First post

Mulerider

Enjoy reading the site, but had not offered any thoughts of my own. Rare, if you ask my wife!

Long time hunter and reloader, pursueing large game, varmints, and bird hunting. Really enjoy the small cals, having a 17AH, 17Mach IV, and a 20-222 Improved, plus the various 223's, 250 Sav, and my "big rifles", the 7mm-08.

I frequent saubier.com forum, which is how I found this site.

Glad to be a member...today's shooting project is turtle elimination from a stock (cattle) pond on my place. Long term project is finishing my 300 yard range, as the bulldozing was completed last week. Totally protected by heavy woods, the range will be great to use when wind would otherwise be a pain.

Greg

Hi Greg, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Can I ask do the turtles cause a problem? I was in Texas a few weeks ago and a couple of guys talked about turtle shooting, but I thought they were joking........just curious

Ian

Thanks for the welcome.

Doing some bedding work on the 20-222; when thru, I will report on how it does, and some load data.

The 17AH is almost boring in what it likes; it is a CZ527 with a 21" Pacnor SS barrel. I usually use AA1680 under 20gr Vmax's, but recently bought some Norma 100 to try.

Elwood: turtles just seem to rank as an undesirable pond predator, and I paid good money buying some brood size game fish for my pond. Plus just another target opportunity!

Greg

and I do ride a mule; a 9 y/o bay mare (mollie). Very trail worthy and useful in livestock, she's damn smart, but sometimes uses her intelligence in evil ways :)

edi:

I am about 80 miles northwest of Houston, still close enough to the Gulf coast to have higher than desired humidity. Houston is tough to take in the summer, and I'm a native Texan! 200 miles further west in TX would be better!

Used to shoot turtles in South Africa as a kid, damn things stunk like hell.

How far are you away from Spring/Houston?

I visit family over there every now and then.

edi

Mulerider

welcome to the site!

Just a question: I thought that mules are not assigned a gender (well, at least in my country-Greece- they are not) as they cannot breed. Have i got this wrong??

best wishes,

Finman

Finman: mules certainly have their distinct gender; male mules are known as "john mules", female as "mollie mules". But they have 63 chromosomes ("normal" animals have an even number, hybrids are odd), so neither mule gender is capable of creating their respective viable eggs or sperm.

Thanks for the help with this Mulerider. We used to ride mules and donkeys as kids, in my grandfather's farm a long-long time ago... Back then we just refered to them as 'it', hence my question. Again, welcome to the site. As you can see it is not all about guns :lol:

edi:

I am about 80 miles northwest of Houston, still close enough to the Gulf coast to have higher than desired humidity. Houston is tough to take in the summer, and I'm a native Texan! 200 miles further west in TX would be better!

That's not too far from Spring tx then.

I'll be over next christmas and I presume bored.

Give you a shout when it comes closer.

edi

edi: hope you make it back to TX, boring or not! December we will be into deer, dove, and crow hunting, with coyote and feral hogs always on the ticket.

That's not too far from Spring tx then.

I'll be over next christmas and I presume bored.

Give you a shout when it comes closer.

edi

Horse aint so bad...ceptin them thick headed crow bait Appaloosa's...

They even smell differant.

308Panther

Hey now, thems fightin' words! :D I used to own an Appie, and while she was a hand full, she was a damned good horse! ...Too smart for her own good at times (caught her opening her own stall and then opening the other stalls), but a heck of a horse...

edi: hope you make it back to TX, boring or not! December we will be into deer, dove, and crow hunting, with coyote and feral hogs always on the ticket.

Got tickets already. 2 weeks dec-jan.

I'll keep in touch.

I't would be nice to get out while over there.

edi

LOL! I hear you, I've had a similar experience with a Arab (horse, not human :D). The horse's name was "Stone Cold"...I still have the remnants/scar of a severe hematoma when he latched on to me as I walked past his stall, and tried to drag me over the stall door. Mean cuss he was...

He couldnt ride it as he was afraid of it

Yep, that's the kicker, once a horse knows you're afraid, you're done. Period.

I never did endurance, but I've seen and known many people who have. You're right...25 miles on a horse is a whole different story, never mind the 100 mile endurance races that I watched here in SoCal. Rough riding for sure...

LOL! Yeah, when you mentioned Endurance Comps, I figured you had Arabs. My girlfriend (at that time) had an Arab (as did most of the ladies at this particular boarding ranch). Nice horses (generally) if you could get over their high spirited nature and not be imtimidated. Tough little buggers too... Supose it has to do with that one less - and small stature that made them some so resilient and long living (my past girl friends Arab just recently passed away/put down at 24yrs of age).

No offense taken and none given...

Apologies for highjacking the thread... ;)

I still miss having horses, just don't have the time anymore, and that just wouldn't be fair to the animal... :(

Archived