Sako 85 laminated varmint

Dear All

have any of you any first hand experience of the Sako 85 varmint laminate stainless. One of my god sons took a liking to one with a 20inch barrel and a 1 in 10 twist. Will be used for foxing with occasional deer. No hard earned has been shelled out so far as a variation is needed but would appreciate the collective wisdom of the group. Looking like it may be scoped with a 4.5-14 Leupold VXIII LR scope. Calibre is 243 Winchester

Cheers

S

I have that exact set up, sako 85 laminated with 20" bbl, at first I thought the barrel was to short but this was only me over thinking, iv come to like the short barrel and havnt noticed any difference shooting it, but I do not shoot long range, I know everyone slates the sako 85 but to be honest I can't see anything wrong with it, and I'm really pleased with mine, and I purchased mine after a friend bought one and I took a liking to it. I have a Leupold vx3 4.5-14x50 it's not a bad scope it's no swaro but it's not swaro money, and as I got mine second hand it owes me nothing... Tell you god son to go for it, at the end if the day it's HIS rifle and someone else's opinion should not sway or bother him

I have just recently purchased this exact gun not 4 days ago.

I think for the money it's a little cracker. Reassuringly heavy . The magazine is a joy to use. The varmint trigger has blown my mind. I have it set at just over 1.1/2 lb pull for foxing. And the 4 oz target stage is so sweet.

Only downside for me is the velocity loss. If it had a 24 or 26 inch barrel it would be a 10/10 for me.

I've only managed to get 3388 with the 70 grain nosler bt 's. And that's with varget .still does the job just fine though.

Oh and back the point, I was given 20 105grain gecco in 243 for barrel break in.

They grouped under half inch 100y as soon as I was on paper. Quite supprised! !

I have just recently purchased this exact gun not 4 days ago.

I think for the money it's a little cracker. Reassuringly heavy . The magazine is a joy to use. The varmint trigger has blown my mind. I have it set at just over 1.1/2 lb pull for foxing. And the 4 oz target stage is so sweet.

Only downside for me is the velocity loss. If it had a 24 or 26 inch barrel it would be a 10/10 for me.

I've only managed to get 3388 with the 70 grain nosler bt 's. And that's with varget .still does the job just fine though.

Oh and back the point, I was given 20 105grain gecco in 243 for barrel break in.

They grouped under half inch 100y as soon as I was on paper. Quite supprised! !

Fantastic, just what I was hoping would happen, being able to shoot heavy bullets improves the versatility quite a lot in my opinion. Saying that 3388fps with a 70 grainer is deer legal which is great too!

Lovely gun I've got the same with a Schmidt scope on it had the rifle about 3 years never had a problem with it and I shoot 58 grain Norma for foxing and 105 grain gecos on fallow and roe and got a tikka t3 30.06 for reds and In my opinion the sako is the best rifle I have every shot your god son won't be disappointed

I have one in 204 with the 24in barrel and its fantastic, shoots 1/2" groups with factory ammo and under 1/4" with Berger 35g/N135/BR2 home loads. I like it so much I've ordered another in 260 Rem Which should be arriving in October, also with 24" Barrel, He will not be disappointed.

• 6 months later...

Hi just came across this thread, a bit late but I assume you decided to buy the Sako or not..... I own this rifle and found it to be super accurate. I shot the smallest group I have ever managed with it, (.195" 40.5gns. Varget behind a 75gn V-Max.). Followed this with a .209" group with factory Federal Powershok 100 grainers. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Now for an alternative view. I have a Sako 85 in 308. It originally came with a synthetic stock which was so flexible that when you loaded the bipod you could spray holes all over the target. Changed to a Sako laminated stock which solved the flexi problem but even with home loads I can't get a consistent less than one MOA group. Sako/berretta in their wisdom have decided the 85 doesn't need a recoil lug and other than the two action bolts, it relies on a piece of metal screwed to the stock by a couple of DIY wood screws to marry the stock to the barrel. In my view it is a major downgrade. I'm now looking into having it pillar bedded with the inclusion of a recoil lug. Not a happy bunny, should have gone semi custom with a Sako 75! Am I the only user with this problem? Ionic

Ionic sorry to here you have had trouble with yours. I'm guessing yours must be the sported barrel as don't think Sako do a synthetic stock for the varmint, Got mine bedded into a Macmillan and it shoots like a dream. Have shot some of my smallest groups with this rifle. If I were you I wouldn't chuck a load of money at it, it may shoot a little better but will cost a load of money and you may still not be happy with it!

• 2 weeks later...

i have a super varmint 243 with a 20 inch barrel and ive shot it out to 800 yards with good results,i to thought the barrel would let it down,but i was seriously wrong.my mate has the sako though and that to is a brilliant rifle,i would get that Sako with out a doubt pal..

• 1 month later...

Archived