.284 Win. repeater with detachable mag. What action to use?

mikeroz

If this is in the wrong folder then sorry.

I would be grateful for the opinions of some of the esteemed Smiths on here.

If I was considering a 284 win build.

As I see it there are 3 options;

1. Build on a short action.

2. Build on a long action.

3. Build on a Mauser / Parker Hale action.

I realise that the SA will restrict COAL so would possibly discount that option immediately.

That leaves the LA or the Mauser.

I believe that new Mauser actions are available from Norman Clark. I don't know whether he would be prepared to release one to another smith (I would prefer to use one of you guys) or whether he'd insist on doing the complete build. According to Nathan Foster's website the Mauser 84mm mag length is ideal. Decent triggers are available but my concerns are is the action worth the investment of a good barrel and what about a decent bottom metal & magazine feed? Then will the use of one restrict future resale value should I ever consider parting with it?

With the LA option, are there any issues with the action being too long?

Finally, have I missed any other options? Are there any other actions that are in between lengths with available mags?

Pro's & con's of all option would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

I could curse my tablet. I just wrote a reply then lost the lot.

Vince,

Proposed use is predominantly long range field work (say 80%) but to get there and to retain an adequate standard of markmanship range work is essential, so 20% use is proposed at either Bisley or Diggle. No competition work, just practice / play. I only reload.

The barrel; 26 inch fluted about the profile of a Remmy 700 PSS.

Gbal,

Just cos I fancy one and fancy 500 to 1000 yards plus. I've heard that with the right bullet they are excellent at bucking the wind.

Edit; Just to make this quite clear my requirements are;

1. An alternative to my .243 & .308.

2. Must be deer legal.

3. My .243 / .308 barnard SM switch barrel is already very accurate, but is only 21 inch. I fancy something different to complement it and something with extended range very accurate capabilites.

4. Nice trigger and 5 round detach mag that must feed well.

5. Picattiny 1913, not weaver rail.

There would be no issues with using a long action at all. A rem footprint will feed .284 from a L/A aics with no problems, just a few tweaks. Resale would not be affected. It would using a mauser.

This would fit all your requirements, I've built several in exactly this configuration for Deer and range use.

I dont think I would consider the Mauser for longer range repeatability...(though im sure plenty of Boers would disagree with me)

Forget using a S/A unless you want to single feed.

If its a sporter/ stalker - id be using a L/A Sako or Tikka action for aesthetics.

If its a range gun, then a Rem or similar custom (same profile) would be the way to go as Dave says with a AICS bottom metal.

Budget would depend on final choice obviously.

Tikka T3 would be the cheapest donor I think in 270 or 25-06 and work from there. (By cheapest I mean easiest way to build a complete rifle from the donor)

I think you've now answered all of my questions. Thanks guys.

Mike, 284 is a good choice,as you know-well favoured by fclass etc,originally designed as a deer cartridge.Fine for a custom rebarrel. Nothing at all wrong with just fancying something that actually works well-I have one too!

Enjoy!

( the Boers of course had less choice back then-more 7 than 57 varieties,and relatively few precision rifles are first choice mauser actions.)

Gbal

( the Boers of course had less choice back then-more 7 than 57 varieties,and relatively few precision rifles are first choice mauser actions.)

Gbal

Though a great many high end (value) rifles are made on them,,,,,,,,,,for reasons unknown to me as there are far better choices available.

Had a guy come to me a few months ago with a 7k .275 he had collected the week before - was asked to sort out a poorly fitted magazine catch and poorly fitted sling swivels.

Rifle was a new Mauser action....

Stock was nice,

Showed him the 275 id built on the Sako AV - and comparing the two there was loads in favour for the Sako as a base for a high end build.

The only thing that the Mauser has over many other actions only comes into its own in dangerous game rifles - controlled feed.

I think Accurateshooter/6mmBR website had a feature on a custom 284 Win built by a Canadian guy- check it out. It was/is one of their rifles of the week

Hi

I had ronin build me one on a tkka 695 (have a 5 shot detachable mag)

its supper slick & I have to say Its a lot smoother then most (including my own) custom actions ive used!

mines a fair chunk but great for its intended use:-)

cheers Andy

Hi

I had ronin build me one on a tkka 695 (have a 5 shot detachable mag)

its supper slick & I have to say Its a lot smoother then most (including my own) custom actions ive used!

mines a fair chunk but great for its intended use:-)

cheers Andy

Was a pleasure to make and I hope it serves you well for many years to come. :D

Was a pleasure to make and I hope it serves you well for many years to come. :D

Im sure it will mate:-)

its been a bit of a safe queen but I had it out the other day and was smacking em into about 1" at 400yds

great rifle just not any amax around so being a bit frugal with them!

cheers Andy

Archived