shaving brass of case rim

bigyin

ive noticed that my howa .223 is shaving a small amount of brass of the case rim, it doesnt do it on every case ,tonight after firing the first round the case was stuck in the chamber (gutted as id travelled a fair way to this permission), it came out pretty easily when i got home with a small wooden dowel down the barrel and a light tap with my hand,ive cleaned the bolt face out with carb cleaner and there was small amounts of brass near the extractor ? anyone any idea what causes this and is there something i can do to prevent it happining again ?

thanks allan

Our local gun shop has a Weatherby Vanguard .223 Varmint that does this with factory loads. The gun was purchased new and returned. It turned out to be a burr binding the extractor. My Howa .223 was doing odd things with regard to putting cases in and out of the chamber, and shaving brass. A good disassembly and cleaning of the extractor and ejector put it to right again.~Andrew

Suggest you chamfer very lightly the ejector plunger hole at the face of the action.

(obviously you'd need to strip the bolt down first)

Thanks for replays lads ,

I load 23.8 gr n133 and 55 gr gameking

I worked the load up and had no pressure signs till 24 plus,

I cleaned everything out (extractor , plunger and chamber) and have fired 12 rounds and had no further problems , that for tip for plunger hole aswell il try that if it comes back

Cheers for help

Allan

Archived