If you could hat would be your custom kit

Now for the last year or so Ive always thought of owning a custom rifle, or customing a rifle I owned. Now I have only a 25-06 at present in the safe but after a few lamping sessions I have been thinking of a truck gun. Now ive seen a few custom jobs and guns which have been customised and thats got me thinking again!! So Ive been digging about and looking at whats out there and I dont think for 1 minute Ive covered all bases. So heres my (not cast in stone) rifle! And calibre well thats still being chewed over!

Predator short action (this would allow me to buy parts eg trigger gaurd, mag etc for 700?)

A varmint profile barrel 20" long (better for cab work!?) perhaps a pac-nor or any in stock sale tube that is within the budget.

jewell trigger

Boyds laminate thumbhole stock.

I would top this of with a night force scope, Ive seen one looked through but Ill be buggered if I know the model.

I know I could buy a shot out stick, and use the action from it and have all the parts but I'm unsure if this is the way forward for myself.

So what do you think? And What would be your "dream" custom job keeping the expenditure down to a working mans disposable income?

Over to you ;)

John

on a budget then you are off to a good start.

The Predator is a great action and when compared to a Rem 700 that will need truing they work out the same price (you can guess that the resale value on the Predator will be better though)

(I know of a certain firm who are charging £900 for trued Remington actions at present ;) ) hmmmmm nothing like value for money.....

Pac Nor or LW tubes are good, accurate and very cost effective.

You could opt for 2nd hand HS stock (they are about and I am certain one chap here has one for sale) use Rem 700 BDL bottom metal and you have a good base custom rifle.

Spend a few pounds more and get an AICS system (the Predator just drops in) and you have a rugged stock with integral mag system (5 /10 round)

Spend even more and get a Mcmillan, Manners, Wild Dog stock but remember you will need either a BDL system bottom metal or a detach mag system from Badger or HS Precison and that will add up to £350 to final costs. Which could put the composite stock option up to an extra £800 all in dependant on model.....

Laminates are another great alternative which will be in the same ball park as the 2nd hand HS (or not far away) and 2nd hand Rem 700 laminate varmint stocks look really nice if you can find them.

Great fun planning isnt it?

Spend a few pounds more and get an AICS system (the Predator just drops in) and you have a rugged stock with integral mag system (5 /10 round)

Link please!!!! ;)

Great fun planning isnt it?

Or perhaps dreaming bud, but if I do this it will be a long term scheme.

That is the very same mate.

I am building a 6.5x47 for a mate using a Predator short action, LW barrel and AICS stage 1.5 kit with 10 round mag (and Jewel trigger)

Cost of parts was very reasonable.

The AICS do not require bedding (although I will be doing my mates) so if things are tight, it may be the best option if you wanted full custom, otherwise use a donor rifle and just "re barrel"

Only thing to consider is these stocks (AICS) do not fit everyone, you must try one before committing.

You can buy a Boyds yourself mate, spec an inlett you have in mind for the rifle (Rem 700, whatever) I think it may require finishing though.

The other bits are relatively easy to come by.

I'll post some pics of the AICS build when I have glued, rivetted sticky taped it together then ;)

hi,

I was almost set on a predator and have switched to a TAC 30 (black with grey bolt) LW stainless barrel. Hogue stock & jet z compact moderator and of course a jewell trigger.

7mm-08 and a scope along the lines of a swarovski A line 6-18x50 or Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50

Rifle ordered, scope under review.

Andy

If I could have any components I wanted I would use the following

Krieger barrel

Bat action

McMillan A5 or ADJ HTG or a Manners MSCT4

Badger ordinance M5 DBM

Jewell trigger

Badger ordinance rail and rings

And a S&B PMII to top it off

I'm having a 6BR made to those specs with the McMillan A5, but alas I couldn't source a Bat action and so went for a Stiller Viper single shot action and will put a Nightforce on it.

My project at the moment is a 6.5x47 using a McMillan ADJ HTG, Badger ordinance bottom metal, rail and mounts which I bought during my trip to Texas( saving myself a small fortune!) I expect I will use a Stiller predator action as they seem quite easy to get hold of and aren't silly money. For the barrel I'm going for a Border 5R 26 inch with a Sako varmint profile. Either a Jewell trigger or perhaps the new CG depending on the reports I hear?, and I would like to think I might just bite the bullet and put a S&B PMII 4-16x42 on it.

Just to make it more interesting and to spread the cost out I'm trying to source all the parts myself, stick em in a box and then hand them over to Mr Norris and ask him to build it.

Ian

Ive used a CG trigger and they are nice, have one on the way for my own 6.5x47 on the BAT.

