284Win Berger 180gr VLD Question

mole-e30

Hi Folks

I am looking to get the throat of my chamber pushed forward, it is very short at the moment.

Question is to those that shoot the 180gr VLD bullet, what is your COAL?

I have worked out what I think it should be, but want to double check and see if I am in the correct ball park.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Short like you !!!

Ill check mine for you tomoz buddy

2.565" to Ogive Thats giving approx 13 thou jump with same bullet

Using a 220" freebore with a 1.5 degree leade gets the VLD boat tail/bearing surface junction pretty much right at the neck/shoulder junction. This would be considered in the "donut area" so if you have something like this as a throat, then it would pay to either use an expander mandrel to push the donut to the outside of the case then turn it off, use an inside neck reamer, or just size the top half or 2/3rds of the neck so the donut doesnt size down and touch the bullet. This last method is what one of our Aussie shooters Alan Fraser uses for F class- Alan won the second day aggregate at the FCWC in Raton. Ive adopted it and it seems to be fine, though I am inside neck reaming as well to keep the donuts at a minimum.

Or undercut the case neck shoulder junction and you don't get donuts at all….

I like mine with coffee :lol:

Yes that works if you have a tight chamber that you need to turn to maintain clearance. Mr Faser and I both shoot no turn chambers.

Archived