Tikka t3

some of you guys will no this.

buying a new rifle, a Tikka t3 1:8 twist. whats the difference in the tikka tac and the super varmint accuracy ways? which barrel length is better 20" or th 23n3/4". it will be used for long range varminting and targets. THANKS.

You don't mention which calibre? With a twist of 1:8 I'm guessing either .223 or 6.5x55mm

The differences are clear on the Tikka website, but the main difference is finish, the Super Varmint is stainless while the Tac is Phosphated. Some calibres are screw-cut, some are not. There are other minor details such as the bolt handle, but you can see these on the website.

For distance you want velocity and therefore a longer barrel is always going to produce results. Will it be target competition or just informal field use?

For fox under the lamp 300 yards will be a long long way. I would look at a T3 blue in .22-250 and hand load 52 V-max. Very capable plinker out to 500 yards.

My first CF rifle was a .223 1-8" tikka T3. If it was a .22-250 T3 varmint I would still own it. Great rifles and I still own a blue T3 varmint .308 be it in a fancy stock.

manly field use. dont hand load yet. your right about lamping, id say 250 max at night if you no the area. looking to keep it cheap thats why am sticking with 223. mybe if i start hand loading ill change..

The two T3 variants you mention are effectively the same rifle with the same barrels, just finished differently and with a few differing features.

Have you checked to see if you can get a 1/8 twist super varmint? I was told the advertised 6 mth waiting list I could at least double, and then I'd be luck!

Steve.

Have you checked to see if you can get a 1/8 twist super varmint? I was told the advertised 6 mth waiting list I could at least double, and then I'd be luck!

Steve.

FWIW I ordered a .260 Super Varmint last August. No sign yet...

Barrel length becomes critical for long range target shooting,to squeeze the last out of a 'becoming marginal 'cartridge (308 at 1000y,eg). Velocity is somewhat over rated though,for varmint shooting at moderate ranges....

As you say,you won't be shooting many fox at over 250y.And 500y is a pretty long shot at any vermin with a 223. At that sort of mid range, an extra 4 inches of barrel-say 60-100 fps MV- isn't going to transform trajectory-you have drop/drift in the 50/30" ball park at 500y,anyhow,so a theoretical couple of inches really does not change much (one click less! At 300y,it's 8/10,just about doable,esp if no wind....

"tactical" rifles often have 20" barrels-presumably one of the main tactics is get within 650 yards.....

What you might consider is that the shorter barrel is significantly handier from any restricted shooting position (cab),especially if a moderator is used,increasing length on any barrel....

For target only,longer barrel wins out, especially with the heavier bullets (so 1 in 8).

gbal

Steve.

Thanks. didnt think they would be that hard to get. Going to see my gun dealer tomorrow evning so il no better then...

There are only two 1:8 T3s currently listed on Guntrader, however with this being a popular calibre there may be more. When my son was looking for one in June, our local (well 60 miles away) dealer just happened to have a T3 Sporter in .223 1:8 on which we got an excellent deal. This rifle has already shown itself to be a real tack driver, and my son won a first place and several other placings in the Inverness-shire open last weekend with it.

I'm sure there are other 1:8 .223 Tikka T3 Varmint models (Varmint/Stainless Varmint/Super Varmint/Sporter) available if you are prepared to shop about, but Guntrader is a starting place for you.

1. Varmint Stainless .223 1:8 - £1,000 McAvoy Guns

2. Varmint Stainless .223 1:8 - £1,000 McAvoy Guns

Hi,

The SV is listed as having a "Varmint heavy contour barrel (cold hammer forged)", but the Tac is listed as having "The free-floating barrel is made of match-grade Cr-Mo steel".

Surely if the barrels were both the same the manufacturer would be advertising the fact and the spec?

I have a Tikka T3 SV in .243 with Zeiss Duralyt 6-12x50 IR and it is a superb rifle, the only thing you'll need to do is remove a little of the stock as the barrel is not completely free floating. 5 minute job with a dremel.

You can't go wrong with a Tikka.

some of you guys will no this.

buying a new rifle, a Tikka t3 1:8 twist. whats the difference in the tikka tac and the super varmint accuracy ways? which barrel length is better 20" or th 23n3/4". it will be used for long range varminting and targets. THANKS.

If you can find one you would be better off with a 1/8 twist at 23-3/4 inch barrel for mainly longrange use, in time if you like it and it shoots well you could always ackley it ;)

Gaz

22-250 barrel burner with a lot of powder I don't see the point

There are currently a couple of T3s with 1:8 twist .223 listed on Guntrader, if my memory serves me correctly both are 20" Varmint/Super Varmint models.

If you can find one you would be better off with a 1/8 twist at 23-3/4 inch barrel for mainly longrange use, in time if you like it and it shoots well you could always ackley it ;)

Gaz

22-250 barrel burner with a lot of powder I don't see the point

Yawn....not this again.....lol!!!!!

Archived