Cheaper than the Jewel and IMHO better feel (I prefer 2 stage)

Well at the risk of throwing my very last cat into the pigeons I'd go a different route. The man said a truck gun and for me that says all-position field accuracy, short 'n' handy and easy to use in the dark.

So I'd go for an AR15. The plus points are:

• Big mags, so fewer problems loading in the dark.
  • Jewell trigger? No problem
  • easy to trick up and add/replace bits later on.
  • collapsible stock = very short overall length.
  • with a reflex moderator coming back to the handguard they look awesome
  • Good handling characteristics
  • black is good at night
  • left or right hand cocking

I used to have one and on one memorably day put four consecutive shots in a playing card at 600 yards (so they can be accurate). They are noisy to cock but if you're in a truck I guess it could be making some kind of motor-type noises anyway.

For a truck gun I'd go with a 16" barrel which is more than enough for most field distances and keeps the size and balance right.

Cornishman

I,m gonna build another mcqueens gun very shortly, as the 6.5x47 has too fat a barrel for a brake, and to be honest, the best calibre for this discipline has to be the 6mmbr [i,ve got a single shot sako in it]

It will be built on a surgeon action, and a border target barrel, fitted and chambered by myself. It will have a jewell trigger, and our own magazine floorplate, running AI mags.Its going in a Russo stock, which is black/red laminate and i,m gonna fit it with an adjustable cheekpiece, and palm rest, and also a david tubb adj buttplate, then highly laquered. The barrel will have a vais brake, then all the metalwork will be duracoated in satin black, then the barrel and bolt flutes picked out in a bright red, to match the red in the stock. A right " tarts " gun ;)

I,m gonna build it because i didn,t quite get the 6.5x47 perfect for mcqueens, even though its winning matches in all other disciplines, and basically because i want to build a 6mmbr that mag feeds flawlessly, and has virtually no recoil.

Planning builds is half the fun aint it?

Planning builds is half the fun aint it?

Or one big headache!

Your new rifle sounds totally over the top, which I like.

Can anyone reccomend any of these actions over the other, they are all Remington 700 footprints, it has to mag feed and be a short action

Either the Borden Alpine or Rimrock http://www.bordenrifles.com/

Lawton, who I have just found out make the actions for G A Precision http://12.186.40.7/barney/7000%20series.htm

Stiller Predator or Tac 300 http://www.viperactions.com/

Surgeon, the most expensive , does that make it better, if so why? http://www.surgeonrifles.com/actions/short-action-repeater/

Pierce, amazing what you can find with google http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/products.html

Or Pheonix arms, who aren't in prodution yet, but set up by the guy who created Nesika Bay actions

Are there any Remington 700 footprint actions that I have missed?

Ian

Or one big headache!

Your new rifle sounds totally over the top, which I like.

Can anyone reccomend any of these actions over the other, they are all Remington 700 footprints, it has to mag feed and be a short action

Either the Borden Alpine or Rimrock http://www.bordenrifles.com/

Lawton, who I have just found out make the actions for G A Precision http://12.186.40.7/barney/7000%20series.htm

Stiller Predator or Tac 300 http://www.viperactions.com/

Surgeon, the most expensive , does that make it better, if so why? http://www.surgeonrifles.com/actions/short-action-repeater/

Pierce, amazing what you can find with google http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/products.html

Or Pheonix arms, who aren't in prodution yet, but set up by the guy who created Nesika Bay actions

Are there any Remington 700 footprint actions that I have missed?

Ian

The lawtons are good Elwood, and very reasonably priced for what they are, we have 50 coming in the next six months, mainly because the supply of remmy .308 actions has dried up, and of course the lawtons dont need blueprinting. I,ve seen a couple of guns that Steve Kershaw built on them, and they were very nice indeed.

Callum Ferguson uses bordens a fair bit.

Stillers are getting more common now too, personally i dont like the bolt handles on them, but thats purely personal taste on my part.

I know the surgeons are good, a friend has one, and its excellent. We have 15 on the way, and there is a big interest in them. They have an integral lug, and 20moa rail, and the tolerances are tighter at the abuttments, giving good clearance when the bolt is rearward, for dirt etc, but a tighter tolerance in battery, which contributes to their known accuracy.

Thought about an rpa ? remmy footprint, and will accept their own floorplate, or the badger. i have one, and it shoots....shot an 8" 5 shot group at 1000 yards on sunday, in a blustery 20mph wind...

Around a grand with a floorplate, and all the bits.

Rpa actions [the quadlite] are around the £795 mark.The come with recoil lug, and trigger housing to accept any rem type trigger.They are nice, the only fault i would say, is stiffish bolt lift, but you get used to it.

