£1000 rifle

Evening all,2 questions for you all first has anyone had any experience of steyr ssg p1 (.243)? second has anyone got a great shooting rifle for sale for about £1000 (I have a slot for a .243) cheers neil.

i had one in 308 and it was as heavy as a train with 8 carriages on it,

sad to say i think its not worth £1000 second hand be it 308/243/22,250, there are better rifles out there and for a lot less.

RSC

• 2 weeks later...

i have a nice remmy 700 here low shot mcmillan stock sorted trigger t8 mod £610 posted

Ssg p2 are a cracking rifle if you like the stock, nearly as bad a plastic tikka stock, if you buy 2nd hand make sure it comes with mounts and is screwcut as both of these are not cheap on this rifle

Had one in 308 big and heavy,

to be truthful not that impressed the stock and balance were awful.

Got a .243 Sauer 202 Select for £900 if you're interested pm me

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 22.250, previous model to SSG, one of these,

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Steyr+mannlicher+22.250&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&imgil=_ZWeugFrImZBIM%253A%253Bhttp%253A%252F%

Top row, 3rd from left.

It fed lovely but had a very long throat, with factory ammo it resembled a shotgun, reloading from memory 20 thou further out got it down to about a couple of inches.

I have heard that others in the same caliber had the same issue, it was a great killer though, last thing I shot with it was a crow, 100 yards head down facing toward me. The 55gr NBT split it in half just about.

A

I had a 22.250, previous model to SSG, one of these,

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Steyr+mannlicher+22.250&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&imgil=_ZWeugFrImZBIM%253A%253Bhttp%253A%252F%

Top row, 3rd from left.

It fed lovely but had a very long throat, with factory ammo it resembled a shotgun, reloading from memory 20 thou further out got it down to about a couple of inches.

I have heard that others in the same caliber had the same issue, it was a great killer though, last thing I shot with it was a crow, 100 yards head down facing toward me. The 55gr NBT split it in half just about.

A

A,the lethality is of course down to the cartridge/bullet-a 2moa rifle is more a scare crow device,with occasional random lapses! :-)

Gbal

Just buy a tikka T3 varmint and have some fun.

I own a .308 and it is cracking value for money.

+1 on the Tikka. I have a T3 in .223 Rem and it's very nice to shoot, and not that heavy to carry.

Jamie

I have a SSG in 243

I have been using it for 15 years.

I wish I had kept a count of all the foxes it has killed for me-what a tool

its fair to say it is a heavy rifle, maybe not an old mans gun lol

it is very accurate, solid and has a very smooth bolt. I used to put 3 bullets through the same hole with the original barrel

it was re-barrelled by PRS with a new Krieger barrel and is still shooting like a dream. it cost me £1200 for the new barrel

It is my favourite foxing rifle carried in the vehicle

I know other users of the SSG and they are still using them.

Sportsman gun centre still sells them and they never seem to have them on offer, they are obviously too popular to be offered cheap

Before getting the new barrel I contemplated replacing it, but I couldn't find anything that would be as accurate without spending a lot more money

long live the SSG

I am currently working on loads for this years SGA competition at Glen Tilt using the sierra 70 grns

Archived