Blaser accuracy question

Yes anyone any experience of the Blaser R8 and R93 with the target barrel?

How accurate are they?

I have a R93 in standard barrel and its very good, but not good enough to compete with.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Ray

I have a friend with an R8 in 7mm RM, it shoots sub 3/4" at 100 with factory - entirely acceptable for a factory rifle.

I used to own a LRS 2 in 308, that shot sub 1/2 MOA with 168g Factory and a whole lot less with home loads.

Ray

I've been watching a couple of folk shoot with Blasers recently. The one comment I made to one of them was that their prone position was much too high. They look nice handy rifles for shooting off sticks and out of a high seat, but the geometry doesn't look quite right for getting the butt an inch off the ground.

Regards

JCS

Yes anyone any experience of the Blaser R8 and R93 with the target barrel?

How accurate are they?

I have a R93 in standard barrel and its very good, but not good enough to compete with.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Ray

Had an R93 with a jagdmatch barrel (heavy fluted) in 243 - phenomenally accurate.

I have a LRS 2 in 223 that shoots .25moa if I do my bit. I have never owned a rifle so accurate TBH

Plus1. I have one of these myself. Very accurate with hornady 53gr vmax and 75grbthp match. Most accurate 5 shot group to date .180 inch at 100 yards. Under half moa out to 650 yards when everything comes together.

A friend of mine had a Blaser Tactical (LSR?) rifle in 22-250 with the fluted barrel. He did not hand load at the time and shot Hornady Ammo in it. It was an absolute tack driver. I do not think I have seen a more accurate 'factory' gun. I was amazed.

Nick.

I just came bak from a test on an LRS in 338 and that bugger was stinking accurate with nothing more fancy than S&B 300 grain match ammo. The ergonomics of the stock were the weak point if anything.

Blimey, really? Whilst it may be the ugliest stock on the planet, I found the TAC2 stock to be have the best ergonomics of any stock I've ever handled -ever.

I've only answered the accuracy side of this: exceptional.

The reliability question is a separate issue with a very different answer.

Superb accuracy, best ergonomics......but... http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/21672-blaser-lrs2-tack-2/?do=findComment&comment=176206

Hi Longbow, I'm the friend that Nick refers to in an earlier post, I had a LRS2 in 22-250, the factory rounds were actually 50g Winchester Silver Ballistic Tips, the rifle was unbelievably accurate, the best stock I've ever used bar none, it would shoot screamers for fun, not just for me by the way, for at least half a dozen shooters who tried it.

All who shot it said it was the most boringly accurate gun they had ever shot, and suprisingly that was after at least 4-5000 factory rounds, which in a 22-250 is quite suprising.

I also set up the nicest blaser I've ever seen, it was an R8 Success with brown leather inlays, fluted semi-weight barrel in .243, topped with a Zeiss ASV scope, the customer only wanted to shoot factory rounds so I used Hornady 95g SST and 58g V-Max, the gun shot both into one hole groups no problem at all. Incidentally, the rifle was a left hander and I'm right handed!

Took me a while to get my LRS2 stock set up properly... I just couldn't get the fat cheekpiece comfortable and was considering getting rid.

It ended up way to the right which then mean't that any left-handed shots when out foxing were almost impossible, although I found as long as I could see through the 'scope and it was on the target I could just pull the trigger..... very forgiving the LRS.

That was just ok with the .243 barrel but no good for the 300WM so I ended up buying a couple of the riser plates and cadging some surplus Remi 700 stocks from Riflecraft. Cut the cheekpieces out of those to match the profile of the original Blaser one and foam filled the plate into the cheekpiece. Builders foam for Mk1 to suck it and see then black high density PU for Mk2.

The result is I now have a truly ambi LRS2... I usually shoot right-handed and the rifle came with a leftie bolt.. best of both worlds.

And do they shoot! The stalker I go to in Scotland occasionally checks his zero on 4" clays at 500m with his 300wm with Norma factory ammo and many friends and clients have picked his rifle up and done well with it.

My standard barrelled R93's are the easiest rifle's I've ever shot.. they just fall into place perfectly for me and they don't care if a Match barrel is on either.

A brace in a fine place......Mull/Ardnamurchan peninsula in the distance (Just wish I was there right now... :( )

.243 barrel with the "Hubble" on top... we're just waiting for foxy to appear in the big bouldered 500m by 350m bowl 150m below us.. magical place.

P1000171_zps3f8e7b09.jpg

P1000179_zps8269f69c.jpg

In fact... just seeing the pic of the rifle has made me think I might just take it out tonight to wait for the foxy that turned right into the wheat just as it walked into the edge of the 'scope to where I'd decided I was going to stop it to take the shot. Never to be seen again. <_< Merde.

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

Hi Longbow, I'm the friend that Nick refers to in an earlier post, I had a LRS2 in 22-250, the factory rounds were actually 50g Winchester Silver Ballistic Tips, the rifle was unbelievably accurate, the best stock I've ever used bar none, it would shoot screamers for fun, not just for me by the way, for at least half a dozen shooters who tried it.

All who shot it said it was the most boringly accurate gun they had ever shot, and suprisingly that was after at least 4-5000 factory rounds, which in a 22-250 is quite suprising.

I also set up the nicest blaser I've ever seen, it was an R8 Success with brown leather inlays, fluted semi-weight barrel in .243, topped with a Zeiss ASV scope, the customer only wanted to shoot factory rounds so I used Hornady 95g SST and 58g V-Max, the gun shot both into one hole groups no problem at all. Incidentally, the rifle was a left hander and I'm right handed!

Hi Mark.

I got confused. It was Hornady in your .204 wasn't it?

That Blaser of yours was certainly a jaw dropper :D ,

Nick.

Hi Nick, yes it was Hornady in the 204, it was a 1in 14" twist,but favoured the 40g over 32g, go figure?! The chap who bought the Blaser has said he would get rid of his wife before the rifle as it's so accurate! Don't forget it had at least 4-5000 rounds through it!

Hope you are well and would be nice to see you this year!

Just as a note about Blaser rifles, I purchased the LRS2 new when they came out around 10-15 years ago, a normal Remmington or Tikka/Sako was around £600-£750, I paid £1750 for the rifle only, very expensive in its day, shot it madly for many years but looked after it like a fanatic would, and sold it for £2000, still on original barrel, after it had at least 5000 rounds through it, what other rifle would have given me the same return?

Hi Mark.

4-5000 rounds!

Makes you wonder just how hard the barrel steel is that Blaser uses. Or is it that the 22-250 is not the barrel burner that people think it is when used in a well cared for rifle?

Nick.

Hi Nick, yes it was Hornady in the 204, it was a 1in 14" twist,but favoured the 40g over 32g, go figure?! The chap who bought the Blaser has said he would get rid of his wife before the rifle as it's so accurate! Don't forget it had at least 4-5000 rounds through it!

Hope you are well and would be nice to see you this year!

Just as a note about Blaser rifles, I purchased the LRS2 new when they came out around 10-15 years ago, a normal Remmington or Tikka/Sako was around £600-£750, I paid £1750 for the rifle only, very expensive in its day, shot it madly for many years but looked after it like a fanatic would, and sold it for £2000, still on original barrel, after it had at least 5000 rounds through it, what other rifle would have given me the same return?

£20000 is a lot for a .410 Blaserman

Archived