shot. The bullet went out and somehow i missed him clean. Pissed off we went further out into the ground to try and see if we could get into another buck. Nothing was doing and it was now dark. We arrived back at my landrover and after loading up we headed back round to the other side of the estate to pick up Andy's motor. As we got off road we started lamping and within 2 mins we picked up a set of green eyes 250 yards out. The eyes were like a ewe, Wide apart but bright as hell. I jumped out and put the rifle on the bonnet to have a closer look. It was what we saw earlier, big black and a tail as long as my arm. It was stood broude side and was just watching us. Not bothered at all. We drove into the field to get closer, we stopped again at the top of the field. it was still stood there and again i put the rifle on the bonnet. I had the cat right in my sights and it was no moggy. It was only what i could describe as a panther. All im saying is i went out this morning with a friend to check my sights and they were shooting a foot and a half right. When i was dialling in at the weekend i must have went back to zero in the wrong direction. :) . I spent about an hour on the side of that hill this morning with Bruxie trying to find any signs of a strike. Still at least it is still out there and i now know why i missed the buck also. Im off to Italy to work in the morning but i will be back in a month and spending every hour up on the ground. Ill keep you posted if i see out.

Ads... ;)

Quite an interesting thread! I live in mountain lion country and I'll pass on a few things about them that I have learned.

These cats -and they can grow to be quite large- are pretty stealthy and not often seen. They can make themselves very small when they need to. Even here where we know that cats are around, a sighting is rare. I have only heard of one hit by a vehicle in the last 15 years hereabouts. They can be very nonchalant at times. During a recent forest fire one strolled through the parking lot of a local restaurant in front of the morning breakfast crowd.

A lion will attack a horse if it's old and unable to hunt. They will attack humans as well. One of the odd things about big cats is that while you are hunting, they will be stalking you. Not usually with the intention of attacking, but just out of curiosity. The big cats will be behind and (if possible) above you as you hunt, not in front of you. One thing that can trigger a cat to attack is if a hunter/jogger/hiker stumbles or falls. This signals a wounded prey and often precipitates an attack. Areas of California have had joggers attacked and sometimes killed just because their running excited an attack. Children and pets (and livestock) are always vulnerable.

Our mountain lions are very dangerous. My brother told me he found tracks behind his place in South Dakota and I encouraged him to track it down and kill it for the sake of his grandchildren who play on his property. He is resistant. He is of the "live and let live" philosophy, never having had experience with the large cats. If I come across it's tracks, I will follow then to it's den and kill it if I have the chance. Cats make poor neighbors. If you come across a big cat in your locale? Kill it. Bury it. Keep your mouth shut about it. Everyone will be able to sleep better. JMHO, of course! ~Andrew

hi auquhollie it was quet a morning up the road

andy and i are going up tomorrow night for a stalk sertantly wiil not be splitting up the cat has been spotted up there a few times over the past year or two

one of the other boys roddy was up there last year he was sitting in the high seat half way up that hill waiting for the does to come out when all of a sudden roddy heard what he described as a woman or a child scream(recon it was a female looking for a male ) from behind him well as you can guess roddy s--t him self jumpeed down of the high seat ran about 500 yards to his car then raced of to the meeting point to wait for the others andy said he was white as a sheet and now does not like stalking there alone

wheather or not i would squeze the trigger on a beast like this if i got him in between my cross hairs is something i will keep to myself :blink:;)

i recon that the cats are out there when the dangerous animal law came out i think it was the early seventys but have crossed with other cats we will see if we find any signs tomorrow night

but if you never hear from me again you will know i have been the cats wednesday nights tea :o

all the best bruxie

but if you never hear from me again you will know i have been the cats wednesday nights tea :o

The cat was hungry not desperate :blink:;):P

The cat was hungry not desperate :blink:;):o

ads if i find your big black panther/puma of a cat that that roams the highlands of scotland

i will just leave out a saucer of milk then pick up tiddles and take her home to its owner

when you saw the cat in your scope did it have a coller and a little bell :P:P:D

all the best bruxie

ps are you going to tell the boys and girls here your other cat story

Hi guys,

could not some of the distant sightings of eyes and the like, as well as the presence of torn apart bodies in the field may also be attributed to feral dogs or even wolves? Wasn't there a pack in Scotland (albeit captive)?

Not disputing the sightings, just curious...

Finman

Hi Finman

At 20yrds just sitting there looking at you I can assure you that I can tell the difference between a large dog/fox/a big tabby cat and a Mountain Lion. I had not been drinking/don’t do drugs. I reported it to the police because I was concerned about the safety of children ect and they did not take the piss but took it seriously.

Best rgds

B-b

Hi Finman

At 20yrds just sitting there looking at you I can assure you that I can tell the difference between a large dog/fox/a big tabby cat and a Mountain Lion. I had not been drinking/don’t do drugs. I reported it to the police because I was concerned about the safety of children ect and they did not take the piss but took it seriously.

