IMR 4895

Panda

Hi folks. I was doing a bit of load work up today at Diggle with my 26" Remy 700 in .308 using Berger 175gn TOTM bullets over IMR4895 powder with COAL at 2.800" for magazine fed use for the likes of McQueen style comps and at 2.965" which is 50 thou off the lands (I can't get them much closer due to the case length and still have the neck get a decent hold of the bullet) for comps where hand loading is more practical.

Anyway, the reason for this post......I fired 34 rounds in total between pressure and group tests and have now spent almost 3 hours trying to clean the barrel using Riflecraft Carbon Cleaner on patches and Swab-its along with scrubbing it with a nylon brush and I'm still getting very dirty patches coming out (the first patches were absolutely black). I was wondering if anyone on here had used this powder and is it normally as dirty in barrels as it is in mine? I'm used to having the rifle cleaned and put away in 3 hours using Viht powder which I use in other .308 & 6.5-284 loads.

Any input would be much appreciated.

David

I'm using IMR4895 behind a .224 69gr SMK in a Remington 700. Recently switched to C2R from Shooting Shed and it's produced a clean barrel without having to use a brush. What I really like is you can leave to soak and go off to do something else. Try it, I really don't think you will be disappointed

Never heard of the cleaning fluids you're using...my advice is to get a bottle of KG1 and one of KG12 and giving it a go. Living with a bit of dirt sometimes isn't a bad thing, careful you don't clean that barrel to destruction...

Best wishes

Finman

I have never had a problem with the nylon brushes but I use the forrest bore foam and parker hale 009 powder solvent.

I have never used patches but I cut napier rifle clean to the right length , wrap it round a parker hale brass jag

and give it a good scrub.

Never spent more than an hour and half cleaning a barrel and that includes leaving the bore foam to sit for a couple

of 20 minute stretches while I have a cup of coffee or 2.

Wow, those are some long cleaning sessions you have. I dip a bronze brush in Hoppes Number 9, run it through and back once, leave it while I wash the brush and fit a jag then run 3 or 4 patches through until they come out white. Sparkly clean barrel in about 5 minutes.

I use IMR4895 - it is slightly dirtier than some - but not the worst

I belive your gaving a accumulated buildup that you need to remove.

I am biased - use C2R - since it removes the layers of copper and carbon at the same time.

It means whatever its exposed to you are getting traction on.

You can leave it in overnight and the remove using the instructions.

Some tests done by Davy on C2R - when he was a total sceptic

http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/2013/01/remember-the-last-borebullet-cleaning-comparative/

http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/2013/01/borebullet-cleaning-comparative-the-last-chapter/

If you want to use a foam base cleaner in his tests the WipeOut Product outperformed the Forrest MilFoam

Archived