Polishing brass

LR Chris

I've just seen this video clip on Youtube & he puts Auto Glym resin polish into the tumbler with his media.

Does anyone else do this?

Is it a good idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3iMtdwbuiQ

I've never used auto glym, but have used '3M finesse it' which is a fine bodyshop cutting compound, and it works a treat. Just add it before the brass and run the tumbler for ten mins first to distribute it amongst the media, and stop it plugging up inside a case.

Pete

I thought I still had some "rouged" cases left and I did.

It's been sitting for 6 months and it's hard to photograph but the one on the left has been tumbled in treated corn cob for 4 hours and the one on the right was very old treated corn cob and about 3 table spoons of powdered jewelers rouge for about an hour.

shinycase.jpg

Never found the need to "tumble" brass. Seems a pointless time consuming process to me.....

But then I'm only a "newbie" :)

Other than the usual brass prep i've always put each case in the "Lee screw lock" mechanism used for trimming cases, and used some 0000 wire wool. 3 seconds of running the wire wool up and down the case spinning in the cordless drill has left it gleaming on the outside.

I've then used a stiff nylon calibre specific brush to clean the inside of the neck while spinning the brass in the fore-mentioned "Lee" adapter.

Takes a few minutes of the time, and "4 hours" less electricity..... Or at least as far as I understand....

Please feel free, to "shoot me down" objectively, and not offensively though.

Jamie

Clean the necks with Brasso, de-cap and size, then 30 mins in an ultrasonic bath. Cases come out like new.

Using Brasso was a tip given by a well known F T/R shooter; and before anyone suggests it'll wear down the cases, I reason they will be well past their life before that happens.

Manually cleaning each case in a zip trim sounds like way more work than dumping them in a tumbler then going to the pub.

Not that is something I can't disagree with! :lol:

Never found the need to "tumble" brass. Seems a pointless time consuming process to me.....

Other than the usual brass prep i've always put each case in the "Lee screw lock" mechanism used for trimming cases, and used some 0000 wire wool. 3 seconds of running the wire wool up and down the case spinning in the cordless drill has left it gleaming on the outside.

I've then used a stiff nylon calibre specific brush to clean the inside of the neck while spinning the brass in the fore-mentioned "Lee" adapter.

Takes a few minutes of the time, and "4 hours" less electricity..... Or at least as far as I understand....

Jamie

Hey mate if it works for its up to you , mostly i tumble but somtimes when using certain powders that arnt dirty on the outside , ill just wire woll lightly and hey presto ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use a mixture of walnut media mixed 50/50 with maize and pour some brasso in. cuts clean time immensely miles cheaper and will easily do 400+ rounds plus you don't need to buy a fancy schmancy tumbler.

Not tried autoglym, bit pricy compared to brasso.

All the best.

CZV

Just a thought about using wire wool to clean your cases. Any stray fine hairs of wire wool left on your bench will eventually find their way onto the damping magnets on your scales and cause erratic readings.

Just a thought about using wire wool to clean your cases. Any stray fine hairs of wire wool left on your bench will eventually find their way onto the damping magnets on your scales and cause erratic readings.

Good point , i put my scales up on the window cill and stand whilst charging , that way i can see the pointer without bending uncomfortably over ! - i can sence some1 like 204rem saying something about this or pc- gaz etc lol :lol:

I forgot my brass after the last damp RRC, it sat in the boxes for 10 days and went green and furry! A lengthy tumble has sorted it.

I imagine tumbling with brasso or similar would give some protection against this but worry that a film of residual compound might reduce chamber "grip" on firing, shortening lifespan through stretching?

Jamie

Hi jamie , i tried the cordless using a nylon brush for inside neck cleaning , better than using hand power . Saves the 'hand cramp' for sure . Used a 6.5or30 nylon brush also for removing some of the black sooty residu also from inside the case body ! Now just going for a play tmw ;)

Auto glym works a treat

Hi gary does this work inside the case body as no matter how long i tumble they stay sooty on inside ? Cheers pal

Hi gary does this work inside the case body as no matter how long i tumble they stay sooty on inside ? Cheers pal

Only on the outside, once cases are full of media there is no movement hence no polishing

If you want the insides clean then you need to either ultrasonic or stainless steel tumble mate

Cheers danny , was pondering getting some couple of days ago, but was thinking what was the size of the media as 20 cal neck on the cases ? would it still get inside and work / clean ok? - probably atb tim

Archived