Of all the Rem 700 "clones" the Surgeon with the integral rail and recoil lug is the better (IMHO)

The factory is very good to deal with and will assist in the purchase of actions recomending exporter etc.

Im building a rfile for a mate on a Predator at the moment, it is good and comes with pinned lug and 20 MOA rail in with the price.

Not seen a Lawton, but I believe they are good.

The other alternative of course is BAT repeaters, which are also Rem 700 footprint with integral lug - Rolls Royce of action ;)

Not forgetting Borden Alpine and Timberline - great if you can get them, I know a certain scottish smith has been waiting months for backordered actions so you'l be very lucky to get one yourself in 6 months.

RPA work on a 12 week build time for the Quadlites.

Did I mention Surgeon have stock on the shelf?

If you look on Guntrader right now Jim Young has 4 Rem 700 new actions for sale ready for new builds.

Only reservation on this is you can buy an SPS for this money and they still need truing after that.....

Just my 2p

The other alternative of course is BAT repeaters, which are also Rem 700 footprint with integral lug - Rolls Royce of action ;)

I have just been swatting up on these, they are only 1050 dollars which is cheaper than the surgeon and Borden Rimrock and only a few dollars more than the Alpine or Timberline.

I'm in no rush, so a six month wait isn't a problem, I'm still waiting for projects one and two to be finished ;)

Interestingly enough, I went to buy some 17HMR ammo yesterday at my local RFD. He runs what I thought was a small concern and organized a few hunting safari holidays as well to help out. He then tells me he has an import and export license and has three or four large shipments from the US each year, and he kindly offered to import my action for me at cost only :(

As for the RPA, I know there have been a lot of very good rifles built around these actions, but there's something I don't like about them, which is silly because I'm really not qualified in engineering terms to make that judgment, I suppose it's like Baldie not liking the Stiller because of the bolt handle, although he is qualified to make that call, anyway I got around that problem by having a Badger ordinance bolt knob fitted to my Predator action.

So in conclusion it would seem that every action maker now makes an action to fit a Remington 700? It's very interesting and I'm quite enjoying the research, it's just making a final decision that's hard.

Ian

The Wizards at Surgeon really did their homework...They put alot of thought into the

makings of their action.

Heavier recoil lug.....its 1/4in thick and its integral.Machined as part of the action.

One piece bolt....NO and I repeat NO silver solder used.

The integral 20 moa rail Baldy mentioned does alot to reenforce the whole action.

Their threaded barrel/reciever joint is leaps and bounds above the others.

Panther could you explain to the less technically minded members on here ( I mean me :lol: ) the benefits of having NO silver solder, extra strength? and how the threaded barrel receiver joint is better than the others...just interested.

Ian

Ian

the Surgeon would be my top choice - I only bought a BAT because I needed an action PDQ and it was available.

The surgeon has extra barrel tenon length over the other actions as it has an integral recoil lug which is 1/4" thick, all other Rem clones (aside from the BAt) have washer type lugs which offer no support to the barrel.

The surgeon also has integral picatinny rail machined into the action top which also means extra rigidity.

Not sure about the bolt handle fix, my two Surgeons havent arrived yet otherwise i'd post you a pic :lol:

Theres nothing inherantly wrong with silver soldered bolt handles - if they break off its an easy fix, but if you break one off youve done something pretty major to fracture the joint as its nearly as strong as welded joint.

(sorry for butting in Pat)

Interestingly George Allen Precision (GAP) have stopped using LAwton 7000's for their rifles, they have sourced another supplier.

The actions are called the Templar and made by Phoenix Machine LLC, they look pretty nice and if you look at the link may be available at source (from Phoenix)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...6890#Post526890

Another possible would be Badger Ordnances new action which is due for production sooooooon at reasonable price..

I got a lawton action as thats what was around at the time!

Im not using the pictiny rail & will be using tally bases & rings

They also all seem to get good reviews so there u have it!

shillen barrel as i got reading about the BR wins they had but since i ordered it seems theres nothing in it bettween the top brands anyhows!

trigger wise jewle semed the obvious choice & regarded as about the best from most people

Mcmillan A5 in black white marble with bdl bottom metal & stainles mag followers ect

all slurry blasted to dum down the bling!

It was going to be a differnt rifle with lots of shiney bits but the robertsons stock being wrong put paid to that which has ment it being a more practical rifle!

Dasherman (Neil)on here is screwing it all together & its pretty much exactly waht i want so if im not happy its going to be my own bloody fault! :lol::lol:

Ill be sorting it out with a stealth 10 compact at some point

Andy

Archived