Dealing with cubs

Offroad Gary

It's the time of year again when I get the call to deal with cubs. This time on a 2500 acre farm when I do the fox control, I don't get out on foot as much as I used to so normally one of the farm workers tips me the wink where they are.

This pair were particularly problematic, been after them for a while. The dog was a lamp shy as buggery and the vixen was getting into a 70 acre deer/badger fenced free range chicken enclosure and taking hens, on a daily basis.

Friday night I sat out opposite the earth, a badly shot muntjac carcass (got that from a friend, client stalkers...) placed in the field to scent the place up a bit, and provide food for any cubs left at the end of the night.

EBA69B84-2FD0-4DD1-88AE-55CD2E9933A6_zps

Got out at 18.00, at 19.30 the first cub appeared..the wait began. At 20.00 the vixen was bringing hens in under the cover, couldn't see her but the cubs kept going in and coming out with body parts, they particularly enjoyed playing with the head!

At 20.30 the dog approached, down wind of me and the bait, he was only interested in the bait, approaching with extreme caution, he was as twitchy as hell. I waited until he was in the zone and all 4 cubs were well in the open.

Decision was made, take dog and whatever stood.

5 shots, 5 results. 80m prone

9DE77D65-F705-4CE5-A2C6-B25F99E9AA1B_zps

I left the carcass in the hedge for the vixen, compensation for her family.

Next morning I returned, after being there 10 minutes the vixen trotted through the bushes and fell to my new rifle. 120m off sticks.

Both rifles built by the same person, 6.5x47l. Ammo was a mixture of 95/100/120 gn polycarbonate tipped bullets. They are very accurate, just the tools for this job.

It's not a particularly enjoyable job, but when carried out ethically it can be almost satisfying.

I always find this time of year difficult to shoot quarry due to the obvious of it being in mating season.

Especially, fox and rabbits.....

I seem to have gotten worse as the years have gone by. Don't get me wrong, if the farmer tells me he's had a problem with a fox, then I'm right on it no matter what. But I'm losing the stomach for it the last few years......

Is that a green Tikka T3 stock Gary?

Jamie

nice job! I am always happier taking cubs than the vixen and no cubs but like you I leave food if there are cubs left. Actually had success with a cage trap for cubs this year.

Well done - I'm due to go off after some cubs this afternoon - just got to wait for the farmer to call to say that he's got the land next door cleared for me to shoot over.

nerves of steel ! Or balls of steel lol , carlos hathcock would of been impressed with this , just like i was when i read about his 16 shot 16 kills in 16 seconds in Vietnam - truly amazing ;)

nerves of steel ! Or balls of steel lol , carlos hathcock would of been impressed with this , just like i was when i read about his 16 shot 16 kills in 16 seconds in Vietnam - truly amazing ;)

I must say, the old ticker was going when the dog walked past me about 30 yards away, seemed like a lifetime waiting for him to get down near the bait so i could move and get set up on the rifle. I get it more with a tricky fox than i do with deer these days.

Archived