Best rgds

B-b

Hi BB,

yours was clearly not what I was offering an alternative possibility to. I, too, think that there probably is a population of feral felines out there, but sometimes, when the evidence is a torn apart body or a shadow at 200yds, it leaves its self open for the question of dogs doing some of the damage. Not so, of course, when you come face to face with the critter...

Best wishes,

Finman

Hi BB,

yours was clearly not what I was offering an alternative possibility to. I, too, think that there probably is a population of feral felines out there, but sometimes, when the evidence is a torn apart body or a shadow at 200yds, it leaves its self open for the question of dogs doing some of the damage. Not so, of course, when you come face to face with the critter...

Best wishes,

Finman

My point was that not all sightings are far off fleeting glimpses, the thing is all of us are used to looking for foxes, deer ect we are not actively looking for big cats so when a lad says he has seen something that was not a fox then the chance of misidentification is less.

There does seem to be a common thread to the sightings all describe the animal as Labrador sized big cat which is either tan or black, nobody is seeing Tigers or African sized Lions ect. The uniformity of the sightings gives them more credence.

No offence taken by the way.

Best rgds

B-b

Hi steve,

I was troubled by what I saw but not scared. Spooked maybe, as the hairs on my neck stood up .

As Silent said, he has seen them before so they are in the surrounding area ( Bodmin )

I cannot comment on the killings of livestock or domestic animals as I do not live in the area of the sighting.

I am sure you have typed in `Beast of Bodmin` on you tube. There is a lot of crap about , but some of it is real.

Make of it what you will....Maybe you have to `see it to believe it ` or is it ...`believe it to see it`.

I am still on the look out and often look over my shoulder when that icy tingle runs down my spine :blink:

hey martin, i would be more scared of being out on the moor with varminter at dusk than big old cat ,what he offerd to show his "beast of truro" than you know what real fear is!! ;):o:P

Guest varmartin

You cruel Bastards.....ragging on Varminter in his absence.......you know he dont eat a pasty.!!

He likes Venison sausages though :blink:

My point was that not all sightings are far off fleeting glimpses, the thing is all of us are used to looking for foxes, deer ect we are not actively looking for big cats so when a lad says he has seen something that was not a fox then the chance of misidentification is less.

There does seem to be a common thread to the sightings all describe the animal as Labrador sized big cat which is either tan or black, nobody is seeing Tigers or African sized Lions ect. The uniformity of the sightings gives them more credence.

No offence taken by the way.

Best rgds

B-b

I think it is absolutely fascinating that these animals are roaming the countryside for many years now (which probably implies that they are able to breed) yet, in a densely populated area such as England, none have been captured, shot, or otherwise found...you are absolutely right, there aren't that many people who are imagining the same thing, it must exist...They must be a very efficient hunter and survivor, unless of course, people do have them killed but keep their mouth shut, as some of the contributors to this thread have suggested.

I am very intrigued to hear from Auguholie though, his story definitely needs telling (wish I knew what it was!)....

Best wishes,

Finman

Silent and my self were out on some land of his last year when we entered a narrow `valley ` type field.

I was surprised to see to my left , close to a hedge line a `Large Black Cat`looking right into the hedge.

Now the hedge was well over 5 feet tall and this `Cat` was easily as long as the hedge was tall.

I don`t know what it was...but I can tell you what it was not...and that`s a domestic cat.

We have had discussions on this subject before, and don't know where we would stand if we were stalked buy one and `needed` to shoot it. !! ...

They are definitely out there....some where.

If you got to shoot it do it with a camera, it will be worth a whole lot more that way ;)

I am very intrigued to hear from Auguholie though, his story definitely needs telling (wish I knew what it was!)....

Best wishes,

Finman

the story is a cracker i have heard it a dozen times now and it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end he is away working in italy just now but i will keep on at him to tell us his tale

all the best bruxie

Fascinating topic! There is debate here on the same subject and I keep my options open.

One thing. If a dirty great lion sat up in front of you out in the scrub and you bowled it, you could do your license? Ok, lions were once native in the UK, so say a puma. Would you do your ticket for shooting it?

Best wishes,

Finman

the story is a cracker i have heard it a dozen times now and it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end he is away working in italy just now but i will keep on at him to tell us his tale

all the best bruxie

Thank you Bruxie,

you are doing everything you can to increase the anticipation. Perhaps the offer of beer will make him change his mind?? ;)

Best wishes,

Finman

Thank you Bruxie,

you are doing everything you can to increase the anticipation. Perhaps the offer of beer will make him change his mind?? ;)

Best wishes,

Finman

wasting your time with beer does not work for him the only thing that gets him going is charlie fox or some 600 yard bunny bashing with his 243 ai

will try him again or wee should all just pm him to death ;););)

all the best bruxie

Best wishes,

Finman

Here goes then,

Well it was Jan 2006 and i had a friend / neighbour harping on for me to take him out foxing. He had never shot nor seen a close up fox before even though he has shot rough for many years. I decided on going it on foot. I picked a farm of 200 acres which marches with the biggest forest in Scotland. This farm can on the right night produce up to 8 foxes (if my calling is up to scratch).

