Too good not to passs on

Finman

In a recent trip to America, I found in a bookshop the books of PH Capstick. These may be well known to some, but I had never heard of the man before that time. I just started reading 'Death in Silent Places' and this is what he says in his foreword:

'Capsulised as we are in a world in which our electronically vicarious thrils and Holywoodised 'nature' shows are served up over the flash-frozen, microwave-revived, mass-prepared corpse of a some long-dead chicken in its disposable alyminum coffin, segmented by insipid feminine-hygiene product commercials, it is not all that easy to remember- let alone relate to- the fact that we once were, and still are, hunters. As in predators.

Because of our largely urbanised existence, I suspect that some readers may find this book gory. In our carefully insulated world of the west, genuinely violent death and its aftermath are visual rarities, although even a few hours of any evening on any network will provide an almost unbelievable casualty list of shooting, explosion, strangling, poisoning, drowning and more thoughtfully disposed-of victims. But not real death. In our society that inevitability is neatly and sanitarily packaged in obituaries, memorial services and cheques to charities which seem to vie for evermore unpronounceable and dreaded diseases to stamp out.

Alas, death is not so neat in the silent places...'

I read a lot and this is one of the more eloquently phrased summary of what I have felt for a long time, so I thought I'd share it with you. Who knows, some of you may also share similar thoughts.

best wishes,

Finman

All sounds a bit deep for me, I'd rather read "Sniper One" now that's a damn good read.

Charly,

not deep at all, just eloquent... If you dissect what Capstick put on paper from the excerpt that i put in the message, you will probably uncover the root of thinking which makes us cautious to discuss our sport, and unwilling to accept gun ownership in a society which hides behind its own finger pretending that these things are not part of their lives...

that said Sniper One was a good read....

Finman

In the vein of "talking about our sport" that FinMan alluded to, I'd recommend another book that (IMO) is well worth the read. It is titled "A Hunter's Heart". I believe "English" on this board has a copy I gave him when he last visited me in the States.

Very thought provoking about why we hunt, and spawns a bit of soul searching that is inline with the mantra that started this thread.

JMTCW...

In the vein of "talking about our sport" that FinMan alluded to, I'd recommend another book that (IMO) is well worth the read. It is titled "A Hunter's Heart". I believe "English" on this board has a copy I gave him when he last visited me in the States.

Very thought provoking about why we hunt, and spawns a bit of soul searching that is inline with the mantra that started this thread.

JMTCW...

Marine PMI

would you be so kind as to let us know the full reference of this book, so that it is traceable through Amazon and the like. I am sure English likes his copy and would not wish to share with the whole of the group membership

Kind regards

Finman

FinMan,

Sure thing!

A Hunter's Heart: Honest Essays on Blood Sport

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

OAN, I am always surprised (and envious) at how much more those in the UK and parts of Europe value books and reading. Sadly, in today's US most kids just want 5 min sound bites, and RSS feed snippets. Its refreshing to know there are still those who place value on taking the time to read, digest and contemplate the contents of physical book. To be honest though, I was shocked at what books cost in the UK (needless to say I was driving an hour to Lakenheath/Mildenhall to use the book store on base).

Sorry, I'm rambling...

An excerpt from the above mentioned book that I rather enjoy (in addition to my signature quote)...

"...I realized one evening, after the bird was gone, after the leaves had settled, after I had stood for what must have been a very long time, that I was waiting for something: a half-forgotten sound, a memory, an echo.

So it came to be, it came to pass, that one day last autumn I picked up my gun and I went hunting--excused myself from the audience and took up, once again, my old part, on a new stage, in a drama I recalled so well. I hunted all day with confidence and when the Great Moment came, discovered that both my heart and my mind were connected as truly as a line drawn between two points. I fired twice.

With what results?

The answer lies between me and the echo."

FinMan,

Sure thing!

A Hunter's Heart: Honest Essays on Blood Sport

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

OAN, I am always surprised (and envious) at how much more those in the UK and parts of Europe value books and reading.

thank you Marine PMI

always welcome a suggestion for a good book! I shall check this one out soon. Not reading does to one's brain what not eating does to one's stomach...

Finman

Archived