Rifle in vehicle

oaken

Ive spoken about this subject with John Thornley (co-author of Deer Law and Liabilities) who is also an ACPO advisor (Wildlife and Firearms)

What I posted is pretty much straight from the horses mouth and from my own perspective (my full time role) id not have any issue with anyone who was sujected to a crime who had taken reasonable precautions to secure a firearm.

The issue comes where people leave them out " while cleaning" and they're stolen,,,,when the house is unoccupied.....

Thanks Ronin

My gut feeling is that, as you say, if prudent precautions are taken then it's not really an issue. I can secure it in such a way that it would be a veritable PITA for someone that was specifically after my rifle. The average pikey that was set on having my mobile, dog and fishing gear would have no idea a rifle was secured in there at all.

Fortunately, Walkabout has saved the day. All I have to worry about now is my regular stuff getting nicked!

Gary. Appreciate the dig about leaving the dog in a hot vehicle. Best surf is the first few hours after dawn, so might leave the heater on for him ;-)

Cheers

Rup

Dawn near Bude......hmmmm.

Car crime a big issue at dawn near Bude? :lol:

'Reasonable' precautions are just that: reasonable. Ronin's level of precaution is exactly what I would do - and have done..........at Widemouth. You were going a step further and mentioning a lockable cabinet (I've assumed steel)

I think some of the viewpoints here are misunderstanding 'reasonable' and leaning towards a certainty of 'impossible to steal' and paranoia....which is unreasonable - part of the 'reasonableness' picture is 'environment'. What may be reasonable precautions on a Cornish/Devon surf beach at dawn would probably not be reasonable precautions in a car left overnight in Moss Side.

Reasonableness: turn up the gain.

Certainty/ Paranoia: turn down the gain.

The test is 'reasonable'. It's a low crime area. No one is going to get the broken down and separately secured rifle or ammo without serious steel cutting tools (so no different to your cabinet at home - other than, perhaps, such tools are less likely to be available on a North Devon surf beach at dawn than in your home town). You even have a guard dog :)

Archived