Im sure it works, but im struggling to understand how the moderator acts as a brake as well.

The brakes purpose is the vent gas sideways to eliminate recoil from the HP gas escaping the muzzle during the firing cycle.I

If the gas is encapsulated by the moderator body, how does that effectively manage the gases from the brake - surely the brake then becomes ineffectual and it (the moderator) then act only as a moderator providing limited recoil attenuation only over effective sound attenuation...?

I did think the efficiency of the brake was ever so slightly reduced with the moderator fitted, but surely the initial impact and deflection of the gasses is what makes it work. Once the gas has passed the vent angles in the brake it becomes turbulent and is pushed away by the remains of the blast having no worthwhile effect. Whether that is strait out sideways (and upwards in this case) or into the initial void in the moderator, I don't think it really matters much. Think blasting something with a jet of water. The baffles only occupy the end 1/3 of the moderator leaving quite a large space for the gasses stripped by the brake to dissipate into.

I'll try to be a bit more objective/observant when I use it next.

Incidentally, it makes quite an unusual sound. Almost like tearing a piece of cloth.

How do you time a brake for a left hander?

I'm not sure you can unless you watched someone shooting the rifle. If the rifle pulled to oneside for someone under recoil, you could time the brake so that it mitigated some of the 'muzzle flip' to one side or the other but I would think you'd have to observe the shooter to do this not just assume it is one way or tother for a righ/left hander. Or am I missing somthing?

• 3 weeks later...

Ronin ,

You are correct , it ONLY works as a brake , when by its self , when its covered by the suppressor , its acts just like a flat washer baffle , it still looks like a nice unit , BUT WHY ? did they not make a little locking mechcanism for the can , to KEEP the can ON the brake ?

I took the plunge and bought one of these recently with the Tac-brake - still waiting for the rifle so can't comment on performance yet.

Purchased one of these a fews weeks ago for the AW to replace the old trusty Ase utra Jet Z .308. Used it quite a few times now and given it a fair test including long shot strings to get it hot (tried to get it to loosen), and this morning in a club comp. Also tried it with and without the suppressor fitted out to 700 meters.

I was fed up of the jet-z loosening so tried their Bore lock system on the same moderator as it has a locking mech, tbh it din't work well at all, I think mainly due to the weight of the system effecting the harmonics (groups opened right up) and was inconstant when removed and re-fitted so I returned it. Understandably so i was quite sceptical and cautious with the spartan.

Back to the Spartan, my thoughts so far-

I have the titanium tac brake fitted, and I use it in reflex mode instead of end of barrel mode as in reflex I found it actually tightened the groups a little.

Without the suppressor (brake only) the recoil is reduced but not quite as much as the AI brake which is to be expected as this break is smaller (and a lot lighter), still on the 6.5x47 recoil is noticeable reduced. With the suppressor fitted recoil feels exactly the same to me, i.e very little. If you strip the mod down and geekily analyse it (i did) :-) the break sits at the end of the threaded reflex chamber inside the expansion chamber, it has a lot of room for the gasses to act on the brake as per usual and then expand into the rest of the chamber both between the reflex chamber and the moderators outer wall, and forward towards the first baffle. This is different to the AI suppressor for example which has little room for gas expansion and as Chris said they do act like a flat washer baffle sealed by an O-oring at the rear. On this mod though there is plenty of room. On the spartan It may reduce the breaks effectiveness slightly but it certainly doesn't feel like it on my shoulder.

I zero with the moderator fitted, POI shift between mod and no mod at 94 meters is +0.4 mils elevation and no windage, which is great as its within the adjustment range of the PM2 zero stop so I don't have to remove and re-zero the turrets if Im only using the brake.

Brake hasn't loosened during firing, when its threaded on you feel it butt up against the brake exactly the same way as a moderator does on a well machined barrel thread, takes a good snap of the wrist to undo it. I think the threads need to be kept lubricated though the same way as all thread on barrel mods should.

The biggest suprise for me was the noise reduction, I wasn't expecting it to be uber quiet given the size and its doesnt need it to be for range work, as I said Im using it in relex mode but it genuinely sounds as quiet as the jet Z and has a duller noise (aluminium maybe)? :-/, but adds little to the overall length.

Heat a mirage is noticeable and on par with the Jet Z, but that will be delt with as I've ordered custom TAB gear cover that should be here soon.

So im impressed so far. Sorry if that detailed review has bored anyone but thought I'd give my opinion.

Very reassuring - I'm looking forward to getting mine up and running if only Tikka would deliver.

Dan, I was very interested to read your experience with the jet-z bore lock, I am assuming you are the reason I was out off buyimg purchasing by jacksons.

Thanks for the indepth review.

Yes I probably was :-), I was surprised with the bore lock however Jackson where great when it was returned, and Pete was more interested in my feedback than anything else, as per usual they are giving out brilliant advice.

I must admit I was disappointed but it certainly saved me a lot of money.

how is your TET brake timed? Crush washer or smith?

also I would like to see a more permanent fixing.

How about some pic of the AW with reflex option...

No crush washers, brake itself is timed and has enough material on the back of the brake to allow a lot of timing to take place. Its nipped on with a spanner up against the barrel, not coming off easily.

As requested.

IMG_1327_zps61be3f44.jpg

You can see the threads are quite 'beefy' on the below pic.

IMG_1329_zps1d5a0e8f.jpg

image_zps6652677b.jpg

Archived