We dropped the landy and headed out onto the edge of the ground. I quick lamp produced nothing. So carrying on into the ground we stopped every 100 yards and gave it a couple of mins of calling. Once in the middle of the ground we spotted a pair of eyes out to our right. The ground it was on when first spotted was the neighbouring estate. 10,000+ acres of moor land. We sat down on an old rock pile and started calling. The eyes immediately started to come in ( at this point the suspected fox had maybe 800 yards and three stock fences to cross.).

Sitting still we turned the lamp off and i continued to call. After maybe 90 seconds i turned on the lamp and had a sweep of the ground. The eyes had gone and whilst still looking i turned to Barry and whispered "its buggered off mate". With that the eyes re-appeared !! ten yards straight out in front of us !!. The eyes were green and so bright you could not make out what it was due to the glare they gave off. Barry fumbled to pop open the scope covers to get a look.

He did get them open but he had the scope zoomed in on 25x power as he was trying to see it when it was out at 800 yards. By the time he worked out how to un zoom it the animal turned and was off. It took less than a minute for the animal to return to ware we first spotted it. Over the 3 stock fences as it went. I did get a good spy of what it was when it turned its head to run away. It looked like a tabby cat only much bigger and stockier. Barry never seen through the scope still to this day, but when i told him what i saw he didn’t believe me. He thought it was a fox as he didn’t know the difference, as i said he has never seen a fox at night. Once i assured him what i saw he ran at full pelt back to the landy and by the time i got there he had tanned a few fags B) . The bugger left me standing. Just glad i had the lamp and battery pack. Since that night Barry has never joined me on foot, we have been up that farm hundreds of times and never seen it again.

I reported it to the local FAO (who is a syndicate owner and a friend) and he laughed. I was in the middle of telling him I wasn’t bull shitting him when he told me the colour of the animal. He had had reports of it before. I asked what he would have done on that night had he have been in my shoes. His words i wont repeat but he would have had a taxied cat in his living room soon after. He also assured me that on my FAC it states that i can shoot animals for the protection of other animals and humans.

Would i have shot it? The speed it came in from off that moor!! For sure. It that which promotes growth and vigour me up big time.

I’m sure there are people out there that are thinking what "utter shite". Like i have said, I know what my eyes saw both times. It’s just a shame i dialled back to zero the wrong way last weekend.

Ads

There IAN happy now: P

P.S off out for a Beer, the suns still shining and the Beer gardens full. ;):P

hi auquhollie

i dont doubt you for a second. you know we are in the same area and i too have seen with my own eyes and up to that point was sceptical.

i was driving up the coast road to aberdeen to see my then woman, my brother and his mate were lamping i knew on ground that i passed on way up there.

basically i came round a bend in the motor and the animal crossed the road in front of me, i am 100% certain it was no fox and ok the thing that sticks in my mind was the movement of the shoulder blades and the huge low sweeping tail, but it was miles bigger than any friggin cat ive seen, and my mates wive has one of those bloody maine coon cats and its huge. i got more than a fleeting glance but couldnt believe it at the time. i stopped in the next village to get myself a drink and phone my brother, the guy in the shop asked me if i was ok and i told him what i had seen thinking he would think i was nuts.

he just replied so casual like" oh aye ive seen it a couple of times and so has the wife" ;)

there has been sightings on and off in the area over the years. guy i know who shoots local saw one and his bird was at university and spoke to someone there ...he appeared with a catalogue of sightings, plaster cast foot pads and blurred video taken against known items as scrub etc and established sizes...he is convinced without a doubt there are cats of some description out there.

sauer

cheers auquhollie

love that story hope everone here did to

hows life in italy working on a land rig doing jam doughnut all

then taxi back to a 5 star hotel torture pure torture

think i might tell everone a story now how about the one about 3 foxs and 20 regal king size

what do you think bud ;)B):P

all the best bruxie

cheers auquhollie

love that story hope everone here did to

hows life in italy working on a land rig doing jam doughnut all

then taxi back to a 5 star hotel torture pure torture

think i might tell everone a story now how about the one about 3 foxs and 20 regal king size

what do you think bud ;)B):P

all the best bruxie

nooooooooooooooooooooo DONT DO IT Ian !! The wife doesnt know i smoke :lol::lol::lol:

Oh and yeah the 5 star is well lets just say the super king size and corner bath is bliss :lol:

Ads

Archived