taking a rifle on a ferry or plane

nearly there

Plane: Check the airline will carry them. Pack it in a baggage-handler tough lockable box. Turn up early to check in and declare it at check in, probably get taken through a different route with a police check; receive it at other end probably with police check.

Ferry to NI - no idea I'm afraid.

You'll defo need a Pelicase or similar which is lockable and handler proof. Check airlines carriage restrictions lots won't carry firearms, I flew to Jersey in 2008 with Flybe and they were cool. You'll need to declare it with extra paper work etc.

Most ferry companies will take firearms but some wont take ammo, so if you're looking to buy a rifle and bring it back it might be OK. TBH I'd talk to your local RFD and get it transferred as per the normal process,

Alan

When I had my first custom rifle built by border barrels about 5 years ago, at that particular time border could not get a courier to ship it to my local rfd here in Northern Ireland.

So my only option at that time was to go get it myself. I fancied a daytrip anyhow.

I notified the ferry company on booking of the ticket and this wasnt a problem.

When boarding the ferry from scotland back to NI I reminded them that I had a firearm on board, not one bit of notice was taken, this didnt seem to phase them or have any effect on security or checks of the rifle or nout.

Just a "Thats ok Sir"

As a UK FAC holder you may well need a permit to have the rifle in your possession whilst in NI. While working out how we were going to the Irish Open I looked at travelling through NI and a permit is required. Check the PSNI web site.

Permits also required for Ireland on top of your EFP.

Bradders i assume i broke the first rule of fight club

No, you broke the first rule about buying a gun in N Ireland

When our French contingent come over several times a year to shoot that wonderful discipline we call CSR, they always bring their guns with them.

I've asked them what they do at the border checkpoint, to which they reply " we just drive straight through"

They can't be bothered with the aggro of checks and it's all legal anyway with a EFP, so the less the Feds know the better it is for everyone :)

If your taken it by plane you can declare it when your booking tickets.I have taken my rifle back to northern ireland a few times to stay legal you need to contact the psni firearms licencing team and get a permit so you can bring it into northern ireland.

I have flew back home a number of times using easy jet and they had no problems at all accepting a firearm. When you land your gun wont come through the baggage convayor belt its already been handed over to the police who will take you into a private room to check all is in order then your sent on your merry way.I am not sure why but i was refused when i went to buy ammunition in northern ireland because i didnt have a northern irish FAC even tho my Fac was british and northern ireland is classed as part of the united kingdom.

Archived