Tried out the new Spartan3 moderator on my .260 at Bisley today.

Got to say I'm very, very taken with it.

It has an extremely effective integral muzzle brake which can be used on its own or with the moderator fitted over it.

It's light, compact and surprisingly quiet for its size. It weighs in at 400g compared to 720 for my Northstar.

E564430A-B900-4216-B6ED-F62CD8A0B34A.jpg

I got the tac brake which needs to be timed to the barrel for correct orientation. It's made of titanium so is feather light. It makes the muzzle flip almost nonexistent, to the point that on one occasion I was able to watch a bullet travel down range!

51AF5335-794E-4330-86EA-D5E9A1F0F6B3.jpg

DAFA296D-8A79-41E5-9464-B207FAF581C2.jpg

The brake comes in .30 as standard but worked very well indeed on the .260.

The moderator is aluminium with an aluminium baffle stack, each baffle having a stainless insert to reduce erosion. I was stunned at how quiet it was when I stood back and let someone else shoot the rifle. The baffles I got are for 6.5mm so it was working at its optimum today :-)

2D75BE50-54A3-41EC-821F-13A76426E40B.jpg

F14D00FE-78D6-4C3D-B857-EF89C86A5421.jpg

I plan to use the brake/mod setup on my .243 as well and am waiting for a timed spacer to align it correctly as a stop gap before getting the barrel shortened (and timed to the brake).

The mod works as both an end can and a reflex depending on which insert is used. I am still waiting on the reflex insert so can't comment on its sound reduction.

So, a big thumbs up to Craig at Third Eye Tactical.

Would I reccommended it, yes without hesitation.

Rup

I have just put all the bits in the sonic cleaner to remove some of the crud. I'll see what I can do when it's dry.

No clamp. It needs timing on a lathe.

No clamp Dave. But it's a bloody neat unit. Though it is as loud as a TRG brake, but does 'brake' effectively too. I had a few shots, very impressed.

I nearly got one to go on the TRG but rup got his before I spent all my money, but it's going to be part of the build list for the rebarrel on the TRG soon in .260 as the difference in windage between it and .308 really showed today.

The brake is threaded to fit the barrel thread. There is also an outer thread on the brake that the mod screws onto.

Was a bit concerned that it was a lot like my old TLD megaphone with sloppy threads but it is spot on and a credit to TET.

There are recommended torque settings depending on wether you want the brake to stay in the mod or on the rifle.

I used it hand tight today without any dramas though the brake is inclined to stay in the mod but I suppose that depends on the threads.

They also make what they call a pepper pot brake which does not require timing.

Here's a link. http://www.thirdeyetactical.com/downloads/Pepperpot-TAC-Brake-and-SpartanIII-Sound-Moderator.pdf

I'm sounding like a TET salesman! Can assure you I'm not, I just bought a good product and want to share :-)

In this instance, when you do the brake up tight so the shoulders of brake and barrel butt together, the vent holes that direct the thrust that counteracts muzzle flip need to point upwards. If they don't then then the timing is out. Either the shoulder of the brake or the barrel need to be machined to enable correct alignment. TET do supply shims to correct the timing (or alignment if you prefer) though this is not ideal if the brake is to be removed on a regular basis.

On my rifle the brake was 65 degrees out of alignment so needed to be skimmed.

The beauty of timing a brake, is that it can also be timed to suit either a left hand or a right hand shooter.

Haven't tried one of the brakes yet, but I,ve used quite a few of Mark's spangly doofers which is what brake the TET one is designed from, and they work very well indeed.

I'm pretty impressed with the look of this - I'm in the market for a suppressor for my forthcoming .300 WSM and one of these ought to fit the bill nicely.

Is the Spartan 3 a new mod from third eye, or is it just an updated version of the original Spartan, I had a Spartan, and I have to say the engineering was superb, but as for sound reduction mine was very average compared to other mods iv got and used, just wondered if this was new version?

Mash. Just the brake needs timing.

Tuck. Yes new mod just out. It's not as quiet as a large capacity mod and doesn't pretend to be, but given its size I would say it's very good.

Scotch. Here you go. Forgot to put the thread protector on the brake.

DBA3ED31-FA87-4071-8A0C-C977E5674FDF.jpg

5749187F-29F6-4892-BAC8-E37DE804F426.jpg

26B32712-C3AE-42FD-BDA4-444FB79BCA3D.jpg

Yes pacnor 27" 1:8 6.5mm the profile is the Sendero. It's a touch heavier on the rifle than I expected after handling the barrel in Neil's workshop, but now the rifle is up and running, I'm very pleased with it.

...hope to see it in the flesh at the next RRC!

Glenn.

only if it's a (dry!) 600yd+ RRC, otherwise it's the .243 which the spartan will also fit :-)

Is that a kelpie X [ the dog ]

He gets called many things ;-). Kelpie is a new one. Possibly, he's a lurcher of sorts but lots of suggestions. He's second hand with no history other than he originated in S Wales.

Yes Staffy or bull terrier would explain the heavier set. And the stubborn attitude! Lots of people see saluki in him too.

Yes, S Wales. He's a rescue dog, apparently they don't do second hand dogs in S Wales!

How do you time a brake for a left hander?

Archived